Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 08:25 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,779,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
For those who want to run their own Monte Carlo analysis, look at

https://firecalc.com/
FireCalc is not a Monte Carlo simulation. It is using a historical backtest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 02:50 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,118,097 times
I retired in early 2011 at the age of 51. Word to others . . . Regardless of how you spend your retirement days, eat healthy and stay fit. You worked hard to get there. Enjoy a healthy active retirement. . . Cheers!

Old 02-06-2024, 11:11 AM

35,118 posts, read 31,396,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
It really comes down to savings rate and time. If you can live beneath your means and save enough, you can retire at 50 with a savings rate of around 30%, regardless of income, using a pretty repeatable methodology of investing in low-fee, diverse index funds that get average returns.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012...ly-retirement/
That's not really true.

You can be the world's best penny pincher and still not have enough income to even make basic needs, as frugal as you might be.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:32 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That's not really true.

You can be the world's best penny pincher and still not have enough income to even make basic needs, as frugal as you might be.
It has been my observation that frugalness is a key component to spending less than my pension income.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:55 AM

536 posts, read 484,943 times
Quote:
That's not really true.

Of course it's true. Whether that means everyone will be able to successfully build up a large enough portfolio to sustain themselves is another question.

Old 02-06-2024, 12:16 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,779,710 times
Quote:
That's not really true.

I’m just pointing out the math. If you can live on 70% of your income, investing the other 30%, then you can early retire at the same standard of living if you start saving at the start of your career. Living on the 70% is up to the individual. Of course it gets harder for lower wage earners.

Old 02-06-2024, 12:56 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,670,556 times
My original plan was to retire in my 30s then go teach at a small private all-women's college 20 miles from the nearest gas station.

Old 02-08-2024, 04:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,180,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It has been my observation that frugalness is a key component to spending less than my pension income.
Of course 'frugal / budget' is quite subjective.

IIRC, SC was spending >$500. month on groceries and entertainment. Insanely lavish, by the stds our family considered 'frugal'. (While prepping for, and surviving early retirement).

$1000 car!!! Yikes, that would have bought me (30) cars (which each last 500k+ miles.)

Still sticking with the 1200 calories / day, and getting by fine, no need to be frugal) I won that battle over 20 yrs ago (Probably over 50 yrs ago, considering I was living out of the back of my pickup 53 yrs ago today.) Gas was a luxury at $.19 / gal. By the time it hit $0.75 / gsl, I was brewing my own (as I have continued to do since then).

Every step of life has been a frugal excercise. Enjoying the warmth and dryness of my $38/sf home. Built brick-by-brick (by hand). Tax assessor values it at over 10x my cost basis (which creates taxes very bad for my cash flows). Wish I could trade 'community service' or 'job trainer' in exchange for taxes due, '

I never made much money.
Never needed much.

Old 02-08-2024, 05:01 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Of course 'frugal / budget' is quite subjective.

IIRC, SC was spending >$500. month on groceries and entertainment. Insanely lavish, by the stds our family considered 'frugal'. (While prepping for, and surviving early retirement).

$1000 car!!! Yikes, that would have bought me (30) cars (which each last 500k+ miles.)

Still sticking with the 1200 calories / day, and getting by fine, no need to be frugal) I won that battle over 20 yrs ago (Probably over 50 yrs ago, considering I was living out of the back of my pickup 53 yrs ago today.) Gas was a luxury at $.19 / gal. By the time it hit $0.75 / gsl, I was brewing my own (as I have continued to do since then).

Every step of life has been a frugal excercise. Enjoying the warmth and dryness of my $38/sf home. Built brick-by-brick (by hand). Tax assessor values it at over 10x my cost basis (which creates taxes very bad for my cash flows). Wish I could trade 'community service' or 'job trainer' in exchange for taxes due, '

I never made much money.
Never needed much.
It is eye-opening when we compare the cost basis of our home, to what it is assessed at.

Old 02-08-2024, 05:42 PM

5,333 posts, read 6,034,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It is eye-opening when we compare the cost basis of our home, to what it is assessed at.
Somewhat related...Didn't you build the interior of the home to perfection while leaving the exterior "so-so" in order to discourage the tax man from assessing its full value? I hope I remember that correctly because I thought it was a brilliant idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement