Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 10:20 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Having a car doesn't stop mother, z from walking at other times.

Americans have just become more sedentary
Walking, portion control. and no fast food. Right now DIL, her two sisters and their mother are in Italy, visiting a 20 yo niece/daughter/granddaughter who is studying in Verona for five months. She looks very Euro/Italian these days, lol - big hoop earrings, long dark hair, trendy clothes. ...lol

With the exception of their mother, all three US women have had serious issues with weight. DIL mentioned today in her FB upate that portions in Italy are much smaller/more sensible than here. Expecting all will have lost weight by the time they get back - touring Verona, Florence and Rome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 04:15 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
I went to art school in Italy, and while living there noticed how RELAXED everyone was - more laid back than stressed-out hyper Americans. You often saw people singing out load just walking down the street or at work.
So maybe the reduction in stress counts a lot along with diet differences.
Also, there was not the prevalence of Coke, Pepsi and sugar-loaded sodas as are here — although this was many years ago, so may have changed by now.

Old 03-20-2024, 05:51 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I went to art school in Italy, and while living there noticed how RELAXED everyone was - more laid back than stressed-out hyper Americans. You often saw people singing out load just walking down the street or at work.
So maybe the reduction in stress counts a lot along with diet differences.
Also, there was not the prevalence of Coke, Pepsi and sugar-loaded sodas as are here — although this was many years ago, so may have changed by now.
Yes, and this goes back to a life style, culture found in Italy and the Mediterranean in general vs the lifestyle of the Puritans or Northern Europeans which was discussed a little bit in another thread. Going home during a 3 hour lunch break to eat the main meal of the day with family and taking afternoon naps all play into it. As I stated in another thread, it's a different way to live one's life with different priorities than Americans are used to. I hope it hasn't changed for the most part.

Good healthy food, not overeating, more casual walking, less stress with more time relaxing I'm sure plays a role in a longer life. Being content where one is in life rather than always trying to have more is included. Stop and smell the roses. This sounds pretty easy for retirees and seniors to embrace, but many don't or won't because that's not how they've lived their life.

Last edited by marino760; 03-20-2024 at 07:02 AM..

Old 03-20-2024, 09:01 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Anyhow, with a diet largely free of meat and diary products, and not even frequent eggs, it is hard to get enough protein.
Nonsense. I'm 6'4", 230lbs, lift weights, and haven't eaten any animal products in years and yet I have no difficulty getting all the protein I need. However, if it is an issue for you, why not simply add a plant-based protein drink to your diet? Here's one from Owyn that contains 20g of protein, is low in sugar, and contains no artificial sweeteners. And you don't have to order it online; it's available at many supermarkets and national chains such as CVS, WalMart, and Target.

https://liveowyn.com/products/protein-shakes/?sku=8419

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
But there is no Walmart in Boston. Even if I take the commuter rail to one of the smaller towns in the Boston Metro area, the local Walmart will be somewhere on a highway, where I can't really get without a car (which I don't own, and don't feel like renting for the thrilling adventure of visiting a Walmart in Framingham MA :-). I could try Whole Foods for tamarind beans, but I don't think they will have citric acid.
You can order items to be shipped from WalMart just like you can with Amazon. I just checked and they do sell and ship 5lb bags of non-gmo citric acid (among other options).

Old 03-23-2024, 05:17 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Things vary to the person.

My cooking has become Cowgirl style, shades (but not exactly) of out on the range or pioneer women in the Westerns or Maggie O'Connell or Yosemite Sam in "Fair Haired Hare". I eat meat but I don't drink, don't do pasta or fast food, and I cook from raw goods, use well water. Milk is now from powder and then only as it is needed for baking. Frozen OJ and the like are things of the past. I make and eat corn bread and rarely buy store bread, even tortillas.

As I have often said, I am in the best environment, on a ranch in a forest, for me. It is relaxing to my spirit, it recharges my soul.

Things could be vastly different, such as the stress to my body, if I had to live in the city.

Old 03-23-2024, 05:33 PM

7,821 posts, read 3,817,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
My cooking has become Cowgirl style, shades (but not exactly) of out on the range or pioneer women in the Westerns or Maggie O'Connell or Yosemite Sam in "Fair Haired Hare".
How about "Cowgirl Coffee?"

Old 03-23-2024, 05:36 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
How about "Cowgirl Coffee?"
I make that every day. A coffee pot on the stove top with the coffee dumped on the surface, bring to a boil, drink it straight out of the pot like that.

Old 03-24-2024, 01:12 AM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Ya'll do everything the hard way.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:05 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Since just about every credible report/article I read recommends a diet heavily skewed toward:

--whole foods/grains
--lots of fruits/vegetables
--nuts/seeds
--fatty fish and
--beans

The more we deviate from this, the more ill-health and obesity we get...

And that diet eliminates just about all fast foods, beverages other than water or green tea, packaged foods and restaurant meals (except the rare farm-to-table or vegetarian ones).

The other day, while grocery shopping, the woman ahead of me in line to check-out (in a motorized shopping cart), had 4 12-packs of cola, two packages of donuts. And some hot dogs. That was it. She was huge, on oxygen.

We are what we eat.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:34 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
I refuse to deprive myself of small pleasures of life. We cook from scratch. Canned goods are limited to tomatoe, beans, corn. Right now there is a thin foccaccia studded with smoked ham bits and melted onions, sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan in the oven. Perfect with a glass or two of wine when SO comes home and tells me about his play date.
Life is too short and too unpredictable to not enjoy it.
Why all this hate about "huge people" and junk food? What about the diet thread on CD? Personally I find people who were large are the worst haters. My family and my in-laws are/were obsessed with weight. I met my MIL when I was a size 6 at 6 feet. The first thing she did was rummage in her bag and give me a box of Dexatrim. Mumsy refuses to eat as she might gain a pound. at 86 and still 5:11 a size 8 is loose. She has every problem associated with lack of proper diet. A broken hip is not healing so a replacement is on the horizon.
Call me fat at a size 16. Yes, I could go to a 14 but I am happy. No medication, no problems.
Nobody is forced to eat out, eat at trough restaurants and take doggie bags home, eat everything on the plate and in sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement