Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 02:10 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have no idea how old I was when I saw the term "Jedi" in print and realized for the first time that people were not saying "Jet-Eye", but it was decades after the movie came out.
When I first saw that poster, I was wondering "Who the heck is Jed I?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 03:44 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,760,204 times
OMG, I am just smiling as I read through this thread, so many great memories popping up. I even liked Brady Bunch and thought I looked like Marcia or maybe a bit like Susan Dey. Hip hugging bell bottoms with those tube tops, smock tops or my hubby's favorite, the halter tops. And yes disco was fun and a work out. Lots of other great music too, Eagles, Aerosmith, Meatloaf, Rolling Stones and on and on. My husband took me to see Star Wars and Jaws.

I'm really a failure in this thread because I can't think of anything nostalgic in that era that I hate.

Old 01-12-2024, 03:59 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,209,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I came of age in the late 1970s.

I HATED these things in the 70s, and I still do -

1. Discos, "Saturday Night Fever", "The Bee Gees" and John Travolta.

2. "The Brady Bunch", "Welcome Back Kotter" "Happy Days" and "The Partridge Family"

3. Farrah Fawcett Hairstyles

4. Plaid Bell Bottoms or "flairs"

6. Neon Orange anything, macaroni, Cheetos, shag carpets, wallpaper or cars.
I can’t say any if these made me sick, loved my disco days , that’s where I met my husband, loved the fashions, and loved the pop art designs.

That said , despite having enjoyed them , I don’t like the “good old days “ mantra. Some things were good, bad, fun, ugly ect. I’m from the era and area of the movie “get Carter “ . I can enjoy the memories of many things but certainly not blind to all the awful things too.

Old 01-12-2024, 04:11 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I can’t say any if these made me sick, loved my disco days , that’s where I met my husband, loved the fashions, and loved the pop art designs.

That said , despite having enjoyed them , I don’t like the “good old days “ mantra. Some things were good, bad, fun, ugly ect. I’m from the era and area of the movie “get Carter “ . I can enjoy the memories of many things but certainly not blind to all the awful things too.
The one with Geraldine Moffat?

Old 01-12-2024, 05:04 PM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
OMG, I am just smiling as I read through this thread, so many great memories popping up. I even liked Brady Bunch and thought I looked like Marcia or maybe a bit like Susan Dey. Hip hugging bell bottoms with those tube tops, smock tops or my hubby's favorite, the halter tops. And yes disco was fun and a work out. Lots of other great music too, Eagles, Aerosmith, Meatloaf, Rolling Stones and on and on. My husband took me to see Star Wars and Jaws.

I'm really a failure in this thread because I can't think of anything nostalgic in that era that I hate.
Do not feel alone. It was a good time for many. First world problem - how to keep a tube top in place when there is not enough to keep it in place?

Old 01-12-2024, 05:32 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Wait, can you say that again, slowly? You . . . NEVER . . . saw . . . a . . . Star . . . Wars . . . movie? Ever? Not even once? Not even the original one? Wow. I never knew such people actually existed in real life.

As far as nostalgia that I don't share in goes, fondness for the 1960s tops my list. It was before my time, but from what I know about it, I could never understand why some people (cough Baby Boomers cough) idolized it so much. To me, there were a lot of things about the Sixties that were quite a bit less than praiseworthy. I supposed that could be said about any era, but it seemed much more pronounced in terms of the Sixties. Maybe it was because, for a time, Sixties nostalgia was all the rage. And I truly did get sick of it.
Here was my take on "Star Wars". At the time, I didn't care about nacen t computer generated images. So that was not a draw. I don't hate science fiction. I love some of it. "The Twilight Zone" for example - it's genius. I watched "Startreck" and my family watched it together.
Now I am enjoying "Stranger Things".

I loved "American Grafitti" - obviously, not science fiction, but a George Lucas movie. I wish he did.

I also wasn't attracted to Luke Skywalker.

Old 01-12-2024, 06:06 PM

1,063 posts, read 913,430 times
"Things people your age get nostalgic about that make you SICK!"

well, sick is overstating it, but here goes:

1. newspapers.
2. light bulbs.
3. air travel.

Old 01-12-2024, 06:09 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,036,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Men's hairy chests with shirt buttons undone is the only thing that comes to mind.
Let's hope that fad doesn't come back, especially since many men are now way heavier than men were 50 years ago. A friend sent me this video link recently about fads of the 70s, which includes the horror of hairy bare-chested men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcevVPoBP6E

Old 01-12-2024, 06:11 PM

7,030 posts, read 4,908,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
"Officially" all of this did not exist in the 1970s. The incident at KSU was in 1969, I am almost sure.
No, the shootings happened on May 4, 1970. Our first mass shooting at a school.

Old 01-12-2024, 06:45 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,937,333 times
I might be alone here, but I LOVED the late 60s and the 70s. I enjoyed a lot of great music in the 60's. I mean Steppenwolf played live at our high school senior prom and Aqualung played at our college homecoming. Lots of other "new bands" like Chicago, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple played at the local bars. In college I worked part time at a "hip" men's store and I'm guilty of selling a TON of polyester including all those nylon Nik-Nik shirts for the disco crowd. And Free Love was no joke either pre-AIDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement