Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 11:42 AM

17,614 posts, read 13,401,998 times

Advertisements

https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement...p-some-of-them
Quote:
In the world of retirement, a growing concern emerges as retirees, despite having the financial means for their envisioned retirement lifestyle, find themselves grappling with isolation, depression, identity, lack of purpose and mental health challenges. This poignant issue stems from a profound disconnect between the perceived desires of retirement and the essential elements required for true happiness and well-being.
In the initial phases of retirement, it's common for individuals to plan a bucket list of trips and quality time with their loved ones. Most fail to implement the wish list of activities. Their retirement plans never experience lift-off.

For those who embark on the bucket list, the excitement of the jet-setting lifestyle fades after a year or two. They start strong, and the once-thrilling lifestyle loses its allure.
We don't jet-set, but travel in the US and Canada 6-10 weeks a year.

National Parks never get old or lose their allure. At almost 80, road trips are great!!!!!

I'm sitting on almost 1/2 Million air miles from 30 years of travel for work and have no desire to get in an aluminum tube with angry strangers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 01:01 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,037,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement...p-some-of-themWe don't jet-set, but travel in the US and Canada 6-10 weeks a year.

National Parks never get old or lose their allure. At almost 80, road trips are great!!!!!

I'm sitting on almost 1/2 Million air miles from 30 years of travel for work and have no desire to get in an aluminum tube with angry strangers
No, you'd rather get on a long, narrow stretch of paved asphalt or concrete where thousands upon thousands of those angry strangers are each in control of two-tons of machinery with varying degrees of proficiency and intelligence.

Thank you, no.

I'd rather let skilled pilots and trained ATC personnel ensure that I safely get to where I want to be.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:15 PM

14,968 posts, read 12,185,957 times
And I'm perfectly happy not traveling at all. Different strokes and all.....

Old 02-21-2024, 03:16 PM

7,182 posts, read 4,581,322 times
I knew before I retired that I didn’t have enough hobbies to keep me busy and I only want to do some volunteering. Of the 12 years I’ve been retired I have either taught a university course or consulted part time in my previous career.

When I was married we traveled with our 4 dogs all over the country in a motorhome. We saw many national parks and visited friends. We also went on cruises and to Europe. I’ve continued going to Europe and have completed my bucket list. I spend a lot of time with family and friends. I walk daily with my 2 dogs.

Old 02-21-2024, 03:37 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,192,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement...p-some-of-themWe don't jet-set, but travel in the US and Canada 6-10 weeks a year.

Haha, that hits home. My last 5 years of traveling internationally, I had the honor of having to sit throught meetings in S.Korea, Beijing China, and Lyon France while my luggage was being located somewhere on the planet. On my last trip, I passed it on my way home from China, as it was being forwarded to Beijing to be picked up 2 hours after I was scheduled to fly home. I can't tell you what a pleasure it is to be on the highways of USA with all belongings in the same place. I vowed never to set foot in a plane again. Going on retired for 7 years, the vow is unbroken.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:08 PM

8,277 posts, read 8,673,865 times
I don't agree with the article.

National Parks have no appeal to me. What do you do? Sit and look at things.

When I traveled, I wanted fine hotels, good food, and museums.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM

334 posts, read 190,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

I'd rather let skilled pilots and trained ATC personnel ensure that I safely get to where I want to be.

Just remember not to sit next to the door plug on a 737 Max aircraft.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,256,427 times
Smile Agreed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

I love to walk and swim but if I travel, I stay at nice places and enjoy. I have a spa day.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:12 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,038,285 times
Quote:

To each their own. (it does rather sound like Calvin & Hobbes https://jetpacksunrise.tumblr.com/po...y-goes-camping )

I live in my own National Park, my forest, and I love it. I am living something of a dream, Yosemite Sam's house in "Fair Haired Hare" (but in a forest), cooking in the kitchen with the basics. months of supplies.......and no flea bitten carcas of a rabbit.

BUT, as others might say, I am nuts to live away from the city. No other people, no cable, no Internet! (to speak of).

And, of course, my existence in the forest is better than being in a tent, choking on the fumes of the camp fire, and using whatever outhouse equivalent they have.....day after day.

Long story short, I think of what we do in retirement is what we have dreamed of for a long time, one way or another, in only in a certain viewpoint.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-21-2024 at 09:29 PM..

Old 02-21-2024, 09:16 PM

7,182 posts, read 4,581,322 times
Quote:

When you go to national parks you hike and look at all the beautiful natural wonders. I can’t imagine not enjoying them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement