Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Our reasons were many and chief among them was/is liveability. We have come from the two season, Northern California area to a land of four distinct seasons, none of them particularly harsh. Wildlife abounds. The people are friendly, hospitable and welcoming. There's a true sense of history and tradition and God and Country are concepts that aren't merely accepted but freely expressed and celebrated. The area is readily and handily affordable. It's not crowded and I'm beginning to forget what traffic is like. The air is clean and the stars shine brightly with minimal ambient light to obscure the view of the night sky. Patriotism and appreciation for veterans predominates. People wave when they pass by and you can wave back without fear of negative consequences. No one appears to be in a rush and I have yet to observe one instance of road rage. Drivers are considerate. Youth are not apparently tattooed and pierced and are polite. Hometown pride and loyalty are evident. Children actually play outside and do so safely and without fear. I could go on.

In short, we've returned to America, and we love it!
You could be writing about upstate NY, as everything sounds like where we live, except for the winters, although not harsh to us, can produce quite a bit if snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 11:32 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Because I was stupid. North Carolina Bible Belt is pretty myopic and backward thinking. Probably will move when the market gets better.

Morals of the bible belt are not for everyone.Some even liike the thug life tho in the cities.Takes all kihnds.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
My living expense in the south is half of what it was up north.

LOL

That is what we found when we moved here.

That our lower cost-of-living is much lower than when we had lived in California, or Washington, or Virginia, or florida, ...

Old 10-07-2009, 10:44 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Morals of the bible belt are not for everyone.Some even liike the thug life tho in the cities.Takes all kihnds.
We used to say the "Moral Majority" was neither. There are very religious thugs and there is some pretty thuggish behavior among those who live in the bible belt. There are also lots of really great people there. There are also lots of great people who live in cities. This kind of bias is why many who really believe in freedom do find the oppressive in your face "morality" sometimes found in the bible belt not to be amenable.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:29 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,894,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Many retire to the south due to less tolerance for cold.
However, I think the Lakes Region of NH is one of the best places to retire in the north. Winters are fairly sunny and temps are not tough to take. The other three seasons are spectacular.
Just the thought of living that far north makes me shiver.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:51 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Thankfully many people enjoy the north and prefer the cold instead of the heat. Just think if EVERYONE moved south!!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 09:19 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
The cold is much easier to tolerate than the Midwest due to very little wind.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Thankfully many people enjoy the north and prefer the cold instead of the heat. Just think if EVERYONE moved south!!!!
They can stay in the north and leave more room in Florida for us.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The cold is much easier to tolerate than the Midwest due to very little wind.
Not when you have arthritis or other physical problems exacerbated by the cold.

And since I'm from NJ, I can only relate to the weather conditions during winter here, which are milder than they are in the Midwest or in the New England states. To me, cold is cold is cold -- and once it drops between a certain temperature, I'm miserable, physically and emotionally.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:31 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
Quote:
Not when you have arthritis or other physical problems exacerbated by the cold.

And since I'm from NJ, I can only relate to the weather conditions during winter here, which are milder than they are in the Midwest or in the New England states. To me, cold is cold is cold -- and once it drops between a certain temperature, I'm miserable, physically and emotionally.

I agree. My wife's asthma is easily triggered by cold weather. And, any temp lower than about 20F I find I cannot tolerate at all...can't work outside for more than about 15 minutes at a time. The idea that one "gets used to it" regarding cold weather, is a bunch of hooey. If anything, my tolerance for cold weather is much less than when I was younger...

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement