Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:00 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
because the topic is still 'current' not to OP but to others. I hope that my 2 cents regarding the necessity of medication can be of help to people who are suffering from depression.
And you're absolutely correct in trying to help.

Odd that the OP would list so many problems searching for answers and then just head off to different categories. Makes one wonder if it was made up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 01:18 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
^ ^ But judging from all the similar experiences here, it's obviously still relevant, so why do some folks seem to obsess over stuff like how "old" a thread is? These sorta "thread police" remind me of the same types who have this compulsion to "straighten" the pictures on the wall whenever they visit someone else's house!

BTW, another 'trick' that's perhaps somewhat crude but still effective, is to just use a bit of 'stimulant' now and then like strong coffee, a cigar or "Red Bull", etc…. and it's amazing how with all that new-found restlessness, the 'funk' just kinda disappears, and one finds "projects" and "honey do's" that suddenly all require attention!

Old 04-06-2015, 05:15 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneoskay View Post
Since my husband has retired from 40 years in the post office he is very depressed that friends no longer come around to visit him. He actually cries and says everthing he does is a failure and no hope about the future etc.

He is only 59 The doctor suggested prozac but he doesn't want to take it

Counselrs tell him everyone goes through this but it doesn't help him. he stays indoors and doesn't do much all day, goes to bed early and gets up early.

He has a loyal siamese cat that is his only friend.

He has no interest in anything - he used to love model train. He isn't imterested in tv any more.
Any suggestions about reinventing himself
OP, before you do anything, get blood tests for Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D. B12 result has to be "well over 500". Vit D has to be 30+. (85% of the US population is deficient in Vit D, and people over 55 have a hard time absorbing B12 from their food intake.)

Your husband sounds like me, shortly after I retired. It was simply (simply?) that my B12 and D were WAY too low. They were in the 'low normal' range, but a nerdy endocrinologist, who I am grateful to everyday, said the results were "way too low". He gave me on B12 injections and mega-doses of D3 to bring both up to normal. Three days after I had my first B12 injection, I felt MUCH better. The D3 took a couple of weeks. But in 2-4 weeks, I was back to normal (well, normal for me LOLOL).

Don't let him take anything before he gets these tests done. Even if you have to pay for these tests out of pocket -- they are very inexpensive and well worth any cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement