Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 08:28 PM

256 posts, read 113,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
.....to me, truly classic music is... classical music. You know, from Bach through maybe Mahler.
I'll pass.

The Beatles’ music is classic, truly timeless and will continue to be enjoyed by generations to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2024, 08:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:

But if we ask about classical music, a person who was young in the 1960s, we'd likely get the same answer, as if asking a young person today. Bach? Who was that? A candy bar? A football player? A guy on Wall Street?
No, not at all, those of us who were involved in music throughout school have many years of learning, playing and loving classical music. And still love the Beatles, etc.

Old 01-22-2024, 04:49 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I grew up mostly in the 90s.

I get these nostalgic 90s videos on my TikTok and Facebook video feeds. People will be nostalgic over, say, the first Nintendo Entertainment System. I don't find much before the mid-90s even playable these days. In most cases, the games are just too simple to get any enjoyment from today.

I'm not really nostalgic about any technology before the mid-90s or so. A lot of it just feels cumbersome to use.

I had this bulky MP3 player in the early 2000s. It did the job at the time, but I've seen some memes of it, and I can't help thinking how far inferior it was to the first iPhone a few years later. The first iPods were also much better.

It's funny how some things hold up very differently over time. Disco was obviously a passing fad, but a lot of the hard rock and heavy metal from the 1970s still holds up very well today.

Old 01-22-2024, 05:41 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
No, not at all, those of us who were involved in music throughout school have many years of learning, playing and loving classical music. And still love the Beatles, etc.
Yes, the classical world has changed. When I listen to classical music in my Buick, the DJs assume (correctly) that I am familiar with popular music and popular culture.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:27 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I grew up mostly in the 90s.

I get these nostalgic 90s videos on my TikTok and Facebook video feeds. People will be nostalgic over, say, the first Nintendo Entertainment System. I don't find much before the mid-90s even playable these days. In most cases, the games are just too simple to get any enjoyment from today.

I'm not really nostalgic about any technology before the mid-90s or so. A lot of it just feels cumbersome to use.

I had this bulky MP3 player in the early 2000s. It did the job at the time, but I've seen some memes of it, and I can't help thinking how far inferior it was to the first iPhone a few years later. The first iPods were also much better.

It's funny how some things hold up very differently over time. Disco was obviously a passing fad, but a lot of the hard rock and heavy metal from the 1970s still holds up very well today.
Do you feel nostalgic for Tamagotchis? Neopets?

Old 01-22-2024, 09:15 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
As others have noted, it is facile to harbor strong feelings over mere matters of pop culture. However, what I do find to be bizarre in that regard, is how the flighty and silly and transient things of say 50 years ago, are now viewed as classics, as something archival and worthy and sublime... whereas the real classics are largely forgotten, or marginalized to some distant corner.

An example is music. There has been much debate in this thread about the relative merits of one or another kind of popular music of the 50s, 60s or 70s. Strong feelings. Much disagreement. But what seems to be common among all respondents, is a belief that his or her favorite genre from back then, is now a classic, and worthy of particular preservation and veneration.

Instead, to me, truly classic music is... classical music. You know, from Bach through maybe Mahler. It's "classic" not merely by virtue of being old, but from sophistication, profundity, timelessness. A pop song from the 1960s may make timeless expression of say the pangs of love or the pain of infidelity, but there's something... unsophisticated and generic about it. At best it comes an indelible part of folk-memory... but it's not a classic.

But if we ask about classical music, a person who was young in the 1960s, we'd likely get the same answer, as if asking a young person today. Bach? Who was that? A candy bar? A football player? A guy on Wall Street?
Classical music is a genre of music from around the end of the 17th century until the early 19th century. It is characterized by having a specific form. It was music intended for the nobility and upper classes. You need a certain amount of music education to understand the components. For the middle classes, lower classes, etc. there was "folk" music or what has become known as "popular" music. Just like today, composers would write music for dancing. Even in Mozart's time, you would not find a tradesman attending a concert, especially since the majority of performances were at courts and private residences. Modern day "symphonic music and opera" is alive and well. Major opera companies and instrumental performing ensembles commission new works all the time. Granted, the audiences for this type of music are far smaller than for Springsteen, but it was always a niche type of musical genre.

Paul McCartney stated that the song, Blackbird, has an acoustic guitar part based on one of J.S. Bach's baroque works. Likewise, the piccolo trumpet part at the end of Penny Lane. You do realize that many jazz artists, as well as pop performers are also classically trained, such as Neil Sedaka, Carole King, Phil Spector, Burt Bacharach, George Martin-The Beatles' producer and hundreds of others who had top 40 hits from the 1950s through today. The best of popular music is just as sophisticated as anything written by the composers of "classical" music as you call it, if you actually took the time to analyze and deconstruct them. The level of "sophistication" doesn't really differ much from the song cycles of the 19th century, especially when pop music composers started to move away from the 3 chord 12 bar format during the 1960s.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:43 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Do you feel nostalgic for Tamagotchis? Neopets?
Not at all. I had one growing up, but it was just what was popular at the time.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:50 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I liked The Partridge Family when I was 12, 13. I was going to marry David Cassidy, until I found out he was OLD--really 20, not 16 like they first told us, plus I read in Tiger Beat that he was only 5'6". I was already way taller than that.
Mine was Bobby Sherman. *Swoon*

Old 01-23-2024, 01:53 PM

903 posts, read 663,749 times
I graduated high school in 1974. Loved the music and a lot of television.
Growing up in Chicago-we hung out at the lake a lot. Went to drive in movies. Would take the El to Cubs games. Our high school sock hops featured bands like-Styx-REO Speedwagon. Saw many concerts in Chicago.
Never had Farrah hair-more like Dorothy Hamill.
Never saw 1 Star Wars movie either. No interest in them.

Old 01-23-2024, 02:03 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Classical music is a genre of music from around the end of the 17th century until the early 19th century. It is characterized by having a specific form. It was music intended for the nobility and upper classes. You need a certain amount of music education to understand the components. For the middle classes, lower classes, etc. there was "folk" music or what has become known as "popular" music. ...
My own music-education is limited... very limited. I can only appreciate music as a listener. But to your point, I much lament the modern broadening of taste and consumption, where it is no longer the case, that aristocracy drives the culture - be it in matters of music, literature, or art or creative-expression in whatever form. This change from high-culture to mass-culture occurred in different societies at different times. America was always largely a nation of mass-culture, so it is likely, that this change happened very early, perhaps even before the 19th century, or at the latest in the middle of it. Europe was more hierarchical and formal. There, the watershed event was probably WW1.

My nostalgia is a mishmash and likely a misapprehension, but it pines for a time maybe a century prior to my birth... no, not because the world was somehow "simpler", or that values were more traditional, whatever that means... but that the creative professions were pursued by persons who received patronage from aristocrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement