Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,484,276 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for the advice. I will be meeting up with my adviser with a whole new lot of knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 03:31 AM

106,867 posts, read 109,133,761 times
annuity sales people love to talk about the withdrawl rate and make it sound like an interest rate...its not the same thing..

a withdrawl rate includes your own money, maybe even all your own money..your principal is actually returned...

think about even an immeadiate annuity's actual return...

you give them 100,000 and at a 6% withdrawl rate for the first 12 years or so they are giving you back your own money... the actual interest is zero....

year 13 you are now starting to collect on their dime but they are paying you with the interest they got all those years on your money... year 13 your actual return is less than a fraction of 1% for the last 13 years..

it will take you living decades on their dime before you see a return even close to 6%....

there are still uses for immeadiate annuties but its not about return, its about buying a pension and having a lifetime of income guaranteed...even if its your own money coming back for most of that time..... the annuity guarantees once you use up all your money they will keep paying you no matterhow long you live.... its a good thing if you live but a bad thing if you die.

its life insurance in reverse... with life insurance the insurance company is betting you will live ... with immeadiate annuities they are betting now that you are older that you will die

Old 04-28-2009, 10:32 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,846,687 times
The main thing to keep in mind is that ANYONE selling you ANY financial product or service is doing it to make money for themselves, not for you.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:40 AM

remember your not a client, your a customer

Old 04-29-2009, 07:24 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,382,168 times
I used to work for a firm which sold annuities, etc. - the investment counselors (ie salesmen) would tend to lead their clients in the direction of the company/product which was offering the largest commission or a free trip for so many sales.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:15 AM

Im shocked!

Old 05-15-2019, 10:39 AM

8,395 posts, read 4,420,443 times
I want to revive this thread from 10 years and 2 weeks ago, because I think I have something important (at least important to me) to say on the subject, regarding specifically Swiss annuities.

First, annuities overall. They are actually a staple of my retirement. I am not knowledgeable about investing, and mentally have an extremely poor tolerance for seeing any losses, so I figured out early that market risk is not for me. Over the years, I have purchased a number of annuities from several US companies. All of these annuities are fixed, some of them immediate, some of them delayed. As opposed to Mathjak's opinion, I have been quite happy with my immediate annuities, but even happier with delayed ones. I think the modest returns are quite good for a financial vehicle that is reasonably guaranteed, ie, not at market risk - as long as the annuity is FIXED - ie, you know up front exactly what X monthly payments you'll receive if you pay the Y premium to the insurance company. I got the majority of my US annuities through the annuity broker immediateannuities.com, and as I said, I have been highly satisfied with these products.

Now, Swiss annuities. I have previously voiced positive opinions on this forum about Swiss annuities, which I have to severely retract now. They are still marketed to US citizens, particularly those who may have assets at risk (such as physicians, who are always at risk of malpractice lawsuits) as a means of asset protection, since Swiss funds cannot be legally seized. But, I have to unfortunately say that I have learned the hard way that Swiss financial companies use deceptive practices to get your money, and give you essentially no money growth in return. They use flashy non-standard terms like "flexible annuities" to sell you a variable annuity when you think that you purchased a fixed annuity ("small print" is extremely well hidden). Annual statements of value of the account are extremely deceptive, listing the "value" of your account - without disclosure that this value of the account is the "value" before the enormous fees, and the real value of your account is in fact not much higher than the premium. Whatever you do for your retirement, just don't have any dealings with Swiss insurance companies. It is true that they are very safe in the sense that they historically never fail - but it appears that they never fail because they have such slick methods for taking your premium and give you practically no growth on the premium money. For my deferred Swiss annuity (deferred for 20 years) the real annual growth will end up being about 0.9% per year, where I would have gotten about 4% annual growth on a fixed annuity deferred for 15 years from a US insurance company. I only discovered this 15 years after I obtained the Swiss annuity, because the Swiss company changed the format of the annual account statement. In the previous years, the statements stated "the value of the account as of Dec 31, 20xx"; last year's statement broke down this value into "surrender value" and "surplus". I inquired about these terms, and eventually uncovered the truth - that the "value" of my account as reported to me by the Swiss company is not anywhere near the actual amount that I could ever receive with any form of annuitization of the account.

So, if anyone wants my advice, I have been very happy with FIXED annuities (both immediate and deferred, but I personally have been happiest with long-deferred ones) from various US insurance companies, obtained through immediateannuities.com. Just do not get a VARIABLE annuity, ever, and make sure that a variable annuity is not sold to you under some different sneaky name (this annuity broker that I mentioned is super honest and straight-forward - they will explain everything very thoroughly, and take multiple written precautions to ascertain that you are thoroughly aware what you are purchasing).

I have been shocked by incredibly crafty deception perpetrated by a Swiss company selling annuities, which company I am unable to name here, because I have been told that lawyers of Swiss insurance companies routinely shut down public forums and legally pursue a client if someone posts a negative comment about a specific company on a public forum like this one.

Last edited by elnrgby; 05-15-2019 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 11:00 AM

Last thing I would ever do is buy an annuity product outside of this country ...they are complex enough when constructed here .... I never recommend anything other then a low cost spia from a top insurer here

Old 05-15-2019, 11:02 AM

6,631 posts, read 7,364,568 times
Why was an annuity recommended? Are you in your late 70's and fear running out of money? Could be a good reason for an immediate annuity. Be careful of fees and get a few quotes. You can get these on line.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:48 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,973,967 times
My husband and I bought a deferred annuity to start paying out when I turn 70. We bought it as a form of a "pension" that will provide us with a stable income flow to cover basic living costs and to supplement our social security. Since we only allocated about 15% of our portfolio for the annuity, we will still have plenty of investments that will provide an additional cushion. The annuity was to provide peace of mind that we would always have a base income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement