Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 04:44 PM

313 posts, read 179,657 times

Advertisements

I'm spending it all on hookers and blow, then be a burden to society for however long I have left.

Which won't be very long if I bought enough blow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 05:41 PM

94 posts, read 41,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If you TRULY have no family nor any specific person you would want to leave your estate to (please no "alone for the holidays" people who are married or otherwise not really alone), what do you plan to do with it and what steps have to taken to ensure that your plans will be carried out? Be specific! Since I TRULY have no one and not even anyone able to execute my will, I am currently vacillating between buying choice annuities and just spending it all by traveling for the rest of my useful life...
Who’s taking care of your living will stuff? The pull the plug or not stuff?
If you have someone I would consider them.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:00 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Trust should be signed on February 24. Cats, Rescue group and the rest goes to a neighbor. Who knows how much will be left. Either she makes out like a bandit or not. We will be gone.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Quote:
If you TRULY have no family nor any specific person you would want to leave your estate to (please no "alone for the holidays" people who are married or otherwise not really alone), what do you plan to do with it and what steps have to taken to ensure that your plans will be carried out? Be specific! Since I TRULY have no one and not even anyone able to execute my will, I am currently vacillating between buying choice annuities and just spending it all by traveling for the rest of my useful life...

Exactly the situation here. My biggest hope is to be spending my last nickel to my name a minute before I hit the floor. There are blood relatives, all right - I haven't seen or heard of them in 30+ years and certainly do not want any of my hard earned dough landing in their lap. Much rather pay money out to contractors remodeling my house, landscapers, etc.

Got me a tatoo. It says "DNR" and its on my chest.

As for executing my will, I plan to hire an "executor" of some sort (still looking for one at this time) who is to take care of the will, and quietly get me cremated and disappeared. He can take whatever he wants for his trouble.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:20 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence753 View Post
If you have someone I would consider them.
I don't "have someone"; that's what's meant by being ALONE. I know it's a hard concept to grasp!

Old 02-12-2024, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Why not set up a Trust with a local bank. You can designate how you want your property/etc. to be distributed after death and the bank would act as executor.
How does one do that? I keep asking for specifics... I don't use banks; I use credit unions (higher interest rates).

As for "the attorney" being paid to execute a will at the time of death, what happens if you've spent all the money; it just doesn't get executed and he/she doesn't get paid?

I'm thinking of getting a reverse mortgage on the expensive property (then I won't have to worry about who gets that; the bank will) and THEN spending all the money! I'll have even more money to get rid of. What a lovely problem to have!

It also seems to me that a well-chosen annuity might make sense. Seems both of these things get a bad rap, but I don't see the problem with them under the right circumstances.

Last edited by otterhere; 02-12-2024 at 08:08 PM..

Old 02-12-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Got me a tattoo. It says "DNR," and it's on my chest.
Is that enforceable?

Old 02-12-2024, 08:20 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
Half to the county library, half to the county parks. It will be a surprise to them.

Many lawyers don’t want t9 be the executor, but I fi7nd one who will. He is an elder care attorney who specializes in elder orphans! He is even my health care proxy.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Many lawyers don’t want t9 be the executor, but I fi7nd one who will. He is an elder care attorney who specializes in elder orphans! He is even my health care proxy.
Specifics, please! How will he even know if you're sick, hospitalized, or dead? Is his personal cell number your "emergency contact" on your ID in your wallet (not that this will help you if you're lying in the bathtub unmissed by anyone being eaten by your cats)?

Old 02-12-2024, 09:10 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
I'd pick the charity of my choice to leave it too. Unless you just want to spend it all. Either decision is fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement