Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 08:49 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It becomes a predictable pattern with certain members after a while...

If someone is responding to an "I have no one to (fill in the blank) with" post, whether it be "spend Christmas" or "ride home from a medical procedure," it actually isn't necessary to repeat it - or emphasize it - or rub it in - or whatever the intent of that question is. The answer will obviously be "no, I REALLY, REALLY have no one, believe it or not, which is what I just said..." Why do that?
Ott you need to let it go. Youre going to give yourself an apoplectic attack and you don't have anybody lined up to take you to the ER. I too am alone alone not to be confused with alone together. Only child. No kids. No close living relatives. And my last friend died the year before my husband died in 2022. So I am right here with you.

There have been some good suggestions on this thread. Ive been taking notes. And I will use some of the services in a pinch if I have to. But Im not too fond of having a stranger be responsible for me. I really do need a new friend. But making new friends is hard when your an old square peg. Getting old is not for sissies.

Old 04-15-2024, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 2,714 times
Maybe there is a way that we can all help each other. I know we all live in various parts of the country but I wouldn't be surprised if some of us contributing to this thread actually do live near each other. Is there a way to do this for each other?

Last edited by chetchy; 04-15-2024 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 04-16-2024, 11:21 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
No not so much anymore. I had a friend who would help me but she works crazy and unexpected hours so not at all dependable.

My family is far away and I have a sibling close by who ended up in the hospital a few years ago when I was going to ask for car pool for a medical reason where I was told I cannot drive after sedation.

Good new is now I finally got the endoscopy done a few days ago. I'm waiting for the biopsy which I think will be fine, nothing found to be serious.

I found a facility that does both endoscopy and colonoscopy. I paid a pretty price for both ways to and from but at least I felt safe and recognized the driver the second time she came to get me. She cost me $35.00 each way. Yes about $20.00 more than an Uber driver would but no risk of not knowing my address where to take me LOL.

When I was out of sedation and they went to take out the needle I made a wince face and turned away a little. I told them I am a big baby with needles and blood pressure. The man who went to take it out was not IMHO at all professional. He got angry and yelled "don't do that" I said what he said make a face like it will hurt you. I don't hurt. I'm like wow he took a natural reaction from a patient who fears needles and hates the pain very personally. I know the needle would hurt that much it's the pressing down on it to hard and when taking it out that I have the experience of going through with everyone. I played cool and told him yeah ok it didn't hurt. I felt like say you idiot you took that so personal. Geez even the woman who put the blood pressure cuff on to tight said sorry and readjusted it better. I have never ever had anyone take a normal reaction many people have to needles so personally.

After that I waited for my ride and a young black woman was sitting next to me. She was talking to him and it cracked me up to hear this white man trying to talk black with her. He was saying "whaaaah" instead of what are you serious. Many black people here say it like that I had really stifle my laugh at how ridiculous he sounded trying to play like he is so cool with her.

Well that was my experience no more for at least another 5 years. Am I the only person on earth who gets all weird people. I had a bad experience with an ambulance driver once who was so out of control with his obsession with trying to debate with me instead of doing his job I have to wonder how he keeps his job. I swear I get them all.

Perhaps your perspective has a lot to do with that.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:07 AM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I understand someone in their 80’s not having any friends left because they have died or are in care homes. But I find it odd that people in their 60’s wouldn’t have anyone willing to help them. I guess if you’re an extreme introvert and never joined any groups or go anywhere this can happen. I think it’s a wake up call to make some changes. Throughout the years I’ve helped many people even ones I didn’t know very well.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:58 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I understand someone in their 80’s not having any friends left because they have died or are in care homes. But I find it odd that people in their 60’s wouldn’t have anyone willing to help them. I guess if you’re an extreme introvert and never joined any groups or go anywhere this can happen. I think it’s a wake up call to make some changes. Throughout the years I’ve helped many people even ones I didn’t know very well.
It happens. In my case I have no kids or siblings and while I was busy taking care of my relatives and inlaws the friends I had passed away. I had too much going on to make new ones at that time. I'm 73 now and I'm starting over from friend scratch.

And yes I am an introvert. Not an extreme one but Im still not into groups. And dont get me started on widows groups.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:06 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I can read that post without hearing incredulous. But it is hard sometimes for some people to read text without reading nuance into it.
Yup. It's really incredulous.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:12 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
It happens. In my case I have no kids or siblings and while I was busy taking care of my relatives and inlaws the friends I had passed away. I had too much going on to make new ones at that time. I'm 73 now and I'm starting over from friend scratch.

And yes I am an introvert. Not an extreme one but Im still not into groups. And dont get me started on widows groups.
Yanno my BF is absolutely an introvert. But, he is also very involved in "car stuff", and as such, has a lot of friends and acquaintances that he has made over the years due to that involvement. Should neither his mom or I be available, he probably has at least 5 people he could call on for such a ride. Even introverts have hobbies, and when you start getting more involved with such things, you meet other people. And those people can help you out sometimes.

Old 04-17-2024, 04:27 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Lots of great suggestions, veering way off topic. Thanks all and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.