Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2023, 09:02 PM

8,394 posts, read 4,418,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
You’re on permanent ignore, keep babbling.
You constantly keep addressing me here - an interesting way of ignoring me

Old 12-04-2023, 09:09 PM

3,104 posts, read 2,235,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Look into RVing. I don't know what you drive but if you can tow a trailer you might find some reasonably priced used ones for sale right about now.

You can camp in the comfort of your trailer on a lake or at the beach. You could spend a night or two at an over 55 park that has amenities like pickle ball, a swimming pool, a clubhouse, even a tiki bar for cheaper than a budget hotel room.

Have your fun with it, keep it well maintained and once you've had your fill you can turn around and sell it and get most of your money back.
RV’ing is fun. We have a camping trailer, just a different way to accomplish the same thing. It is very nice and fun. We enjoy it very much. However, it is not ‘economical’ or ‘get your money back’ sort of proposition. It’s not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, it is bit of money pit (ours is new and high quality) that gives you pleasure. So, much as it is something we appreciate, it is definitely not the answer to CalWorth’s post you were responding, where she specifically mentioned economical way to spend few days in the sun. RV’ing is anything but.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:17 PM

88,679 posts, read 84,998,937 times
So all the way back to something I said in Post No. 2, I called about an apartment I saw online in my daughter's city. It is on her street, in fact, and it's the same landlord as hers.

They will do a six-month lease. I am having her check it out Wednesday. I might take this leap.

Old 12-05-2023, 04:13 AM

1,561 posts, read 1,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So all the way back to something I said in Post No. 2, I called about an apartment I saw online in my daughter's city. It is on her street, in fact, and it's the same landlord as hers.

They will do a six-month lease. I am having her check it out Wednesday. I might take this leap.
That's a great idea to go for a 6 month lease. You will have time to explore a new area while making decisions as to what you want to do going forward.

Old 12-05-2023, 05:20 AM

8,394 posts, read 4,418,543 times
Quote:

That sounds perfect. Sometimes everything in the universe aligns just right somehow :-).

So if the test drive works out ok, what will you do? Keep both your place in New Jersey and the rental in Pittsburgh, or move to Pittsburgh? For me, living on two costs was very habit-forming. Once I established the rhythm of switching between two places, it became inconceivable to live any other way.

Old 12-05-2023, 06:37 AM

17,423 posts, read 16,597,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
RV’ing is fun. We have a camping trailer, just a different way to accomplish the same thing. It is very nice and fun. We enjoy it very much. However, it is not ‘economical’ or ‘get your money back’ sort of proposition. It’s not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, it is bit of money pit (ours is new and high quality) that gives you pleasure. So, much as it is something we appreciate, it is definitely not the answer to CalWorth’s post you were responding, where she specifically mentioned economical way to spend few days in the sun. RV’ing is anything but.
I actually told CalWorth to look into used travel trailers. I'm sure you can find one for under 15K.

You can definitely find campgrounds going for as low as $20/night. I've seen oceanfront campsites going for $60/night compared to the $300/night you would spend on a hotel room.

On a travel day you can also pull over and stay the night in the parking lots of certain businesses like truck stops where you don't pay anything.

When we've camped we've always slept in tents so the idea of sleeping in a travel trailer with a little kitchen and a bathroom, even a !2K used one, sounds pretty fancy to me.

Old 12-05-2023, 07:10 AM

4,617 posts, read 3,317,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
That sounds perfect. Sometimes everything in the universe aligns just right somehow :-).
For me, living on two coasts was very habit-forming. Once I established the rhythm of switching between two places, it became inconceivable to live any other way.
Haha, we did that for awhile and I kept having trouble talking about which direction was inland - east or west.

Old 12-05-2023, 09:46 AM

17,356 posts, read 11,323,665 times
Quote:

That's exciting! Fingers crossed here that it's perfect for you

Old 12-05-2023, 09:49 AM

17,423 posts, read 16,597,202 times
Quote:

This is exciting news! It would be wonderful if this apartment works out for you!

Old 12-05-2023, 09:53 AM

7,182 posts, read 4,589,537 times
MQ, I really hope you get the apartment!! It’s a great way to try out the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement