Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,987,203 times

Advertisements

Where is good place to live for age 60+ who has to keep working?
The usual preferences: small college town, low crime, low traffic, super low property taxes, no SS income tax, great healthcare; no tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, drought, bad drinking water, poor-quality air, nuclear power plants, or toxic waste dumps...and last but not least...not too hot and humid in the summer. Prefer east of Ohio, south to South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:44 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,575,364 times
Default Draw a circle

Draw a circle around Huntsville, AL which will include some of TN.

Go from there.

Clearly, being hired at 60+ will be a tough one depending on skills and how much income is needed.

If I were in your situation, that is the area I would be looking into.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:27 AM

8,818 posts, read 21,295,327 times
How about Eastern Tennessee (Knoxville), ollie? I have heard that is a great place to live.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-17-2008, 02:49 PM

Smile Seeking possible move at age 60--not too far south

Thanks Ollie & Nancy. I think though that the summers in Alabama and Knoxville would be unbearable to my respiratory system with all that heat and humidity. Anyone have any info on the far northern part of South Carolina, the Southwest corner of Virginia (Abingdon area), places that are south but not too south (again, because of the extreme heat in summer). Also, I'm a freelancer so I don't need to find a job in a new location.

best wishes!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:08 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,667,788 times
I don't think Knoxville is hot and humid, but I lived for a long time in Washington, D.C. and southern Georgia and compared to those Knoxville is dry and mild. I usually turn my AC off during the day in the summer and open the doors and windows. I'm quite comfortable. Knoxville does have pollen, though.
With mild summers you'll get cold, snowy winters. State College, PA is one place that comes to mind, home of Penn State, and has most of what you want.
Abingdon gets snow and hot summers.
Check out Berea, KY. It's up in the mountains and home of Berea College and the town is a center for appalachian crafts. Being in the mountains would keep the weather cooler.
Berea - Berea
I visit there whenever I can. It's a pretty town with older houses on shady, tree-lined streets.
Don't dismiss places because you think they may be too hot or cold. Those designations really are relatives and it depends on what you're used to. You need to see them in person to make a decision about moving.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:18 PM

8,818 posts, read 21,295,327 times
Knoxville seems to have mild 4 seasons which would be perfect for me. I do not mind some heat in summer, but really dislike ice and bitter cold. And, you can buy a really nice place for much much less than many other places which are not at all as pretty . Knoxville (from what I have heard) is a city that offers a lot of extras such as walking paths and college courses for seniors . It is on my short list of places to move.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 AM

152 posts, read 616,838 times
You might want to try Upstate SC, around the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson area. It is close to the Smokies. Thus you could have different climates depending on your location.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:00 PM

Smile 60+ narrowing things down

thanks all who replied to my query. I'm narrowing down to Knoxville area, and Greenville/Spartanburg SC area. I'm curious to know what is the weather difference between Knoxville and Abingdon VA?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:36 PM

One more question, what do folks think about a Northeasterner in Knoxville or SC? Do they generally fit into the Southern lifestyle, or is it hard to get acclimated?

Old 12-18-2008, 10:13 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,667,788 times
Knoxville is more cosmopolitan than you'd think. And the people are truly wonderful, very friendly and helpful. If you practice common courtesy and return smiles, you'll do fine although it will take a while to get used to making eye contact with strangers. I spent most of my life in Washington, D.C. and it's much more laid back and casual here. I find I'm a much nicer person for living in Knoxville.
It's not real Southern here. Tennessee has always gone it's own way, particularly in the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement