Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 07:45 AM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I came of age in the late 1970s.

I HATED these things in the 70s, and I still do -

1. Discos, "Saturday Night Fever", "The Bee Gees" and John Travolta.

2. "The Brady Bunch", "Welcome Back Kotter" "Happy Days" and "The Partridge Family"

3. Farrah Fawcett Hairstyles

4. Plaid Bell Bottoms or "flairs"

6. Neon Orange anything, macaroni, Cheetos, shag carpets, wallpaper or cars.
I totally agree.

I am going to add to your list of t.v. shows.

I'll add "Eight is Enough", the latter years of "All in the Family", "Soap", and "The Black Sheep".

I'm glad all or most of the big sized, gas hog cars from that era are gone too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2024, 07:52 AM

37,648 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I hated disco, but when this song played at da club, everybody jumped up to dance, including me in my tube top, flared blue jeans, gold chain & platform shoes & Farrah wings. To me, this song epitomized the disco era, & it was released in 1976. Tell me you’re not dancing when you hear this!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=u5lSeYd_...n3R-a6qNi4Unqm
It’s definitely not my favorite. And far from it really. So so many excellent disco songs out there though. I was one of those “ disco queens” back in the day. Yep I was.

Old 01-13-2024, 08:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Things people your age get nostalgic about that make you SICK!

That would be going on and on about the "good old days", which were NOT good for many people.
my grandmother always used to say, "Hey, I lived through the good ol' days - they weren't all that good."

Old 01-13-2024, 08:53 AM

986 posts, read 553,064 times
Quote:
I came of age in the late 1970s.

I HATED these things in the 70s, and I still do -

1. Discos, "Saturday Night Fever", "The Bee Gees" and John Travolta.

2. "The Brady Bunch", "Welcome Back Kotter" "Happy Days" and "The Partridge Family"

3. Farrah Fawcett Hairstyles

4. Plaid Bell Bottoms or "flairs"

6. Neon Orange anything, macaroni, Cheetos, shag carpets, wallpaper or cars.
Don't go visit Graceland, Elvis's house. Almost all of those things are still there.

Old 01-13-2024, 01:03 PM

2,045 posts, read 790,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
my grandmother always used to say, "Hey, I lived through the good ol' days - they weren't all that good."
Everybody's experiences were different, though.

There's too much hate for people who had good times.

"How dare you have good memories! Don't you know there was blah, blah, blah going on??"

Old 01-13-2024, 02:02 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,387,470 times
At my neghborhood Christmas get together, seven of us were discussing how the world had changed since our younger days. Everyone but me described how they really missed smoking and if terminally ill, might start again. I have heard this before but was surprised to hear it again from an entire group of people. All of these neighbors now lead healthy life styles.

And I can truthfully say that smoking made me sick and I hated cigarettes and was not that fond of marijuana either. My father was a chain smoker and it was especially bad being in the car with him and often getting car sick and a bad headache. As a young adult, I loved parties and going out dancing but dreaded the heavy cigarette smoke that again gave me a headache, nausea, and runny red eyes, aggravated my allergies, and made it almost impossible to wear contact lenses. Not to mention the smell that the secondary smoke left on your clothes.

Interestingly, these neighbors loved disco too!

Old 01-13-2024, 03:34 PM

6,594 posts, read 4,994,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Nothing I can think of makes me actually sick, but the only things I could think of that really irritated me about the 60's were the micro-mini skirts (I had heavy legs even as a teenager) and the ridiculousness and/or stupidity of so many sitcoms ("Mister Ed", "I Dream of Jeanie", "The Beverly Hillbillies", etc.)

Better than the reality shows and prime time game shows today! I'd take a good Mister Ed right about now.

I was never a fan of bellbottoms though I will wear boot cut these days.

And those tall tube socks with the strips were laughable!!

Old 01-13-2024, 04:38 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I totally agree.

I am going to add to your list of t.v. shows.

I'll add "Eight is Enough", the latter years of "All in the Family", "Soap", and "The Black Sheep".

I'm glad all or most of the big sized, gas hog cars from that era are gone too.
Agree with ALL of this. I did enjoy the first years of "All In the Family" but it became repetitive. I am glad the cars are gone, but they did look good. My parents gifted me with a very un 1970s used Volvo DL - Navy bkue with saddle interior. Very un-1970s and I loved it.

There was one "dramedy" that I didn't mind. "Family". But I wasn't in love with it. I was in love with Rock and Roll.

I also hated the constant order of tobacco smoke. UGGHH....

Old 01-13-2024, 05:12 PM

14,346 posts, read 11,742,689 times
Quote:
Here was my take on "Star Wars". At the time, I didn't care about nacent computer generated images. So that was not a draw.
The original Star Wars trilogy didn't have CGI to speak of. But, good luck finding the original versions now without the added CGI and other changes. George Lucas just couldn't keep his hands off them.

Quote:
I also wasn't attracted to Luke Skywalker.
Han Solo was objectively better looking.

Old 01-13-2024, 08:59 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The original Star Wars trilogy didn't have CGI to speak of. But, good luck finding the original versions now without the added CGI and other changes. George Lucas just couldn't keep his hands off them.

Han Solo was objectively better looking.

I was speaking from the present, I don't know that an original exists.

Lucas' in the electronics of the time, is event. He is their nerdier, smarter friend in "American Grafitti".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement