Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 08:16 AM

8,182 posts, read 8,415,971 times

Advertisements

We have two vehicles but much of the time they are both in the garage. Several times a week, one of us goes off alone in a vehicle. The majority of the time when one of us goes off alone, the other person remains home.

I am thinking about getting a road-worthy electric 3-wheel scooter so I can do local errands and getting rid of one of our cars. Has anyone done this and had regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 10:03 AM

8,392 posts, read 6,494,944 times
Above about 75 a scooter or bicycle seems way too dangerous, the smallest crash would be a disaster. I have 2 cars and plan to sell one soon, I did have 3. Registration renewal, smog check, insurance, and maintenance add up. And it's a pain to be sure each car gets driven at least every 3 weeks.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:59 AM

8,815 posts, read 5,131,170 times
Sounds very dangerous to me. Is it really worth it....lots of crazy drivers out there.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:44 AM

24,788 posts, read 11,181,307 times
That is an accident waiting to happen.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,761 posts, read 81,689,431 times
The problem also is that if the person with the one car left has an accident, a flat tire, or it gets stolen from a parking lot, you have no other car to go and fetch them back home. Hopefully you have told the insurance that your cars are only doing limited miles for a lower rate. We still have 3 but each has it's purpose, so we'll keep them as long as we can afford them: The truck for pulling our travel trailer, the Outback for everyday use and daytrips, and the Nova for car shows and just fun cruising on a nice day.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:53 AM

6,368 posts, read 7,820,483 times
If you live in an area with a decent off-road bike path system, and good year-round weather, it could work. Now in my early 70s, I have a Vespa as my backup vehicle. I fully expect that when I attain the age where it would be dangerous to other road users for me to drive an automobile, technology will have advanced enough that a trike or quad e-bike will be my main mode of transportation. Public transportation around here is non-existent.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-10-2024, 11:58 AM

14,406 posts, read 11,841,375 times
My in-laws sold one of their two cars when they were in their early 70s, reasoning that they rarely went different places at the same time. That lasted about a month, then they discovered that they actually went different places at the same time more often than they thought, and whoever ended up without the car was pretty unhappy about it.

They bought another car.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:05 PM

24,788 posts, read 11,181,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My in-laws sold one of their two cars when they were in their early 70s, reasoning that they rarely went different places at the same time. That lasted about a month, then they discovered that they actually went different places at the same time more often than they thought, and whoever ended up without the car was pretty unhappy about it.

They bought another car.
That is the main reason for my Garage Queen to stay with us.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:57 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,946,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The problem also is that if the person with the one car left has an accident, a flat tire, or it gets stolen from a parking lot, you have no other car to go and fetch them back home.
These were the reasons we kept 2 cars for a few years after my retirement. When we relocated across the country, we gave away our second car and had only one car transported to our new home.

It has been 6 years living with one car in a semi-rural area with no public transportation and outside of uber/lyft reaches. I don't recall a single time when we wished that we still had a backup car.

Yes. the car can have a flat tire or but there are always road services. The probability of an accident or the car got stolen is extremely low around here. In either case, one has to call the police and wait until things got straightened out. If the damaged car got towed to a repair shop, one has to come to the shop with the car then get a loaner or a ride from the shop home.

When we needed to take the car in for oil or tire changes, we just either waited at the shop or walked around the area. We usually find a shop near a shopping center or restaurants.

Back to the OP's question about a trike scooter, I think it depends on the location, where scooters are allowed and what are the places that you want to go. Then there is the safety factor, a rider especially older peole has to take a lot caution to avoid injuries

https://riderguide.com/safety/ultima...cooter-safety/

Old 04-10-2024, 01:33 PM

17,521 posts, read 22,286,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We have two vehicles but much of the time they are both in the garage. Several times a week, one of us goes off alone in a vehicle. The majority of the time when one of us goes off alone, the other person remains home.

I am thinking about getting a road-worthy electric 3-wheel scooter so I can do local errands and getting rid of one of our cars. Has anyone done this and had regrets?
My neighbor just got a new golf cart for neighborhood travels. He said the insurance is as much as a small car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement