Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 03:32 AM

7,651 posts, read 3,284,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
does your 401k plan allow for in service distributions ?

most don’t allow money to be taken until you are no longer working there.

also i have no idea how these leveraged 60/40 will do so i personally don’t recommend them other then for experimenting.

these etfs are to new
Yes, if you are 59 1/2. You just have to pay taxes on it if it is a withdrawal. You can also do a rollover.

I realize about that fund MJ. That's likely why I am attracted to it. I have a gambling DNA/gene. What else is on that menu of yours that uses leverage or high stakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 03:39 AM

106,786 posts, read 109,020,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yes, if you are 59 1/2. You just have to pay taxes on it if it is a withdrawal. You can also do a rollover.

I realize about that fund MJ. That's likely why I am attracted to it. I have a gambling DNA/gene. What else is on that menu of yours that uses leverage or high stakes?
i had to quit to get mine …i cleaned it out 2x .

once when i retired , then i started a new one when i was doing a day a week . then i took it a second time when i thought is was done last june but since got drafted back in to action

i had the option of starting a 3rd time and throwing my check in but i am taking the pay check now .

much rather have it in my ira where i can have it invested the way i want .

plus while we have a pretty low cost 401k , the same vanguard s&p 500 fund has an expense ratio of .52% vs in my ira where it is .03

Old 12-15-2023, 03:45 AM

Quote:
i had to quit to get mine …i cleaned it out 2x .

once when i retired , then i started a new one when i was doing a day a week . then i took it a second time when i thought is was done last june but since got drafted back in to action

i had the option of starting a 3rd time and throwing my check in but i am taking the pay check now .

much rather have it in my ira where i can have it invested the way i want .

plus while we have a pretty low cost 401k , the same vanguard s&p 500 fund has an expense ratio of .52% vs in my ira where it is .03

With my background in some ways it's better locked up. But, I have had my Fidelity accounts for decades and I know how easy it is it to call Fidelity and have them process rollovers.

The only part I could not rollover is the employer contributions. Plus, I am unsure of other limitations on the amount of the rollover.

Mathjak, if they need you so desperately, they should have been giving you equity / a piece of the action of that business.

Old 12-15-2023, 03:51 AM

Quote:
When I talk about delaying SS I do not mean that I am still working. I just mean I am delaying taking it. My plan is 5 more years and retiring around 66 (mostly because I need to buy shxt like a roof, a new or newish car, another round of a/c, furnace, etc.).
working longer and delaying ss is the silver bullet to an underfunded retirement.

one isn’t spending down

they are still adding to retirement money

they are decreasing the amount of time they need to support themselves on what they have as they get older and work longer

social security amounts are growing .

so working longer is a big plus to helping an underfunded retirement .

it is retiring earlier and delaying where things get murky ,since one needs to spend down their own money to live that could have stayed or be invested , there can be thousands in spousal benefits unable to be obtained until they file , there can be increased medicare premiums from no hold harmless .

so there is a lot more involved when not working and retiring earlier and delaying may not be the clear cut winner

Old 12-15-2023, 03:56 AM

Quote:
With my background in some ways it's better locked up. But, I have had my Fidelity accounts for decades and I know how easy it is it to call Fidelity and have them process rollovers.

The only part I could not rollover is the employer contributions. Plus, I am unsure of other limitations on the amount of the rollover.

Mathjak, if they need you so desperately, they should have been giving you equity / a piece of the action of that business.
they just pay me well to help them , there is no chance of any equity .it is a 170 million dollar company with 350 people owned by one man and now his kids .

but the main thing is i enjoy it … i have lots of work friends and can work as much or as little as i want .

i have been doing two days lately … next week it is 3 days since people are off, so pretty much my wife controls how many days i do based on the weather . if it’s nasty or to cold to be out she lets me go in .

so i have no real schedule which is great

i love the money coming in from the two or 3 days as it covers most of our weekly bills without spending down much from our own money.

i can do this forever as long as i am healthy enough , as i do enjoy what i do

so having a side hustle in retirement that you enjoy can be a big plus

Old 12-15-2023, 04:06 AM

Quote:
working longer and delaying ss is the silver bullet to an underfunded retirement.

one isn’t spending down

they are still adding to retirement money

they are decreasing the amount of time they need to support themselves on what they have as they get older and work longer

social security amounts are growing .

so working longer is a big plus to helping an underfunded retirement .

it is retiring earlier and delaying where things get murky ,since one needs to spend down their own money to live that could have stayed or be invested , there can be thousands in spousal benefits unable to be obtained until they file , their can be increased medicare premiums from no hold harmless .

so there is a lot more involved when not working and retiring earlier and delaying may not be the clear cut winner

If I had continued my prior strategy with my investing instead of going crazy the way I did I would be pretty set right now (sigh)! I also had leave without pay for a couple of years (not all at once) which was also a big set back. I got run over by a truck (which meant my career is not exactly what it should have been the last 18 years). I married wrong and was divorced. I did not get a degree until I was 35 (so, got a late start in my career). I have the kind of work where it is kind of hard to get people (there's a shortage).

I am not considering "retiring early" unless something happens. Even at that I do have a private disability policy for 'own occupation' where I would retain my current income for at least two years (enough time to transition). I do have some risk because my job needs to be face to face (even travel) but, they have worked with me (with my handicap). They may help me move to a position that is more of a permanent WFH (that job could make it real easy to stay forever and a day). But, it is a powder puff job compared to what I do (and they need me to do what I do). So, we'll see what happens with that.

I am 61 1/2 now and the earliest I anticipate retiring is 66. I don't think that is considered "early retirement."

Like I said, if I retire at 66 or 67 I could Easily delay Social Security to 69 or 70. And, you can change your mind on that any day. I understand that does not work for others. Since I am single I can do whatever I want.

Old 12-15-2023, 04:15 AM

well working longer and delaying ss can be worth as much as 800k being saved so it is definitely the silver bullet .

despite most intentions to work longer something ends up stopping them .

in this case 73% of workers thought they would work past 65 , only 27% actually did and way less made it to 70 working

Old 12-15-2023, 04:18 AM

Yes, I know. It's well documented. The last 5 years of work are the most critical.

Old 12-15-2023, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, I know. It's well documented. The last 5 years of work are the most critical.
we realized the other day that even though i took about 3 months off this year and didn’t work at all , between ss , her small pension and my part time work we had 115k come in this year ..

that was crazy

Old 12-15-2023, 04:33 AM

Quote:
we realized the other day that even though i took about 3 months off this year and didn’t work at all , between ss , her small pension and my part time work we had 115k come in this year ..

that was crazy
Yeah, that's the thing is I could take my pension and work elsewhere (better if I wait six months to 62). But, not being a couple for the last 32 years has been a massive disadvantage. I really lose track of how many ways I F'd up in life. I was never focused on money either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement