Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2017, 06:25 PM

64 posts, read 62,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Okay, I was suggesting that if your health situation is overwhelming, you may, through your health professional, have help applying for "Social Security Disability", which if you are able to qualify for, would receive Social Security benefits earlier, (but would still take months from the application to possibly be approved).

You may still be able to lower your electric and phone, and possibly negotiate with Internet. I realize it is difficult if being all that's available, maybe you could explain that you will need to drop service and see if they will switch you over. (I know, likely not possible with these companies).

I only have a couple of service choices, myself, but have a Lifeline discount on my landline (with no added features), a cheapo cell phone I use sparingly and Internet is $30.00. I qualify for a discount on Gas and Elec. I have cable though, and even then, I have negotiated when they raise it, even the phone / Internet bill. (I do not do combined "package deals", either).
I ditched Cable TV and my Home Phone because Comcast raised the rate by $30.00 a month and would not come down, they did not care that I was cancelling the service, now I get "deals" in the mail every week from them and they go right in the garbage.
I bought a Digital Indoor Antenna and get all of the channels I need for free, my Cell Phone is on my Daughters plan.

As far as my health, it is not that bad, it is just an anxiety thing and is not disabling as long as I take my meds (150 mgs Zoloft).
Other than that the only issue I have is high Cholesterol which is totally under control with Lipitor.
(The Cholesterol issue is Genetic not Dietary)
There are other meds out there I can take that are on the $4/$10 drug list but do not work as well as what I am taking now.
Back in February/March when I decided to take early SS it all seemed like a good idea, the closer it got the worse I got about not having health coverage, it was causing me extreme distress.
Having Medical, RX, Dental, Vision will give me peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Medicaid is not age-related. It's income-related.
This I did not know, Thanks!!!
I will look into that for future reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
NAJ-New Jersey ---
I'm sorry about the retirement situation; it is a tough spot to be in. From what you have said, it sounds like maybe you put in for the part-time hours before your realized that your company did not offer the health benefits to employees who work less than 30 hours/week? The only solution I can think of is to "un-retire" and just go back to FT hours, or perhaps 35 hours. Even a little perk like having one morning or afternoon a week may make things a little brighter!

Now, I don't know your budget, but if at all possible I would try to not touch my SS and every month you can do that, it will get closer toward the "full" retirement amount. Your utility bills are quite low - I would not be complaining about a $40 a month electric bill. And if $40 is the bill amount including all the taxes/fees they add-on, it is what it is.

The only other option which might be fairly easy is to consider getting a roommate. Sometimes it is nice to have company around and it can bring down your expenses a little bit.

The healthcare situation in the U.S. is terrible for citizens under age 65. Someone earlier suggested applying for SSDI - well, don't do that while you are working unless you do have a medical letter from a Dr stating you are medically limited to working very part-time hours. And it would speed things up if you have a "listing" that is in the SS Blue Book. Even then, Medicare won't start for 30 months. There is a wait period during the time when people need the help the most. If you can qualify for SSI due to low resources/income, then you can get the Medicaid right away, but they use the same book of "listings", so remember that. But some people do get it, depending on circumstances!

Wishing you the best, in terms of your health, and continuing to work. I do hope everything goes smoothly for you.
I already spoke with my Store Manager and I am keeping my full time position and will still have all of my benefits.
Unfortunately with Anxiety issues (even on meds) you always assume the worse and worry about things until they actually happen.
If all is OK at work I will contact SS at the end of the month and inform them that I would like to postpone receiving benefits, I have yet to receive a check and would not receive my first payment until October 11 so it should be simple procedure.
According to SS you have up to one year to change your mind, you just have to repay any payments you have already received and then it is as if it never happened.
I would certainly liked to have more time for me but for now I will continue to work full time and we will see what the future holds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 01:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,073,388 times
What I meant by my comment was that in olden days people may have still been poor but they didn't work all their lives and saved money, just to find out it wasn't enough. Bread was a quarter, milk was the same and rent was something you could afford. The big corporations were not so money hungry and didn't accumulate such wealth at the disadvantage of families and seniors.

I never saw homeless living on the streets or so many soup kitchens. Good will stores hardly existed. And yes, your relatives took you in, either temporarily or permanently sometimes.

I just think the whole way of living today has to change. People are what matters. Not what you have in your closet or your garage. JMHO

Old 08-26-2017, 02:17 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,193,590 times
PhxBarb -- I agree with you. Families did take each other in, more, and I suspect that will happen regularly in the future, as the cost of living keeps rising. We had 4-generations living in our home for a couple of years, now we are down to myself and my two "boys".

I agree with you about the homeless; there are a lot of folks. We have a ministry on Wednesdays with a short sermon and hot lunch and many of the early retirees in my age group enjoy going there and serving. It is amazing some of the stories I have heard. And always appreciative of the sermon and the hot meal.

Corporate greed is frightening. The amount paid to some CEO's today is immoral. As an example I cite the CEO of United Health Care. Also, many professional athletes.

I'm glad I am living a fairly simple life - no cable tv, working in my garden [well I will when it cools off more!!], church activities, going to the thrift shops and out to lunch with lady friends, a movie once or twice a year, walks, a concert, the library, a "Meet the City Councilman" event -- just the simple things.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
People also didn't live as long and didn't need as much long term care as they do today. That solved some of the problem.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:27 PM

30,564 posts, read 16,256,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
People also didn't live as long and didn't need as much long term care as they do today. That solved some of the problem.
good point. just googles it. seems the life expectancy when SS was established was a bit over 61. Now people live until 80 or more.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,542,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I know what you mean about lenses. It bothers me how regular Glasses or Dental is not covered by Medicare, as it should be for Seniors, unless purchasing other, additional coverage. Even regular eye exams, unless involving Glaucoma or something, are not covered.

I got my last Progressives through the optical center at my Ophthalmologist's office, having a discount. They are not great, with seemingly the mid-range missing (so that would really be crappy for you, if that occurred). I complained, but that's another story. I had worn progressives prior and never had a problem, but since having had Cataract surgeries, changes and / or just poorly-made lenses, they have not been the same. (I had to keep changing a lens in another pair after my first, poorly-done Cataract surgery, too - another story).

I have felt I would rather now have singular pairs or a Bifocal next time, though alternating will be a hassle. I usually went to a place offering specials like Sears or J. C. Penney optical, that will offer two for $98.00, or something. I have felt I would rather have these and a distance pair for driving, though I see why switching lenses will be a hassle. I don't use reading level as much, such as having the iPad positioned closely and raising the type size on. I keep my glasses resting on my nose, for glancing over at the TV. 😊

I have seen how others have experienced what I have and switched to having single-lens pairs. There is mention of "Household lenses", or "workplace" lenses, maybe a midrange of 10-15 feet. A mechanic will have reversed bifocal lenses for focusing upwards under car. As you said, we cannot exactly see close up through that bottom lens at certain angles. Recently, while installing brackets in a window frame, I could not focus well and called my friend to walk over to help!

Anyway, you may never have a problem with a Progressive lens, but just to mention options. I was told there are only a couple of Labs making glasses spanning a wide area that all Opticians use, and never know how they may turn out, or an optician may not make good measurements. If there exists Astigmatism like I have, it adds to it.

(Sorry for getting so long-winded).
This was really helpful, thanks. I had cataract surgery on one eye a year ago, so I'd have the same issue. That eye has fantastic far vision, and corrected reading vision. The other eye is corrected for both, but it has a cataract - but it's not bad enough for surgery to be covered yet LOL. Yeesh, we're now the old people always talking about our surgeries and problems ha ha. Oh well.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:14 PM

1,042 posts, read 875,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
What I meant by my comment was that in olden days people may have still been poor but they didn't work all their lives and saved money, just to find out it wasn't enough. Bread was a quarter, milk was the same and rent was something you could afford. The big corporations were not so money hungry and didn't accumulate such wealth at the disadvantage of families and seniors.

I never saw homeless living on the streets or so many soup kitchens. Good will stores hardly existed. And yes, your relatives took you in, either temporarily or permanently sometimes.

I just think the whole way of living today has to change. People are what matters. Not what you have in your closet or your garage. JMHO
I totally agree

Old 08-27-2017, 12:20 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,680,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This was really helpful, thanks. I had cataract surgery on one eye a year ago, so I'd have the same issue. That eye has fantastic far vision, and corrected reading vision. The other eye is corrected for both, but it has a cataract - but it's not bad enough for surgery to be covered yet LOL. Yeesh, we're now the old people always talking about our surgeries and problems ha ha. Oh well.
Yes, my sister and I occasionally make "aging cracks". 😊 It's just that, we may feel "we are the same as we always were - on the inside", but, then the reality of physical concerns crop up. Well, sounds like your vision is pretty good. I don't mean to dissuade you from getting Progressives, but that was just my experience. The mid-range has never been apparent and they would say I need to find that "sweet spot". Hah. Well, it's barely there and I might position my head a certain angle to attain it...even my Dr. said "That's weird". That's why I think I will just get different pairs.

My first Cataract surgery just was not right and I didn't know how screwed up it was, trusting my Dr. who kept saying "it had to heal". Not only did it not look good physically, but have more floaters and a change in vision. (The procedure also caused my eyelid to droop). I had a glasses-lens changed for that eye every two months by one optician who would do that.

After about 6 months, I gave up and returned to my previous Ophthalmologist who then did my other eye with Laser equipment, and had no trouble with (when the first eye was cut into). (I had only left him originally due to billing issues). My only complaint was, that they BOTH altered my very close range that allowed me to focus closely without glasses (such as for applying makeup, threading a needle, drawing, etc.) After the first guy screwed that up, the 2nd Dr. said "I evened 'em up!" , even though I was specific about his not doing so. So now, I cannot focus closer than 6-8", the first eye being worse overall and feel it will never be normal.

Now, you can read stories from those who had IOL's inserted and they will say they it was perfect or that they "no longer need glasses", etc., but everyone's vision and experiences vary. What can I say... I feel I may have tried to address there being an error of some sort and the 2nd guy doesn't see that there is anything wrong, but says "I'm not going in there". 😏 So..anyway. (I still have not had my eyelid repaired, since the eye-lift surgeon I met in the Dr's office I did not care for and also, fear something may go wrong, yet it needs correction). Have tried to find another (they claim they need to do BOTH, to "make them even", yet my right eyelid is normal. 😒 I just don't know... just another concern. (Another lengthy post.. ☺️ )

Old 08-27-2017, 06:34 AM

5,949 posts, read 5,118,964 times
I noticed in one of the posts above that it was mentioned Medicare does not cover glaucoma. My insurance (United Healthcare) covers anything diagnostic associated with eyes, which of course includes glaucoma.

I admit, I am insurance dumb, have always assumed that since I am collecting SS (I'm 75) that I am also eligible for Medicare. I am of the mind that if Medicare approves this, then that is why my insurance covers it.

Is this correct?

Old 08-27-2017, 02:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I noticed in one of the posts above that it was mentioned Medicare does not cover glaucoma. My insurance (United Healthcare) covers anything diagnostic associated with eyes, which of course includes glaucoma.

I admit, I am insurance dumb, have always assumed that since I am collecting SS (I'm 75) that I am also eligible for Medicare. I am of the mind that if Medicare approves this, then that is why my insurance covers it.

Is this correct?
If it was NoMoreSnowForMe's post, she was talking about cataracts. They have to be at a certain stage for Medicare to cover surgery and then your Medigap plan will cover it as well. Glaucoma would be a different diagnosis with different guidelines for coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement