Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 10:19 AM

88,559 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I prefer cold coastal environments...they may or may not be cheap, but fewer obnoxious people and the problems they drag along with them tend to congregate there. Remember what Sartre wrote: "Hell is other people."

Personally, I don't need to dabble a single toe in that frigid water to enjoy it's presence.
I like the cold, too. Some of the happiest days of my life were on that frozen lake in rural Ontario. Few people around. Unrelenting beauty in a white world.

I enjoy a vacation with a beach and warm water, but not to stay permanently.

Old 03-09-2024, 10:31 AM

6,790 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Why anyone else would want to live in the coastal regions is beyond me. There are hurricanes every year. Plus in Florida there are too many lunatic citizens and in government. I think the heat gets to them.

It's pretty easily understood. Boating, swimming, diving, fishing or even just walking along a beach are all extremely popular activities. Then add to the fact that coastal regions are also the areas least likely to be affected by severe cold snaps while summer heat is moderated by the large body of water.

Take an extremely continental place like South Dakota in comparison. You get extreme heatwaves in summer (like last August with 3 days around 100 in a row), in winter you get extreme cold snaps like this January with temperatures not surpassing 10 degrees for 5 straight days. In the spring massive thunderstorm complexes traverse the area with tornadoes a realistic threat. It's a pretty extreme climate and the impacts are felt more strongly as one gets older

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 11:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
There are cheap and warm coastal areas all along the coasts of Southeast Asia. Not necessarily good for surfing, but certainly cheap and warm. Mexico/ Central America too if you are ok with crime and/or political instability.

I don't know very many retirees that surf.

Old 03-09-2024, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
One of my former coworkers never surfed until he took it up in retirement. Jersey shore waves, though, not Hawaii.

Old 03-09-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
There are cheap and warm coastal areas all along the coasts of Southeast Asia. Not necessarily good for surfing, but certainly cheap and warm. Mexico/ Central America too if you are ok with crime and/or political instability.
Costa Rica is on my radar, at least for part-time. Most stable country in Central America, low crime. No desire to surf, though.

Can't imagine living in Asia. I'm just too tall lol. My daughter lived in China and SHE had a hard time finding shoes, and she's only 5'8" and a size 9 shoe. The sinks and countertops here in the USA are already uncomfortably too short. Years of constantly having to stoop are taking their toll on my back. Asians in general are shorter, and I would guess their world is even less made for people like me than it is here.

Old 03-09-2024, 12:01 PM

11,047 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
We used to have a few down here in their 60s, but in the 7 years we've been here, they all gave it up due to aging.

But it's still "warm and cheap"! Beachfront condos for $100,000 with $100 annual property tax. 80-ish weather all year.

We discovered we had to leave and go get a civilization "fix", or "culture fix" I should say. So we go back to SoCal every year for part of the year. Haul back Amazon orders, lol.

Old 03-09-2024, 12:25 PM

30,511 posts, read 16,209,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Why anyone else would want to live in the coastal regions is beyond me. There are hurricanes every year. Plus in Florida there are too many lunatic citizens and in government. I think the heat gets to them.
Depends on what coastal region you're talking about.

I agree with Mightyqueen801 and Parnassia- my preference would be a cooler climate. After several trips to Maine, I don't think I'd even want an ocean coast. A good sized lake or pond would suffice.

Old 03-09-2024, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Depends on what coastal region you're talking about.

I agree with Mightyqueen801 and Parnassia- my preference would be a cooler climate. After several trips to Maine, I don't think I'd even want an ocean coast. A good sized lake or pond would suffice.
You know, I moved sixty miles south within New Jersey in part to be near the ocean. Then I met a partner who lived on a lake but a thousand miles from the ocean. After spending time there, I learned to love living on a lake. Calm water is easier to be in at this age, and there's nothing beneath the surface that can eat me.

Now that I have to decide where I will be next, my choices have expanded. I always thought I'd always be near the ocean, but where I am is crowded and expensive and only going to get more so. I can't go back permanently to the lake I fell in love with, but maybe there is another one for me.

Old 03-09-2024, 02:01 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Whatever you do, don't move to the Alabama Gulf Coast.

I think the trend nobody is thinking about will start taking place in about ten years when we've stopped having a housing shortage and started having a housing glut. All those baby boomers who are downsizing or dying will be propelling a housing glut. It's already baked into the demographics.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:23 AM

1,438 posts, read 733,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Whatever you do, don't move to the Alabama Gulf Coast.

I think the trend nobody is thinking about will start taking place in about ten years when we've stopped having a housing shortage and started having a housing glut. All those baby boomers who are downsizing or dying will be propelling a housing glut. It's already baked into the demographics.
You are correct, in about 10 - 15 years older boomers will start dying off in large numbers and there will be more homes and apartments than people to fill them and as a result housing prices will plumet and demographs will shift as working class families can afford to move into middleclass neighborhoods and the middleclass families will move into what is now upper middleclass areas. though there will be a glut of homes being converted into duplexes, triplexes and quadplexes from so many people being upside down on their homes when the prices drop, which means even more available housing for the masses.

A huge chunk of the GenX and older millennial population will end up being landlords lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement