Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 03:35 PM

358 posts, read 203,119 times

Advertisements

With scammers, time is money. The longer you can hold them on the phone, the less time they have to bother someone else.

I love the Microsoft scams. Typically it'd go like this

Scammer: This is Microsoft, we have detected a virus on your computer. You need to take care of it now before it infects everything.

Me: Which computer?

(This seems to stump them.)

Scammer: You need to turn on your computer and follow my instructions.

Me: Ok...Ok. Let me turn it on.

(2 mins later)

Me: It says "Windows updating". Please hold on

(5 mins later)

Me: It's rebooting, please hold on.

(another 5 minutes)

Me: Okay, it's ready. Let me get my password

(another 2 mins later)

Me: Hello?

Scammer: Yes, are you ready?

Me: Sorry, wrong number. *hangs up*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 03:41 PM

3,102 posts, read 1,572,170 times
another scam- just received a fraudelent Treasury tax refund check. If you dont look closely it appears legit. Then look at the details and its def fake. Delivered by the PO.

Old 05-08-2024, 03:50 PM

23,520 posts, read 19,234,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I get those all the time too. But I'm not expecting any delivery, high priced or not, so I just delete those.

Did they want your account information too?
No idea. I deleted the thing before they got the chance to elevate me to the next level.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:14 PM

17,689 posts, read 13,506,324 times
Quote:
I'm sure you probably know AMEX doesn't work that way. They might call to confirm a large purchase if they think it looks suspicious, but they don't need to verify that the person they called to ask about it ( whose contact information and phone number is in their files) is actually the cardholder- they KNOW who you are. And they can credit your account or delete the phony charge just on your word that you didn't make that charge, you don't have to prove it's you.
Of course I know it!

As stated in OP, this was from a friend telling me about a woman from his church that got scammed!

I posted it to remind people and for readers to remind friends what is going on!

Old 05-08-2024, 09:33 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,843,527 times
This is my recorded greeting:

"Please leave a message because you are either not in my contact list or I am unable to take your call right now."

I have never received one of these scam calls probably because they don't leave a message & simply move on to the next mark.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:46 AM

11,218 posts, read 9,847,425 times
Quote:
Even if the scammer seems to have the banking information, the instructions to deposit money into another bank account to "fix" a scam would set off alarms to me, that something phony is going on here. In the event there actually has been some fraudulant or "funny" activity that's been picked up by financial institution personnel, they don't require the customer to make deposits, or any other action, for that matter, to investigate and remedy the problem.

My favorite is when the scammers request gift cards, and I'm still waiting for the call from my nonexistent "grandson" who calls crying and claims to be in trouble. Lemme at 'em...
The latest twist on the "grandparent scam" as it's called is that the scammers are using AI to alter their voice to sound like your "grandson". They can take any recording of a sentence or two of a person's voice and use AI and an app to alter their own voice to the exact pitch and cadence of your "grandson", friend, cousin, uncle, whatever. So even if you think you recognize the voice, ask for information only they would know or trick them by asking something incorrect and see if they fail to correct you. If you don't have a grandson or cousin, obviously hang up, but if you're worried it really is your cousin Bill, try this...

Example: "Cousin Bill, you're in jail?? Oh no! Should I call Coretta and tell her?" (Your real cousin is married to Louise). If they fall for it, you nailed them. Then hang up.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:09 PM

415 posts, read 704,142 times
I got a text last week from my bank about some suspicious activity on my credit card. I started to call the number in the text, but stopped, thinking that it might be a con. I hung up and called the number on my card. It turned out to be a genuine alert, but it was wise to be careful.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:23 PM

548 posts, read 722,894 times
Don't answer calls from numbers you don't recognize.

Even numbers you recognize should be treated with caution as they can be spoofed.

90% of people refuse to do this and then wonder why they get scammed..

Old 05-10-2024, 04:27 PM

17,689 posts, read 13,506,324 times
Another interesting reply to my mass email blitz:

Quote:
I finally read your latest email to *****. She reminded me that years ago she received an email from her first husband, ***** (wonderful guy, we were friends, polymer scientist oddball genius who passed away from ALS in 2021) stating that he was in the Philippines, had had his wallet stolen, and needed us to wire him money. All plausible.

She was just about ready to do so and thought, well, let's check. So she replied and asked "*****, please just tell me how long we were married and how many kids we had (correct answer one year and zero).

No reply to the questions. This scam isn't new and the ability of these ****suckers to obtain the information they have about people is scary.
SAD!

Old 05-10-2024, 04:42 PM

15,174 posts, read 27,916,094 times
The scam has gone on for years and years - and been posted about MANY times. I would think most folks know this by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement