Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:45 PM

702 posts, read 3,152,132 times

Advertisements

Isn't the whole idea, lose the house or not, to eliminate the mortgage payment and maybe even have a monthly income? We don't see how we could both be retired and still make huge house payments. We are house rich. Downsizing still puts us buying another house and keeping up the repairs even though the payment is smaller. We are in a three year old house now; it would be hard to move into an older and smaller house and have more upkeep problems because of its age. Am I wrong???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 01:19 PM

Can we please hear from someone who actually has a reverse mortgage rather than somone who just thinks that it is a bad idea?

Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Lightbulb No-

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Isn't the whole idea, lose the house or not, to eliminate the mortgage payment and maybe even have a monthly income? We don't see how we could both be retired and still make huge house payments. We are house rich. Downsizing still puts us buying another house and keeping up the repairs even though the payment is smaller. We are in a three year old house now; it would be hard to move into an older and smaller house and have more upkeep problems because of its age. Am I wrong???
You are NOT eliminating a mortgage by getting a reverse mortgage. They are tapping into your equity. My father had one and the interest was usurious. Just trying to help.

sunny

Old 05-01-2007, 08:50 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Lightbulb everyone should know-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
You are NOT eliminating a mortgage by getting a reverse mortgage. They are tapping into your equity. My father had one and the interest was usurious. Just trying to help.

sunny

reverse mortgage is not always a good idea. Protect your family first. RM's tap into future equity.

S.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:36 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
The only way I would even consider a reverse mortgage would be if I had no heirs, and wanted to travel, but did not have the money .My husband received some literature on it awhile back. Here is what they offered. They valued our home at 80% of the market value, they wanted to deduct 7,500 for closing costs,this did not include title search which they wanted 1500 for, we only owe 8,000 on our home (fair mrkt malue is 170,000.). They wanted 750 handling fee to pay off the house,,etc. It went on and on, and on. After the first page, I realized it was a scam..Can't see why in the world the government would reccommend it. I am 65, my husband is 69. We are both exceptionally healthy, and have plenty of children and grandchildren to leave our assets to..In the meantime, we are perfectly able to care for our house and lawn,and will continue. (Well, at least I will, hubby just retired and fishes or visits relatives all thr time)

Old 05-02-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Be willing to give up the house...

I talked to the people at my bank regarding the reverse mortgage. I was told that the payments would stop and I would receive x amount (depending on how I take it) of dollars each month until both of us leave the house or until death. It doesn't matter if it is 10 years or 40 years, we are guaranteed that money as long as we are alive and we would never owe more than the house is worth at sale. This is guaranteed in writing so that even if we both died the bank can't go after heirs for money if the sale price is low due to a bad market. Basically, they explained that a reverse mortgage is for people who have a house, but are burdened by the payments and the fact that most of their money is stuck in the house. With the money tied up in the house the people do not have enough left for a decent life. They gave this example: House valued at $200,000. $50,000 left on mortgage. Mortgage payment $800. Reverse mortgage stops monthly mortgage payment and gives people $500 per month until death or until both leave the property. The end result is that the $800 added to the $500 means that the people receive a benefit of $1300 per month as tax free income versus paying out $800.00. All costs are figured into the mortgage and there are no out of pocket expenses. These figures were given as an example and are different for everyone. What impressed me is that the people can never owe more than the house is worth. The way I see it is that the people in this example now have an income of $500 and no longer pay out the $800. This means that they can now do things that they could not before. Of course, you have to be ready to give up the house in the end, but who cares after you are dead.

I see the difference as sitting home and not being able to do anything versus being able to travel and live a decent life. Am I missing something?

Old 05-02-2007, 10:11 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
azloafer, the payments made to you in the reverse mortgage have an imputed interest rate. As a result, the maximum paid to you cannot go on the rest of your life regardless of age. To do so would jeopardize the "lender" in providing funds in excess of property value.

Their has to be a "cap" on the amount they will ultimately provide.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:30 AM

Default No Cap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
azloafer, the payments made to you in the reverse mortgage have an imputed interest rate. As a result, the maximum paid to you cannot go on the rest of your life regardless of age. To do so would jeopardize the "lender" in providing funds in excess of property value.

Their has to be a "cap" on the amount they will ultimately provide.

That's what I thought, but they showed me the section that guaranteed no limit to the monthly payments and also a guarantee that the amount owed would never exceed what the house would sell for. They sell the house as "owners." I have an appointment this AM, but I will attempt to post something from the mortgage later...

Old 05-02-2007, 12:55 PM

61 posts, read 244,714 times
Reverse Mortgages Are Not All Bad, They Are Very Good If You Go To The Right Person. They Are A Way For A Person To Stay In Their Home, Where They Feel Secure, And Not Have To Move. The Home Remains In Their Name, The Bank Does Not Take The Home Away. They Are Qualified Based On Their Age And Equity Of Their Home.

They Have Several Options As To What They Can Do With Their Equity. They Can Take It All In One Lump Sum, Or Have A Certain Amount Given To Them Monthly, Or Put In An Interest Bearing Account, Or All Three.

Many Children Discourage Their Elderly Parents From Doing A Reverse Mortgage Because They Want The Equity For Themselves Down The Road After The Parents Pass On.

A Good Reverse Mortgage Will Demand The Homeowner To Have A Special Phone Counseling Session, That The Morgage Company Provides, To Make Sure That The Homeowner Fully Understands The Loan, And To Make Sure That The Homeowner Is Being Properly Represented By The Loan Officer.

The Reverse Morgage Is A Life Saver To Many Elderly People, Providing They Have Chosen A Reputable Loan Officer.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:42 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Default Clarity

So it is possible that the lender will provide a monthly total, over time, which will exceed the value of the property?

If this is true, how do they make money, considering that any equity left in a property still belongs to the owner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement