Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 12:18 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
We still cherish our landine phone.
We only use the IPhone when in the car or traveling.
Same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 02:30 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Hmmm, I guess my family room looks like a museum, b/c I have my receiver, turntable, tape deck, CD player, massive speakers, & all my vinyl, plus CDs, cassette & reel to reel. It looks normal to me.I play music every day when I’m home. I love the way those big ol’ woofers sound on the wood floors. My dogs run outside when I crank ‘em. I guess I’m in a time warp.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QdbLirsZ...UAQyF-hivgiBC5

Old 01-12-2024, 02:47 PM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Hmmm, I guess my family room looks like a museum, b/c I have my receiver, turntable, tape deck, CD player, massive speakers, & all my vinyl, plus CDs, cassette & reel to reel. It looks normal to me.I play music every day when I’m home. I love the way those big ol’ woofers sound on the wood floors. My dogs run outside when I crank ‘em. I guess I’m in a time warp.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QdbLirsZ...UAQyF-hivgiBC5

Old 01-12-2024, 02:57 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I'm sure the word "turntable" sounds to Gen Z like "Victrola" sounded to us, back in the 70's.

Old 01-12-2024, 02:59 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
We still cherish our landine phone.
We only use the IPhone when in the car or traveling.
My wife cherishes the land line. Me, not so much. These days you can switch to a cell line and keep your original number.

The Verizon guy has to come out to our house about once a year and fix the line. Last time he said we were the only ones who complained about the lines being down, because we're just about the only house in the area that still has a land line!

Old 01-12-2024, 03:17 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Yes, keeping the landline. It might be a life saver when the digital world breaks down/the net is overloaded because of a natural disaster. We already saw that happening in 2007 with one of the great, horrible fires in San Diego.
All the old photos, even if most of them have been digitized.
All our DVDs. See point 1 (why do young people think everything is always going to be available in the Cloud or somewhere?)
An old, small analog TV, an old VCR, and selected videotapes.
Two shelves of vinyl, and a turntable.
A boom box with a cassette player.

Clothes? LOL--I have a box of "nostalgia clothes" from the 1980s, and one from the 1990s. Two sizes too small. Thanks for the memories...

Old 01-12-2024, 03:26 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
My wife cherishes the land line. Me, not so much. These days you can switch to a cell line and keep your original number.
If you've got it.....but as I have often pointed out, cell phone service out at the ranch sucks and further, even if you have been without power for days, you can still use the land line to call.

Old 01-12-2024, 03:30 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Yes, keeping the landline. It might be a life saver when the digital world breaks down/the net is overloaded because of a natural disaster. We already saw that happening in 2007 with one of the great, horrible fires in San Diego.
All the old photos, even if most of them have been digitized.
All our DVDs. See point 1 (why do young people think everything is always going to be available in the Cloud or somewhere?)
An old, small analog TV, an old VCR, and selected videotapes.
Two shelves of vinyl, and a turntable.
A boom box with a cassette player.

Clothes? LOL--I have a box of "nostalgia clothes" from the 1980s, and one from the 1990s. Two sizes too small. Thanks for the memories...
But who would you call ?

Old 01-12-2024, 03:38 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
each other.

Old 01-12-2024, 03:41 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I forgot-I too have a landline.
I have a landline. Probably half the people I know have one.

We still get phone books where I live. They never remove people. Half the people in there are dead. It gets thicker every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement