Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 02:48 PM

11,138 posts, read 9,769,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

One of the worst things is the popcorn ceiling. That's took us years to get rid of, a room at a time.
I never understood this aversion everyone has to popcorn ceilings. I have them and they don't bother me. I don't spend time looking at the ceiling really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 02:52 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Well, at the time I loved FF's hair. I would ask stylists why I couldn't have it back then. They were too polite to tell me she had like 10 times more hair than I did. But it does look funny now. However, the long, straight hair also popular at the time, has continued to be in style---what a relief.

I love disco and all that went with it, so not sickening to me.

Agree on the other stuff.

There was a lot more freedom and innocence back then, though. Kind of nostalgic for that. And not worrying about PC all the time. Most of those TV shows wouldn't even be allowed on now.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:52 PM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I think of disco as being the 80's even though it started in the late 70s. My memories of the music of the 70s is groups like Santana, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, and Led Zeppelin. I agree that those TV shows sucked, and my nostalgia for TV then was more like Chips, Taxi, Emergency, WKRP, Mash and Odd Couple. I wouldn't go back and watch them on YouTube now though, once was enough.

I wore the slightly flared bottom cords back then, but no nostalgia for them. I do with I had kept a couple of my old long sleeved paisley shirts. I do still have my custom made leather vest from a head shop in SF, but cannot button it.

I agree, no interest in reviving the neon colored clothes or the Farrah Fawcett hair styles. We went to visit a friend who went to Arizona State one time back then and 90% of the girls there were blond with that same hairstyle.

I have the same beard I did in 1974 when we got married, but my hair is much shorter now. I do love some of the cars from those days, and currently have a 1974 Nova. When we bought this house in 1993 (built 1978) almost every room had wallpaper, and we spent weeks removing it. The "bonus room" over the garage came with dark brown shag carpeting, and we left it. I use it as my workshop for my hobbies, and we figured we could let it get messed up and change it before we sell and move.

One of the worst things is the popcorn ceiling. That's took us years to get rid of, a room at a time.
Disco started in the early 70's and the Disco Sucks riot in Chicago was on July, 12 1979, after which no song marketed as a disco song made it to the top of the American Top 40 pop charts. Rebranded as dance music which lead maybe to Madonna as the Donna Summer, or the queen of the rebranded genre in the 80s. But as happened in a Freaks and Geeks episode those discos where closed by the time I was of age to go into them. Chippendales, of male stripper fame being converted from a small disco club in 1979.

The thing I liked about Disco was that it broke the racial color barrier in pop music. It was Disco where the Black and the Asian kids had in common where they split into Funk/R&B and Pop/Rock groups in the social segregation of the day. While the only White kids met by folks in my community where the few Black kids who got chosen to be on American Bandstand.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:59 PM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I came of age in the late 1970s.

I HATED these things in the 70s, and I still do -

1. Discos, "Saturday Night Fever", "The Bee Gees" and John Travolta.

2. "The Brady Bunch", "Welcome Back Kotter" "Happy Days" and "The Partridge Family"

3. Farrah Fawcett Hairstyles

4. Plaid Bell Bottoms or "flairs"

6. Neon Orange anything, macaroni, Cheetos, shag carpets, wallpaper or cars.
Hate is something reserve for special occasions and use sparingly as it takes a lot out of me. Disco was a great work out without locker room showers. The rest of your list did not cross my path.

Old 01-11-2024, 03:03 PM

206 posts, read 137,115 times
Those still stuck in HS. Not my favorite era.

Some have never changed or grown up; >50+ yrs

Old 01-11-2024, 03:07 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Nothing I can think of makes me actually sick, but the only things I could think of that really irritated me about the 60's were the micro-mini skirts (I had heavy legs even as a teenager) and the ridiculousness and/or stupidity of so many sitcoms ("Mister Ed", "I Dream of Jeanie", "The Beverly Hillbillies", etc.)

Old 01-11-2024, 03:11 PM

256 posts, read 115,913 times
I LOVED Farrah's hair!

Everything else on your list was okay with me too...except, maybe "The Brady Bunch"

Old 01-11-2024, 03:17 PM

17,401 posts, read 16,547,378 times
The 80's: Velour, swatch watches, tube socks and Jellies shoes. They don't make me sick, they just aren't something that I would repeat.

Old 01-11-2024, 03:30 PM

7,845 posts, read 3,836,363 times
EVERYONE had the Farrah poster in college.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403582784436

To this day, I misspell the bathroom fixture.

Old 01-11-2024, 04:19 PM

1,435 posts, read 668,771 times
I’m amazed anyone could have such strong feelings about any of the things on the ops list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement