Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 10:14 AM

2,111 posts, read 1,939,487 times

Advertisements

Below is a very good article about the challenges some couples face in retirement.

Quote:
For many relationships, life after work brings an unexpected set of challenges.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/05/m...smid=url-share

In the case that this shared link does not work, I'm quoting the part which I find interesting. I think the sentence which I bolded apply to couples AND INDIVIDUALS.

Quote:
But research over the years has found only a limited effect of a second identity on happiness in that phase of life. The much more important factor, Gottman told me, is the quality of the marriage before retirement. The Health and Retirement Study, a sweeping national research project now in its 32nd year, found that an unhappy marriage predicts unhappiness in retirement more than declines in wealth or even health, says Mo Wang, a professor at the University of Florida who studies the retirement adjustment.

Whether couples are able to help each other stretch, a concept that social scientists call “self-expansion,” also matters. Strong self-expansion skills — the ability to make new friends or pick up new interests that require dedicated learning — are correlated with everything from general well-being to even weight loss and cognitive health. Not surprising, researchers in 2020 found that couples who reported high levels of that kind of reinforcement — encouraging each other to try something new, for example — were happier and were weathering the transition much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 03:36 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,726,899 times
I would agree 100%. Exploration and discovery has always been a key ingredient in our happiness as individuals and as a couple. We seek it actively and one of the reasons why we never bought a second home. It would be too much of the same place and take away from what we love. We often say to others, “take us somewhere you’ve never been.”

Old 05-05-2024, 04:40 PM

2,325 posts, read 1,542,894 times
The article is only expanding on the age old cliche, I married you for better or worse, but not for lunch.

Which I find to be spot on!

We have been retired for fifteen years, and we love Monday mornings, as it is now. So good not to have to get to work, not to have to organise kids. It is our peaceful morning. Nevertheless impacted by our main point of difference, I like the tv off, he likes to watch all sorts of things. Monday morning, with our time zone being ahead of much of the world, today brings the Miami Grand Prix live, or the end of the golf in Singapore, recorded from overnight.

We adapt with technology and space, headphones etc. But we have learned to cope as we have a whole program of things to look forward to later in the week which we do separately or together. Golf for him, language activities and book club for me, shared fortnightly walking group for us both, sometimes shared grandkid school runs.

What we are currently finding challenging is seeing some of these activities and our friendship groups being impacted by illnesses of close friends. Shared lunches, long enjoyed, are not possible while a friend is having chemo. Locations and times are affected by a friend no longer being able to drive at night.

So maybe what is most needed is flexibility of mind, retirement being full of challenges.

Old 05-06-2024, 12:32 PM

2,004 posts, read 967,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
we never bought a second home. It would be too much of the same place

This is why we love our timeshare. We can use our points to go just about anywhere. I couldn't possibly even list all the places we've traveled to, including Mexico and the Virgin Islands. We've only ever been to the same place more than once when we absolutely love it there, and that's the beaches in Florida, and Vegas. We do want to go back to Yellowstone and see some stuff we missed the first time around.

Old 05-06-2024, 05:10 PM

24,680 posts, read 11,023,362 times
Where did they survive a lot? They lived separate lives and shared a wash machine. Now they live with each other.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:19 PM

17,431 posts, read 16,608,757 times
This is exactly why I want to move to a retirement community with lots of amenities and things to do.

My husband and I can do some activities together but we can also each do things away from one another - we've never been joined at the hip before, I don't expect to be joined at the hip now.

It is actually very common for old retired couples to wind up grousing with each other - familiarity can breed contempt.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:40 PM

7,947 posts, read 3,906,070 times
In my mind, it is about having enough space so that one spouse is not underfoot of the other.

Mrs. Moguldreamer and I each have our own offices inside our houses.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 05-06-2024 at 10:26 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:58 AM

2,325 posts, read 1,542,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
In my mind, it is about having enough space so that one spouse is not underfoot of the other.

Mrs. Moguldreamer and I each have our own offices inside our houses.
Yep, two bathrooms, two cars, two living areas and two spare bedrooms enable a relatively smooth retirement.

Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM

17,404 posts, read 22,152,984 times
They needed hobbies they could do together...........Hard chargers die in retirement because they go from 100 mph to idle.

Some guys golf, fish, whatever but remember 168 hours in the week so if you sleep 56 hours a week you still have over 100 hours to fill.

Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM

22,043 posts, read 13,063,881 times
It sounds like the big challenge in retirement is finding something worthwhile to do, and I concur. Now that we live 30 years longer than we used to when SS was first instituted, maybe we should just keep working...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement