Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 06:16 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times

Advertisements

My FIL has begun having different sleep patterns. He seems to wake up a lot at night, then is tired and sleeps all afternoon. Is this common? He is 87.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
The rpoblem probaly is that he is sleepig too much during the day, Its alos not uncommon for older peope who are lesss active to need less sleep at night.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My FIL has begun having different sleep patterns. He seems to wake up a lot at night, then is tired and sleeps all afternoon. Is this common? He is 87.
Not everybody has what is considered a "normal" sleep pattern. In fact, they can vary wildly depending on age, circumstances, etc. If your FIL is complaining and unhappy about his sleep patterns, then he needs to make some changes in his lifestyle so that he will be tired at night and will sleep well. If he is not complaining and his sleeping pattern is not causing any problems, who cares?

Having a sleep disorder myself (Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome), I have always slept much better during the day. Unfortunately, however, the rest of the world is pretty much 9 -5.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-07-2009, 07:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Is this common? He is 87
very common, many couples of that age keep separate sleeping rooms to let each other sleep. I recently did an RV trip with a similar couple who wanted 'one-last-voyage'. I don't think anyone slept till we got home.

As mentioned above, it is best to alter lifestyle to assist, and take some drugs if it works, but sleep is fleeting in many an 'old-r-age' person.

Quote:
I have always slept much better during the day. Unfortunately, however, the rest of the world is pretty much 9 -5.
Maybe that explains my happiness in working 28 yrs of evenings and nights, (and I thought it was b-cuz I didn't like working with whiners or politics ). I usually get 4-6 hrs sleep, and do better with a 10 min nap during the day. I must eat ~ 11AM and 3pm, then take supper at 9-10pm (I know, not good for health, but works great for sleeping, I usually fall asleep about 6" before head hits the pillow (about 1-2AM)). I am fortunate enough to keep weight off, so late night eating works for me. Besides. 10 PM was early to eat when living in Spain.

For sleep aids I like the following;
  • having a list ready for tomorrow
  • 1/2 caplet of Tylenol PM
  • small cup of milk (I take mine cold)
  • antihistamine if I'm too 'wired'.
  • 1/2 hr of gentle music
  • very quiet
  • very dark
  • stretching / relaxing exercises once stretched out in bed.
  • + a few 'old fashioned' prescription meds in very light doses if sleep abates for a week or longer

Old 10-07-2009, 09:03 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Sleep habits

Yes, my FIL is complaining and we have discovered this recently. He broke his hip in April and has had surgery (the pins) but he is still in a lot of pain. He says he has trouble sleeping at night and when we talk to him during the day and/or go to see him, he is sleeping or just gotten up. Unusual for him. We think he is depressed and my husband is starting to be concerned. I have been concerned.

My husband suggested Alteril. It is over the counter stuff.

I am a sound sleeper myself. I hit the pillow and don't wake up. If I happen to wake up, it's very rare and I don't like it. I hope that's not the future.

Thanks for your good suggestions.

(He may have to have a full hip replacement - he doesn't want to but we have 90 days to figure it out - it's been 6 months now - still in pain). We want him to have a good quality of life and enjoy the life he has worked hard for.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:17 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Could be depression. That will cause wakefulness at 3-4 a.m.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:37 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
Pain and anxiety about another operation, no wonder he can't sleep.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I was just thng that it resembles alot of teh sleep pattern of juveniles now days when the next day isn't a school day.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:59 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,566,765 times
It is very normal the pattern he has of sleeping in the day and being awake at night at his age. There is alot written on the net about this as I am eldercaring a 91 y.o. mother for the past 5 years and have pulled up tons on this. She does the exact same behavior as he is doing. I think it's just an old age thing....but do look it up.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:38 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
One thing to factor in about waking during the night at an older age: having to pee more frequently. I used to go w/o the urge all night. Now I wake up at least once about 3 to go, even if I'm restricting my water intake during the later hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement