Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 11:31 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

While I get what you mean, you shouldn't take something that was packed in a box in the attic, only to bring it and put it back in another attic, maybe take it out every year when your in the attic looking for something, you see it, "oh-ah it", and put it back.
yeah, I agree.
trash it.....no need for it.

(I did that with a lot of my photo albums that only meant something to me, no one else, and gone, bye bye,) not needed, ad that was many years ago, never missed

but, if your moving to another state, and everything is new, it is kind of nice to have something of the old home / memories so it doesn't feel like a complete culture shock, if that makes sense.
That's what I did as well. I moved things that were important to me regardless of the reason or what it was. If I wanted to keep something, I did and I feel better for it now. I hired a junk guy to haul away everything I didn't want to keep.

I still bought almost all new good American made furniture because much of .my old stuff was worn down and crappy. I did move my Amish hand made bed and an old kitchen hutch I bought in the 80s and it's a perfect fit for my 1905 kitchen.
It was fun buying some new things and mixing it with the old that I kept, and made my new house feel like it was my home almost immediately. There's a happy mix of old and new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2024, 03:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's what I did as well. I moved things that were important to me regardless of the reason or what it was. If I wanted to keep something, I did and I feel better for it now. I hired a junk guy to haul away everything I didn't want to keep.

I still bought almost all new good American made furniture because much of .my old stuff was worn down and crappy. I did move my Amish hand made bed and an old kitchen hutch I bought in the 80s and it's a perfect fit for my 1905 kitchen.
It was fun buying some new things and mixing it with the old that I kept, and made my new house feel like it was my home almost immediately. There's a happy mix of old and new.
This is the best approach in my opinion. I wouldn't get rid of everything, but I also want some new stuff. Besides that, furniture bought for a different house doesn't always translate to the new house well. For instance, my two sofas look fabulous in my current home but maybe only one will look good in the next one, who knows?

Old 01-14-2024, 05:42 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think it's the same. When it's too hot out, you are stuck. When it's cold, you can go out. You can dress for the weather and take a walk in the cold without becoming dehydrated or not able to breathe or passing out. Heat is dangerous.
It is more the same than you may think. But frankly the heat and humidity is easier to take than the cold in my opinion. We moved to NOLA from Chicago - winter in Chi and summer in NOLA are both something to avoid but for us, the Winters up north are much more of a killer of outdoor activities. You get used to the humidity and rain quite a bit quicker than the cold and ice. You never get stuck when hot, unlike when snows in the winter. Also for driving, no need to scrape windows or warm the engine before driving.

BTW also had the heat and humidity when lived in FL and SC and the cold in NY/CT and WA also.

Old 01-14-2024, 06:02 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
It is more the same than you may think. But frankly the heat and humidity is easier to take than the cold in my opinion. We moved to NOLA from Chicago - winter in Chi and summer in NOLA are both something to avoid but for us, the Winters up north are much more of a killer of outdoor activities. You get used to the humidity and rain quite a bit quicker than the cold and ice. You never get stuck when hot, unlike when snows in the winter. Also for driving, no need to scrape windows or warm the engine before driving.

BTW also had the heat and humidity when lived in FL and SC and the cold in NY/CT and WA also.
I got sick from the heat and humidity in the first week of March in New Orleans. We went in a restaurant and the staff started freaking out I was so red and brought me wet cloths for my face and a big pitcher of water to drink. Give me cold weather anytime.

Old 01-14-2024, 10:41 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:

Nope, I'd rather have the cold, although I admit I'd feel differently if I had to get up and go to work in it again.

Old 01-15-2024, 12:30 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
My advice: don't do that move. Worse weather, state income tax, salted winter roads will rust your vehicles, tornado alley, etc. I think chasing your kids around the country is just nuts.

If you were going to move, about the only places that (IMHO) might beat Texas are Nevada and maybe Florida.

I realize the weather nationwide is cold and harsh right now, unusually so, but, do take a look at the weather now in Ohio and ask yourself if you really want to pay money to move to there from Texas, where you can stay put for free. I'm not saying you can live for free in TX, but not moving avoids all the moving costs.

Mastering the obvious, Texas is a big state, you can find other places in TX that might suit you better than where you are now.

Old 01-15-2024, 12:37 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I realize the weather nationwide is cold and harsh right now, unusually so, but, do take a look at the weather now in Ohio and ask yourself if you really want to pay money to move to there from Texas, where you can stay put for free. I'm not saying you can live for free in TX, but not moving avoids all the moving costs.

Mastering the obvious, Texas is a big state, you can find other places in TX that might suit you better than where you are now.
Mitch, all of her family is in Ohio and not Texas.

Old 01-15-2024, 01:05 PM

206 posts, read 135,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Mitch, all of her family is in Ohio and not Texas.
but... M3 (being domiciled in another income tax free state) is considering the tax free domicile of TX and then paying Ohio for the privilege (while no longer on a payroll...)

I would just get a SD 'FT traveler domicile' (one overnight per lifetime), then not trigger Ohio Domicile rules. (which include renting or owning)

Ohio Domicile rules (one of many)
What is the 183 day rule in Ohio?
At least 183 contact periods. (9) An individual who has at least 183 contact periods in Ohio during the taxable year and is not a part-year resident is presumed to be a full-year Ohio domiciliary.
or 212- 'contact days'/ yr (If you have a residence OUTSIDE of Ohio)
https://www.brouse.com/D890EA/assets...20Purposes.pdf
or... just bite the bullet and pay the 3.0 - 3.6% Ohio income tax (which will also have some deductions)

Personally, I would keep a TX bank, utility, addy, (use a friend) and an LLC in TX (free to renew annually), if that would augment my income, holdings, and taxation. Maybe keep the TX DL and voter registration until you want to be sure to change domicile to Ohio. (Thus SD is easiest, and legal). A lot of people from Longview, TX are SD FT domiciled, for many good reasons).

https://escapees.com/mail-service/do.../south-dakota/

When SD offers an 'Enhanced Drivers License', with Port clearance privileges, I will change my income tax free domicile from WA to SD. $300 DL renewals in WA are getting kinda old.

Old 01-15-2024, 02:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
but... M3 (being domiciled in another income tax free state) is considering the tax free domicile of TX and then paying Ohio for the privilege (while no longer on a payroll...)

I would just get a SD 'FT traveler domicile' (one overnight per lifetime), then not trigger Ohio Domicile rules. (which include renting or owning)

Ohio Domicile rules (one of many)
What is the 183 day rule in Ohio?
At least 183 contact periods. (9) An individual who has at least 183 contact periods in Ohio during the taxable year and is not a part-year resident is presumed to be a full-year Ohio domiciliary.
or 212- 'contact days'/ yr (If you have a residence OUTSIDE of Ohio)
https://www.brouse.com/D890EA/assets...20Purposes.pdf
or... just bite the bullet and pay the 3.0 - 3.6% Ohio income tax (which will also have some deductions)

Personally, I would keep a TX bank, utility, addy, (use a friend) and an LLC in TX (free to renew annually), if that would augment my income, holdings, and taxation. Maybe keep the TX DL and voter registration until you want to be sure to change domicile to Ohio. (Thus SD is easiest, and legal). A lot of people from Longview, TX are SD FT domiciled, for many good reasons).

https://escapees.com/mail-service/do.../south-dakota/

When SD offers an 'Enhanced Drivers License', with Port clearance privileges, I will change my income tax free domicile from WA to SD. $300 DL renewals in WA are getting kinda old.
I am planning to move to Ohio, not Washington or South Dakota. My family is in Ohio, not here in Texas. All that stuff sounds very, very complicated. I want my life to be easier, not more complicated. I don't care if it's a coupla hundred dollars more a year. Or even 1 to 2 thousand, which is unlikely.

I have checked and checked and checked and actually, Ohio is a bit more tax friendly than Texas, though neither are all that great, to be honest. Sort of middle of the pack, and I'm OK with that.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:02 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:

I'm with you, I like the heat after growing up in the cold midwest. I just get in the pool with a good book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement