Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 09:06 PM

5,046 posts, read 7,432,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I would think that people who don't have children would be in a better position financially in general since they would have saved more due to not spending money on raising/housing/feeding children and not having to take time off from their careers to raise children. I wonder if there is data to that effect?
Possibly, but for us having no kids meant we retired very early (46 and 51), after the house was paid off and expenses were minimal. I don't think we saved more than couples who had kids.

I know a childless couple who just spend a lot on travel and collecting things, not really saving for the future. And others who say they'll keep working "forever" because they don't know what else they would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2024, 08:22 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,427,167 times
^^
What do you do for health insurance? For me, working was at least party for insurance and retirement was 65 (U.S.)

I also did all the things that people often put off for retirement while working with vacations and such. Glad I did. And of course there was the housing shuffle in metro Boston.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:39 AM

5,046 posts, read 7,432,031 times
I was able to continue under my employer's health and dental plan after retirement. I earned my full retirement and pension benefits.

Old Today, 06:30 AM

11,147 posts, read 9,784,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Nice to know that elder orphans are official. Now Im not totally sure if I are one. Since I dont consider myself to be aged.

This happens every time somebody starts one of these threads. If you can stand to weed thru the drift theres usually some good info smuggled in.

I know I shouldn't but I have to ask. If you don't consider yourself an elder orphan then why are you here posting.
Because maybe someday I will be. My DH is 70 with multiple cancers. My siblings are dying by degrees from advanced diabetes. Do I qualify now to be on this thread? One doesn't have to be what the thread is about to have an interest in or an opinion on the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement