Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 04:50 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
Right now I'm looking at three options:

65 1/2ish when the house is paid off.
FRA - 67

I plan to retire once the house is paid off but I may delay taking SS.
I only had a 15 year mortgage, so my house was paid off in my 40s. I do want to sell once all my pets cross the bridge and then move to the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 06:45 PM

3,039 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Quote:
I'm still considering taking it at 67 or 70. I'm only 59 1/2 right now, and its likely that there will be changes (lower and/or taxed more) than what my current SS projections are by the time I start collecting. The only reason to wait is for the increased survivor benefit. My current SS estimate at 67 is $3,148 and $4,248 at 70. Eventually I'll also get a FERS pension $1,300 - $1,500.

I plan to have the house paid off in 6 years and retire. Average monthly cost (not counting the mortgage) is roughly $1,350 for utilities, HOA, streaming services, phones, pest control, alarm monitoring etc. Does not include groceries.

My wife is 4 years younger than me, and she's always been a low earner. Right now her net monthly income is only $2,200. That's $860 from her FERS pension and $1,340 from SSDI.

I've already set up the Survivor Benefit Plan for my Military pension which currently is a little over $2800. As long as I live at least another 4 1/2 years she should also get Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) from the VA since I'm 100% P&T. The current amount is $1613 plus she should also get another $342 for the 8 year provision. She may also qualify for around $600 more from the VA depending on her health and what if any help she may need.

The gross would be $4,755 - $5,355.

And all the income above has COLAs.

Now that I've written it down like this, I'm leaning towards taking SS once the house is paid off which would be 65 1/2 or so.

What do you think?
You don't say what you will do for medical insurance. If you are not working may have to apply for Medicare when you can at 65. If you were working for a company with creditable health insurance could delay to 67 or 70. Since you are 59 now makes a 7 year window to fill. Having the house paid off in 6 years is a good target. Could also be good time to do upgrades in the bathroom & other areas of the house with senior living in mind.

In this 7 years look at your 401K/IRA and see if you can convert some into Roth. Would also be good time to do HSA.

Old 12-13-2023, 06:53 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
You don't say what you will do for medical insurance. If you are not working may have to apply for Medicare when you can at 65. If you were working for a company with creditable health insurance could delay to 67 or 70. Since you are 59 now makes a 7 year window to fill. Having the house paid off in 6 years is a good target. Could also be good time to do upgrades in the bathroom & other areas of the house with senior living in mind.

In this 7 years look at your 401K/IRA and see if you can convert some into Roth. Would also be good time to do HSA.

They have Tri-Care through the military/VA. So, they are set that way.

Old 12-13-2023, 07:12 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,546,655 times
This may seem contrary, but one theory is if you have no pension and are relying on savings, delay until FRA, or beyond. And if you have a pension take it earlier. The idea is if you are relying solely upon savings you will need a higher benefit as you drawn down, in addition to being at the mercy of the markets. With a pension the benefit will always be there, and will likely raise a bit with COLAs. YMMV.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:26 PM

534 posts, read 479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I only had a 15 year mortgage, so my house was paid off in my 40s. I do want to sell once all my pets cross the bridge and then move to the beach.
Which beach?

Old 12-13-2023, 10:38 PM

3,257 posts, read 1,410,291 times
Quote:
Yes I could take it at 62, but since I plan to keep working until at least 65 to pay the house, the tax hit would be huge.

Unfortunately I've never been much of a saver. We've lived paycheck to paycheck the majority of the time. Right now I only have a little over $100,000 in my TSP (401K). My saving grace is the multiple "pension" income streams I have now and will continue into retirement. All of which have COLAs. My wife has her FERS disability retirement and SSDI which will convert to regular SS at FRA. I have my military retirement and VA disability now and will eventually add my own FERS retirement and SS. Any retirement savings is just extra $.
It sounds like you are (or will be in) a very nice spot having all of your financial needs met by your pensions and annuities. Should make for a worry free (financially anyway) retirement!

Old 12-14-2023, 05:36 AM

774 posts, read 1,048,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I do have a 15 year mortgage at 2.5% but we only bought the house in December 2020. I'm on track to pay it off in less than 10 years.

Last edited by djplourd; 12-14-2023 at 05:50 AM..

Old 12-14-2023, 05:49 AM

774 posts, read 1,048,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post

Tricare requires me to sign up for Medicare at age 65 regardless of whether or not I'm still working. Tricare for Life functions as a Medigap to cover the 20% that Medicare doesn't.

Old 12-14-2023, 08:50 AM

3,039 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Quote:
Tricare requires me to sign up for Medicare at age 65 regardless of whether or not I'm still working. Tricare for Life functions as a Medigap to cover the 20% that Medicare doesn't.
In this case maybe sign up for Social Security at the same time. Have SS pay the Medicare premiums. One less bill to pay,

Old 12-14-2023, 09:30 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
I'm still considering taking it at 67 or 70.

... What do you think?
I have learned that each person looks at this issue differently.

In one person's mind, it makes sense to take SS benefits at the earliest opportunity. AND in another person's reasoning, it makes sense to take SS benefits at a later date. AND for a third person in his way of thinking it makes sense to hold off and take the benefits at the latest date.

There is no single 'right' answer.

I posted a thread when I was approaching my SS eligibility, and I explained how I thought about the equation. https://www.city-data.com/forum/reti...ly-social.html

I wish you luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement