Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:52 PM

96 posts, read 323,394 times

Advertisements

I've read what the books say....what the studies tell us about arthritis, but I wanted to hear from people who have arthritis who have moved and found a great climate that works best for them.....Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 10:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I can tell you that my shpulder that has iot is much better in the warmth of summer and we don't have that bad winters.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:07 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
My husband has arthritis in his hips and his neck. We moved from the cold damp northern CA woods to Arizona. He feels much better here and cant imagine moving back to the rain and snow country.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:09 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
I had a hip replacement and rotor cup surgery (fall in ice/snow) in Colorado. Didn't want to have anymore pain or take the chance of falling again, so we moved to North Carolina......much less snow/cold. But, even there it got too cold for me and so we moved to Jacksonville, Florida. Weather here is MUCH better for me than in either Colorado or North Carolina.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
I've suffered for years and while living in the freezing NE of Vermont/NH I moved to the bay of Maryland...then to a tiny pacific island on the equator....was fed up with the pain. After 9 months, I moved to Utah then Las Vegas.

The pain was less severe in Las Vegas than anywhere I've ever lived. I'm now in NC and suffer each night with that burning sensation in the bones due to the cold and dampness.

Oh well!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:46 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times
Cool Great topic !

I will be eager to read all the responses!

My shoulder has been very painful for the last week and I know I haven't injured it -- suspect arthritis so I will be interested to know where all y'all have moved to find relief

Old 02-17-2009, 04:30 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
My mother had severe arthritis and was always in pain when we lived by the ocean in Southern California. Like many, she always felt better when in the dry heat of the desert and my parents bought a vacation home out there and eventually retired there.
She got to the point where she couldn't even stand to go back to the dampness of the coast for a visit.
There are some large dry areas in the U.S. -- Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, the high and low deserts of Southern California.
I don't feel affected by weather that much but I don't have anywhere close to the problems she had with it, especially in her hands.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:45 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Just a thought, but some, including myself, have found relief from eating foods such as sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds and flax meal which all seem to have anti-inflammatory effects.

"Anti-Inflammatory and Cardiovascular Benefits from Sunflower Seeds' Vitamin E"

Sunflower seeds are an excellent source of vitamin E, the body's primary fat-soluble antioxidant. Vitamin E travels throughout the body neutralizing free radicals that would otherwise damage fat-containing structures and molecules, such as cell membranes, brain cells, and cholesterol. By protecting these cellular and molecular components, vitamin E has significant anti-inflammatory effects that result in the reduction of symptoms in asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis, conditions where free radicals and inflammation play a big role.

Very interesting---Read this about pumpkin seeds and arthritis: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=82

Old 02-17-2009, 10:29 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
Might want to add some ginger to that. It has anti-inflammatory properties and helps ease muscle cramps. I can get severe night leg cramps and a couple of pieces of candied ginger before bed or tea or a splash of rum with some ginger does seem to prevent them.
The Ginger People have it in a variety of forms. I find their Ginger Juice to be particularly handy to add to stuff. I've found it at local stores including a Super Target.
The Ginger People: Home

Old 02-18-2009, 02:24 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
I have very severe arthritis. I grew up in New York State, near Buffalo. In my youth, I did not have problems but as I got older, arthritis appeared. I was fortunate that I moved to Denver, over 30 years ago before I had these issues. Denver is good because of the very low humidity and sits on a high semi-arid plain. It has very low humidity and much less snow than the Northeast. The big help for me is the frequent sunny days. I cannot tolerate rain, humidity, or cold and wet. Cold and dry is tolerable.

I have visited drier areas in the Southwest but I have found that cities that are too hot; as in Phoenix or Palm Springs, CA; cause me much discomfort as I have problems with too much cold air conditioning. I have found that warmer desert environments that are in high elevated arid deserts, like Las Cruces, New Mexico are ideal because they are not so hot and cool off substantial at night.

I would suggest you explore the Southwest. There are many cities in New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado that would be good places to live. In addition, I would look at Nevada and areas in Central Desert Valleys of California. I think there would be some cities in Western Texas that can be considered such as San Angelo or El Paso.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement