Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 10:48 AM

11,214 posts, read 9,844,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Not all people have children. Just some. So. If I'm kidless am I an "elder orphan" or not. Or is there some other fancy name for us. Inquiring minds want to know.

According to the census people in 2021. "Of all adults ages 55 to 64, 19.6% were childless, compared to 15.9% of those ages 65 to 74, and 10.9% of those 75 years and older."
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...%20and%20older.
I'm aware, as I'm also childfree. That's why I said MOST people have kids. I don't consider myself an elder orphan though as I have a spouse and siblings.

Last edited by TheShadow; 04-24-2024 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 12:03 PM

2,307 posts, read 3,008,876 times
I would think that people who don't have children would be in a better position financially in general since they would have saved more due to not spending money on raising/housing/feeding children and not having to take time off from their careers to raise children. I wonder if there is data to that effect?

Old 04-24-2024, 12:18 PM

18,746 posts, read 33,492,681 times
^^
No data but I suspect 2-income pairs without kids do a lot better than singles with no kids.

Old 04-24-2024, 01:52 PM

17,582 posts, read 16,721,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Springfield, how sad about your dad for all of you. I bet his mom would have traded places with him if she could have. I had my kids young so I will be a senior when my oldest son is one. A friend of mine is 89 and has outlived two of her kids. I can’t imagine anything sadder.
Thank you. It was a very sad and overwhelming time. Having to tell a 94 year old that her only son, her baby boy, was in a nursing home with Alzheimer's was pretty heartbreaking. I'm sure that she would have gladly traded places with him.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:54 PM

35,374 posts, read 17,273,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Yes, if you look at it as not having parents who are alive. I have a friend who is nearing 70 and still has parents who are alive (90 and 93), but that is very rare and likely she won’t have either within ten years. The term Elder Orphans is kind of stupid. Soli angers would be better.

But most older people have spouses, siblings, and children, which is not being all alone in the world.
I didn't understand. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:29 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,529 posts, read 6,345,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
We define elder orphans as aged, community-dwelling individuals who are socially and/or physically isolated, without an available known family member or designated surrogate or caregiver.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5097795/
Nice to know that elder orphans are official. Now Im not totally sure if I are one. Since I dont consider myself to be aged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you. This precisely is the definition. It is somewhat reasonable for folks one step away from elder orphan (e.g., surviving spouse a couple if their spouse passes away who would meet other criteria) to actively think about and plan for such a scenario. But as people farther and farther away from being elder orphans jump in with peripheral, if that, concerns, it completely undermines the thread.

My concern in this regard was dismissed as thread drift when that the same thread drift simply sucks any usefulness out of the thread. But, some folks need to post out of boredom and the relevance to the thread is of a very distant consideration.

There are forums (e.g., financial forum starting with bogle…) with much stricter moderation and, consequently, more meaningful discussions and threads. Here we too often have interminable set posts - too often very peripherally about the topic at hand. Later on when someone wants to look at a thread topic, they are confronted with reading so many messages that they give up and start yet another thread on it and on it goes.
This happens every time somebody starts one of these threads. If you can stand to weed thru the drift theres usually some good info smuggled in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'm aware, as I'm also childfree. That's why I said MOST people have kids. I don't consider myself an elder orphan though as I have a spouse and siblings.
I know I shouldn't but I have to ask. If you don't consider yourself an elder orphan then why are you here posting.

Old 04-26-2024, 07:53 AM

4,076 posts, read 2,166,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I didn't understand. Thanks.
No problem! And that should have been solo agers.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:00 AM

4,076 posts, read 2,166,156 times
It’s kind of ironic…elder orphan/solo ager is not a category most anyone would choose to be in, although of course I understand not wanting to marry or have children. It’s foolish to marry or have kids just to try to not be alone, since spouses die (rare for both to go at the exact same time, except for an accident) and kids can’t be counted on. But some people want to claim EO/SA status even though they do have some family members. Perhaps it’s due to a fear of aging, an acknowledgement that all the resources one might need/desire are not available, etc. Or just wanting to sit at the cool kids’ table! (Kidding..in my 70 years, no one ever considered me cool or popular!).

Old 04-26-2024, 09:50 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,475,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
It’s kind of ironic…elder orphan/solo ager is not a category most anyone would choose to be in, although of course I understand not wanting to marry or have children.
About half of all people in a couple relationship will lose their "other half" at some point, and not by choice (I hope)! If they don't have children or other family, then they will be "elder orphans". Or, according to the definition linked above, if their family are "not available." Some here haven't reached that stage yet, but are anticipating it, which is fine too.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:06 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,475,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I would think that people who don't have children would be in a better position financially in general since they would have saved more due to not spending money on raising/housing/feeding children and not having to take time off from their careers to raise children. I wonder if there is data to that effect?
Possibly, but for us having no kids meant we retired very early (46 and 51), after the house was paid off and expenses were minimal. I don't think we saved more than couples who had kids.

I know a childless couple who just spend a lot on travel and collecting things, not really saving for the future. And others who say they'll keep working "forever" because they don't know what else they would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement