Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:11 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,161,604 times

Advertisements

This morning, as I was going through my mail, there was an offer from one of my organizations.

"Lifetime membership, half off!".

I looked at the amount, it was within a decent price range, and I was thinking, well, maybe, get them off my back reminding me each year.

But then I got to thinking about the cost of yearly or tri-yearly to that life time. That by the time a yearly membership equals that lifetime deal.......................that's 20 years from now, I could very well be dead.

SIGH, it's an occupational hazard with having a very youthful outlook, both biologically and mentally, of life. Sometimes, you forget just how old you really are.

Now, there are "positive" points about it in support. We once thought we would only live to 50 and end up living to 90. Buy it now while you have an active income because when it becomes fixed, even the small membership fee will be a lot. Or like what Jennifer Ketcham's dad told her about don't sign for a 5 year expensive car lease when you don't know what you will be doing 5 years down the line. I depend on the organization for its political activism; I can have some peace of mind that I am not shoe stringing them.

BUT, on the other hand, it is like one of the last chapters in "Cheaper by the Dozen" where Dad said, "You've been telling me all this time not to start any new magazine subscriptions." (or something like that, I last read that book in class about 1971)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 09:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,939,858 times
Like when I spend a day splitting and stacking firewood. I realize I'm 63, not 23. My back reminds me.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Like when I spend a day splitting and stacking firewood. I realize I'm 63, not 23. My back reminds me.
That is sort of like my last high school reunion. They had a mixer at a bar (which I missed) and the next night at the banquet, a lot were saying that while they could still party like they were 18, the recovery time is a lot longer.

Or the time I was at a house warming for an acting girlfriend, a junior in college. One of her friends asked me, "So how do you know Stephanie?". That really gets the message across about the age difference. At least in that case, though, age difference doesn't immediately translate into being old.

In fact, we were doing an acting exercise of responses, where face to face, someone says what immediately comes to mind and the other has to respond without thinking about it. So the other person said, "You have to be the oldest student I've ever seen!"

And what did I say?

"Ouch!"

Old 01-16-2015, 10:40 AM

3,579 posts, read 4,528,133 times
Cleaning the house I drop something, look at it and say 'when something else drops I'll
bend over and pick them up. Ooh my mid 60s hip.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:54 AM

7,074 posts, read 6,357,275 times
I don't bend down, I grab the picker to pick it up. Otherwise I'll probably fall & have to crawl to a chair to pull myself up.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,829,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Cleaning the house I drop something, look at it and say 'when something else drops I'll
I guess I have that to look forward to in 2-3 years. I still pick them up but have to think about it.

People do buy homes with 30 year mortgages in their 60s all the time, but when they go it's going to be someone else will have to deal with the problem. Lifetime membership discounts are a gamble.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:13 PM

3,919 posts, read 4,579,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

But then I got to thinking about the cost of yearly or tri-yearly to that life time. That by the time a yearly membership equals that lifetime deal.......................that's 20 years from now, I could very well be dead.
Yipes! I know what you mean about these "epiphanies".

I'm fortunate that I have a friend since childhood, and I was telling her daughter recently how I'll never forget the day when her mom showed up in ballet class when we were 7 years old wearing her little red leotard and her dark brown hair up in a ponytail. It's like a snapshot in my mind.

Then my friend and I realized, that goodness, that was almost 50 years ago!!

Then it occurred to me that any vivid memories I might have this year... will not be remembered, by me in 50 years! (Unless I turn out to be a genetic freak of some kind, lol!)
Heck, memories I have that "seem like yesterday" even 15, 20 years ago... who knows? After a certain age we all become vulnerable.

Yet, I'm not panicking... while I don't want to dwell on being morbid, I'm finding I have a calm acceptance to aging, even if I'm still pretty "youthful". My much younger husband gets annoyed when I bring up the fact that he'll likely be on his own at some point. But I tease him a lot and tell him to go out and have some fun after I'm gone and that he'll deserve it after tending after an old lady.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Yipes! I know what you mean about these "epiphanies".

I'm fortunate that I have a friend since childhood, and I was telling her daughter recently how I'll never forget the day when her mom showed up in ballet class when we were 7 years old wearing her little red leotard and her dark brown hair up in a ponytail. It's like a snapshot in my mind. ........
Interesting that you should mention ballet in this topic......because when there is something that needs to be picked up, I am more likely to plie than bend over.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:18 AM

20,714 posts, read 16,487,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I'm not quite to that point, but getting close! The other day I was getting stuff out of the washer and dropped a pair of underwear....my immediate reaction was to grab it quick before it sat on the 'dirty' floor so I jerked my back and spent the rest of the weekend painfully doing back exercises to be sure I wasn't incapacitated for any longer than need be.... Used to be able to grab something like that in mid-air but no more quick movements for me - gotta learn to stop myself! ha

Old 01-17-2015, 09:15 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,280,996 times
I am a retired special education teacher who now works as a substitute teacher to help pay my bills. I frequently see especially creative bulletin boards, classroom activities, and new ways of teaching a specific skill and think "I need to remember that so that I can use it in my own classroom". I momentarily think that I am in my twenties, just out of college and starting my career. Then I remember that I do not have my own classroom and will never have one again.

Of course, then I remember that I also do not have hours & hours of paperwork every night, and do not have to deal with irate parents, do not have to work with %$*#@&* administrators, and only work from 8 to 4 and start smiling very happily.

I spite of the lack of money and still needing to work a 40 hour week I truly, truly enjoy being retired (or, at least, being semi-retired).

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-17-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement