Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 07:44 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan
Retire in a month at age 46 yrs of age. Have saved a large chunk of my monthly pay check, have lived beneath my means but always felt comfortable in my living conditions. Bought a new car about every 5 yrs, that's about my only waste of $$$$.

I've already been quizzed to death about what I'm going to do with myself once 1 July hits.

Guilt trips are being laid on me - family will likely do the same to me as well. I'm not guilty nor am I worried about my upcoming retirement.
Good for you.

We also saved and saved, and invested.

I bought forest land alongside a river and are building a farmhouse. Gardens, orchard, and small livestock. 2 kayaks are in the water, tied right behind the house. Moose, deer, wild turkey are plentiful here.

There is nothing to be ashamed of. We saved up for it, so we could afford to 'retire' when I was forced onto pension.

Good luck in your retirement.

Where are you planning to retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:48 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I've committed to FLA, but may move after awhile. I like your arrangements in Maine, but I've lived in the cold for awhile (Germany) and would like to be in a warmer climate for the greater part of the year. I will miss mountains, forrests - not really a beach person nor is the FLA terrain interesting (boring, in fact).

Old 05-29-2009, 11:23 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
I know we've talked about this before, but I thought I'd share this with everyone. I just called one of my creditors to get a pay-off amount. I happened to mention that I had just received my final check for accumulated leave from my employer as I had retired, and was paying off my few debts with some of it. This person, who had never met me, knows nothing about me other than what may have been on the loan application, began pressing me about why in the world had I retired. I would certainly live to regret it, I would get bored, why did I do this, blah blah blah. How does this perfect stranger think he knows what's best for me? Why are people so presumptuous? I laughed it off, and told him that I was very comfortable with my decision, and had earned the right to retire. But it still left me shaking my head a little.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:31 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I know we've talked about this before, but I thought I'd share this with everyone. I just called one of my creditors to get a pay-off amount. I happened to mention that I had just received my final check for accumulated leave from my employer as I had retired, and was paying off my few debts with some of it. This person, who had never met me, knows nothing about me other than what may have been on the loan application, began pressing me about why in the world had I retired. I would certainly live to regret it, I would get bored, why did I do this, blah blah blah. How does this perfect stranger think he knows what's best for me? Why are people so presumptuous? I laughed it off, and told him that I was very comfortable with my decision, and had earned the right to retire. But it still left me shaking my head a little.
It's the same things as those people who tell you to take out a home equity loan when you have no need for one, or tell you how to eat, or tell you how to raise your children (who are quietly standing beside you). The world is full of busybodies who invariably are not doing a good job in running their own life. Miss Manners says the correct way to deal with such rude personal intrusions is a cold "I beg your pardon." Maybe if more people didn't laugh off such rudeness, people would stop doing it so much. Good for you on paying off debts and enjoying your retirement.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:39 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
I did some serious Barb Q work today. Took about four hours and had a great late lunch. That is one of the many reasons I am retired and glad I am.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:12 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,040 times
Thumbs up Retired Last Thursday!!

My husband and I both retired after 34 and 36 years (respectively) of teaching. We are both 55 years old and are so happy we can retire while we are still young enough to enjoy it. We have absolutely NO debt (house and cars paid for, no credit card debt, etc.), and we saved and lived frugally since before we married almost 34 years ago. We plan to travel, play golf, read, and do whatever we want when we want. We have only one child, and she is on her own with a good job and a great place of her own to live. People have asked us the same question--"Won't you be bored?" Our answer is always, "No way!" It's the best feeling in the world to be retired and not have to worry about teaching anymore.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,143 times
Default good to hear i'm not the only one -

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Todopoderoso View Post
Amen to retiring early. Guilt? Yes... at first. Imagine yourself dropping out of the race at 32 while all your friends and family continue struggling through the grind. But someone reminded us here that "guilt" is only legitimate if you've done something WRONG. Is retiring early wrong? ... Fear of jealousy is probably a more accurate description than guilt. Unfortunately I have encountered jealousy from peers. I'd like to think I'm setting an example for what's possible, but our culture seems heavily programmed to think retirement should be at 65. SCREW THAT! I'd rather live simply and enjoy my LIFE. Do ya feel me?

The health insurance is a significant cost ($4k/year), but not as bad as it will be when I'm over 50. I'd sooner have less insurance and use my abundant free time (being retired) to stay in shape, eat well, and learn to do things myself to keep expenses low so I can STAY retired.
Congrats on early retirement. Can I ask what you did? I left my job from the family business 5 years ago at the age of 34. (From the time I was ten I was working on my grandparents farm when i wasn't in school. As a teen, I was involved in the business when i wasn't in school or university, and after graduating I worked full time and long hours.) I left with the intention of doing something else and in that time have become a certified personal trainer and licensed pilot. However, neither has turned in to a full or part time job. As I'm an owner in the business I still receive a salary, but feel a lot of guilt because I don't have to work and everyone else within 20 years of my age does. The scary part of it is, I would be happy never working again. I find lots to do with going to the gym, playing golf, working around my house and yard, and helping to raise my young daughter. I hate getting the inevitable questions of "what are you doing with yourself these days"? I have recently gone back to university just to start myself in a new direction. I have a few career ideas in mind such as naturopathic medicine, but still haven't fully committed to it. I do feel sometimes like people feel I'm a spoiled kid who isn't earning his keep, and sometimes I question if they're right. It was not originally my plan, but is it wrong to retire at 34 if you are lucky enough to be an owner in a successful family business? Any unbiased opinions and advice would be appreciated!

Old 05-19-2010, 03:53 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,433,951 times
True. These days, only the government workers can afford early retirement with health insurance as part of pension plan. People working in private sectors are mostly out of luck for early retirement because pension is just non-existent anymore unless you are at a very high corporate position. But I supposed people can always try hitting the jackpot.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 PM

183 posts, read 351,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharko34 View Post
Congrats on early retirement. Can I ask what you did? I left my job from the family business 5 years ago at the age of 34. (From the time I was ten I was working on my grandparents farm when i wasn't in school. As a teen, I was involved in the business when i wasn't in school or university, and after graduating I worked full time and long hours.) I left with the intention of doing something else and in that time have become a certified personal trainer and licensed pilot. However, neither has turned in to a full or part time job. As I'm an owner in the business I still receive a salary, but feel a lot of guilt because I don't have to work and everyone else within 20 years of my age does. The scary part of it is, I would be happy never working again. I find lots to do with going to the gym, playing golf, working around my house and yard, and helping to raise my young daughter. I hate getting the inevitable questions of "what are you doing with yourself these days"? I have recently gone back to university just to start myself in a new direction. I have a few career ideas in mind such as naturopathic medicine, but still haven't fully committed to it. I do feel sometimes like people feel I'm a spoiled kid who isn't earning his keep, and sometimes I question if they're right. It was not originally my plan, but is it wrong to retire at 34 if you are lucky enough to be an owner in a successful family business? Any unbiased opinions and advice would be appreciated!
Nothing to feel guilty about. Sounds like you are paying your own way. The folks that are questioning and laying guilt trips are more than likely jealous. They wish they could stop working. Sure some really like work, but most don't. It might be deeper. Some folks think that you owe something to society or your not a productive member of society and they really mean it. That's not what America is all about. You're living the dream, enjoy it. It's your life, don't let anyone else dictate how you should live it.

Besides, I bet that daughter of yours doesn't think you're wasting your time.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:12 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,515,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I did some serious Barb Q work today. Took about four hours and had a great late lunch. That is one of the many reasons I am retired and glad I am.
and I'll bet when you were done a nap?

sounds like my tough and stressful life as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement