Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 05:48 PM

1,226 posts, read 550,237 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. I can't stand getting my taxes ready for my accountant. I have rental properties so have to include all of the expenses and it's a pain in the booty.

I am just SICK OF IT. I hate it. It takes literally days - I feel I have to list everything; recap everything. Ugh.

I'm in mid-old-age and just wonder how much longer I can possibly do this and also how other old people do it.

Last edited by considerforamoment; 02-01-2024 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 06:02 PM

520 posts, read 280,360 times
I am middle-aged ( 76 ) and can't say I have resistance to doing my taxes, filed them just a few days ago.

But I am more resistant to some things, yet remain flexible on most things where I need to be.

But what it is, I find some tasks simply more difficult and more challenging than they used to be. I can read "instructions" and sometimes they just don't make any sense. May take a few days before "I get it" and sometimes I never do. Some things just seem ambiguous, and I don't know that they used to be that way. It's like my thinking processes are somehow different than they used to be.

But. In my case I don't know what relates to getting older and what relates to the massive head injury I suffered in 2006.

Old 02-01-2024, 06:20 PM

23,382 posts, read 19,006,746 times
Sure, but I wouldn't say that has much to do with retirement. I've been aging ever since I was born and have been an adult for a lot of years. I can talk/coerce/wheedle/rationalize/push myself into doing things I don't enjoy. To some degree "use it or lose it" applies, but if I start making more and more mistakes attempting to do whatever it is, maybe that's a good sign it's time to stop.

Old 02-01-2024, 06:41 PM

24,678 posts, read 11,023,362 times
There are things that are inevitable and those I will just not do.

Old 02-01-2024, 07:48 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,299,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Title says it all. I can't stand getting my taxes ready for my accountant. I have rental properties so have to include all of the expenses and it's a pain in the booty.

I am just SICK OF IT. I hate it. It takes literally days - I feel I have to list everything; recap everything. Ugh.

I'm in mid-old-age and just wonder how much longer I can possibly do this and also how other old people do it.
Take your time. Not due until April - you have a couple of months.

I would do my taxes as soon as I got my info, but not this year - I just don't care -

Old 02-01-2024, 08:05 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,886,734 times
I keep simplifying my life.
Consolidation is my mantra.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I keep simplifying my life.
Consolidation is my mantra.
Okay, I'll bite.

How do you consolidate tax prep?

Old 02-01-2024, 08:09 PM

8,363 posts, read 6,461,909 times
Quote:

When I had rental properties I made up a list of expenses.

I'm working on my model railroad, I hate wiring, I do anything I can think of rather than wiring.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
When I had rental properties I made up a list of expenses.
Yes. Making lists of this and that is necessary for tax prep.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:12 PM

36,448 posts, read 16,055,816 times
Quote:

I'm 71 and get my Dad's taxes ready for accountant with commercial property in another state. I use spreadsheets with all the columns, before that I put the whole checking account on a spreadsheet and go line by line and move to another spreadsheet as the appropriate expense. then I use word and just put the totals, income, taxes, expenses, maintenance, blah blah blah. I'm starting th.is weekend, by separating everything in the folder. It's a lot, but...then I have to balance our income with the property managers 1099. That hardly ever works out. I think I can do this for a few more years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement