Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 12:11 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Since just about every credible report/article I read recommends a diet heavily skewed toward:

--whole foods/grains
--lots of fruits/vegetables
--nuts/seeds
--fatty fish and
--beans

The more we deviate from this, the more ill-health and obesity we get...

And that diet eliminates just about all fast foods, beverages other than water or green tea, packaged foods and restaurant meals (except the rare farm-to-table or vegetarian ones).

The other day, while grocery shopping, the woman ahead of me in line to check-out (in a motorized shopping cart), had 4 12-packs of cola, two packages of donuts. And some hot dogs. That was it. She was huge, on oxygen.

We are what we eat.
Well said. I find a lot of older women just don't like to cook anymore so they buy frozen meals or go out to eat a lot. I can't eat out more than twice a week (if that) without feeling bloated and lethargic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2024, 12:15 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I get a Mediterranean diet delivered weekly from a meal plan. Buy whatever fruit shows up at the local market and yoghurt. No alcohol or soda and love to eat at the excellent restaurants that are in my tiny town. Maybe once or twice a week. One has the best salads (local produce) that I've ever had. If a sandwich has a side order, I get salad instead of the fries.

Old 03-24-2024, 12:32 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well said. I find a lot of older women just don't like to cook anymore so they buy frozen meals or go out to eat a lot. I can't eat out more than twice a week (if that) without feeling bloated and lethargic.
Makes me wonder how much input they had for the kitchens where they live. It also makes me wonder of what the population of counter top appliances are. It is probably not cause and effect, though, just a curious relationship.

Me, being a Romantic, that is counter. For example, a 1st season episode of Charlie's Angels, "Angel Trap"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0539161/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1
has Sabrina playing girlfriend to the target. After dinner, "You must not have been married much. Unmarried men either eat out a lot or learn to cook and you put out a heck of a spread.". From that to The Wild, Wild West to books like Robyn Davidson's "Tracks", much of how I learned of life came from such.

Now, what I often do is cook a meat/bean stew on Sunday, put that in pitchers in the frig, and that gives me a quick meal for a few meals during the week......until I finish it and it is time to make another stew.

Finally, there is A and B to the above Given. A: My style of shopping at the grocery is once a month or so, not every few days. B: My freezers are dedicated to long time storage, not instant frozen meals. I do keep some frozen pizzas in one, in deep storage, but that is more as quick meals for guests........

.........and then, there is C: Since I don't drink anymore, I have had no use for ice trays. I think I still have some in the top of the frig but haven't seen them forever, that region being filled up with frozen meats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I refuse to deprive myself of small pleasures of life. We cook from scratch. Canned goods are limited to tomatoe, beans, corn..
Primary canned veggies are corns and tomatoes. Beans are dry goods on the counter.

Now, I do have a lot of canned meats: fish, seafood, ham, chicken, turkey, and the like. Fish and seafood are constants for salads and cornbread. On the note of those two, I have pretty much given up on store bought croutons. First, I just see it go higher and higher in price. Secondly, it really upsets my blood sugar numbers. So for salads (and stews if I need that), instead of croutons, I use cornbread.

On salads, sometimes, I get into a "Tammy Tell Me True"* kick and cook up catfish to put in my salad instead of canned fish. It just takes a while longer to go that way.

The other cans should be "emergency food" but they get used from time to time, especially when I need a quick meal that goes in with my Type II eating needs.

I need to learn how to make chili so I am not consuming cans of it so often....not buying it so often.
*In https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055503/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 a sub theme to Tammy's simple life is that she eats the catfish she catches from her houseboat. It's not a hobby, fishing, but a way of life.

EDIT: I did get into a "Tammy..." mood and did make this salad with pan fried catfish. Romaine lettuce, corn bread, Romano dried cheese, Feta, Italian tomatoes, sun flower seeds, Basil, Garlic, Anchovy paste, olives, avocado.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-24-2024 at 01:25 PM..

Old 03-24-2024, 04:49 PM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
I did an extra large detox salad yesterday for lunch and dinner. Red onion, cucumber, cherry tomatoes with a vinegar based dressing. I have been taking odorless garlic pills to clear a chronic sinus infection. Today I had a couple of pork chops. I honestly cannot remember the last time I had pork chops (maybe two or three years ago).

I'll tell you I am such a good f'ing cook (when I cook). It was just inherited from my dad. One other sister (out of five siblings) got that gene too. I plan to cook for friends once in a while or more regularly during retirement.

The pandemic got me cooking again and away from restaurant meals. Not going back. Everything I make is far superior. I will do a restaurant only to socialize (period).

Old 03-24-2024, 05:43 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I did an extra large detox salad yesterday for lunch and dinner. Red onion, cucumber, cherry tomatoes with a vinegar based dressing. I have been taking odorless garlic pills to clear a chronic sinus infection. Today I had a couple of pork chops. I honestly cannot remember the last time I had pork chops (maybe two or three years ago).

I'll tell you I am such a good f'ing cook (when I cook). It was just inherited from my dad. One other sister (out of five siblings) got that gene too. I plan to cook for friends once in a while or more regularly during retirement.

The pandemic got me cooking again and away from restaurant meals. Not going back. Everything I make is far superior. I will do a restaurant only to socialize (period).
I'm also a pretty good cook, definitely a healthy cook. Wife is a better cook but she doesn't like to do it much so I'm doing 90% of our cooking. I go out to eat about once every few months and only to socialize, nowhere has food as delicious and healthy as mine.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:44 AM

7,742 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Here is a nice article on seniors staying active...

These Skiers Are Still Chasing Powder in Their 80s and 90s
For the Wild old Bunch of Alta, Utah, getting older means more time for the mountain. And anyone over 80 skis free.

A couple quotes:

Quote:
The Wild old Bunch (with a lowercase “o” to de-emphasize the “old”) started in 1973 and has around 115 members. A few depart each year, some to the deep powder of the afterlife and others to an old age without skiing. Jan Brunvand, 90, suffered a scary fall his first day this season and decided 85 years on skis was enough. But fueled by baby boomers, the group’s rolls stay strong.
and

Quote:
“It’s hard to believe 90-year-olds can ski that well until you see them do it,” said Dr. Brett Toresdahl, an associate professor of sports medicine at the University of Utah, who sees plenty of older skiers — in his practice and on the slopes. “You’d assume that it’s foolish for them to continue skiing, but when done carefully and wisely, it can be a great way for them to stay healthy and be in community.”
https://archive.fo/jtfZI

Old 03-25-2024, 11:10 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
A friend of mine has been skiing since she was 3 and is in excellent condition. She broke her leg badly and had 2 surgeries, pins, screws, etc and is out of commission for a long time. She has had a lot of pain. She’s 65 and the entire family ski’s including her 5 year old grandson. It will be interesting to see if she returns to skiing. I prefer to stay active in safer ways.

Old 03-25-2024, 12:02 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times
I have lived a healthy life and in pretty good health condition. Our diet could be classified either as a Mediterrean or Altantic diet. We hike daily work outdoor in our garden, orchard and vineyard. In addition, I lift weights, exercises, do treadmill and often row on the river when weather permits.

The only health issue that I have is being pre diabetic which I have kept it from progressing further in the last 10 years. This could be due either a genetic or environmental factor (chemical exposure) so I can only manage and not totally eliminate the problem.

Would I want to drastically change my current diet to get my blood sugar back into normal range? This depends on whether I would enjoy the diet. There is no way that I would want to only consume bland or horrible tasting foods in order to be 'healthier'. I would not eliminate some foods or drinks that I enjoy unless they are 'toxic'. I like a variety of foods so diets which focus or restrict to only certain kinds of foods like keto, vegan or vegetarian do not appeal to me.

The same goes with exercises. I would never want to go to the extreme like being a marathon runner or train hard to win races. I just want to do things in moderation and would never take up any risky sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement