Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I stand corrected.

I do know a lot of guys through the VFW who use the VA a great deal.

So I only know of the VA through what they say.

Thank you for the correction.
That's ok...no problem....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 10:26 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Wow 18 Combat tours has to be a record ...
Not at all.

I know a handful who did more. I 'skated' out of doing as many as I should have done.

I first enlisted in 1976 and retired in 2001. When you consider a ratio of years served to tours, mine is rather low.

When speaking with other vets I often have to remind myself that their exposure to the military was often a finite period of 3, 4, 5, or 6 years.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:45 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
To set the record straight------a " combar tour"-- in the Navy is completely different than a " comat tour" in the Army or Marines.

I doubt FB has witnessed a single death at enemy hands of his fellow sailors in all of his--"combat tours"

Few Marines or Army soldiers could state that.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
That's not true.....Take it from "The average 'vet'" that uses the VA Hospital... I'll admit that it is not as good as having private health insurance....but you are wrong on both of those statements.
SWo why was there cush a scndal about Walter reed which was supposed to be the top military hospital. I will bet that if healthvcare is passed people are not goping to beleiev how the facities run down in years to come or the doctor competency changes. I wouod bet many that would ahve become doctors will skip the eight years and internship;high cost to go into other professions

Old 11-09-2009, 01:58 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,815,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Your TX must be from a different planet than the one I know of. (Earth), I'm hoping and praying that someone in the Senate has more sense than the Jr. legislator's in the House.

My meager Healthcare $ will no longer be used for most competitive care, It will now be split between minimal care and a HUGE gov bureaucracy that is far from efficient and will only rob $ from quality of care.
Pain will turn to death as many cases will be put off priority, "take-a-number". I know too many Canadians who have come to the USA and PAID to get care that they were denied in Canada. These are the ones that survived. Pain also comes for those of us who prefer to pay a few hundred $ (rather than few thousand) in premiums because we can set aside $$$ for high deductibles. Now they will 'dumb-it-down' like public schools, everyone loses EXCEPT those who were falling through the cracks due to no incentive to succeed. At least we will all be on an even level, (the gutter...)

BTDT 5 yrs ago when I got laid off, thus I have a feeling I'll be in the 4% W/o coverage, since once you are expired from the roles of unemployment you don't count for anything. (no stimulus $, no elderly $, no extension of benefits, no COBRA, no nothing) (except a potential fine for not carrying mandatory 'Obamacare'). I'm sure the fine will be cheaper than the premium, and if I don't have the $ for paying for inefficient Gov regulation (Obamacare premiums), I certainly don't have the $$$ for the fine. I'll take my chances, and if I want care I will get a ticket to Thailand. ($400)

Affordable healthcare is highly desired by me, but I assure you the plan is neither healthcare, or affordable. It's a joke, that's why they plan to hold the election hostage by not offering it till AFTER we get to our knees and vote them in again, WRONG... Party over, no solutions brought, just 20+% growth in national debt, and stimulus spent on 'non-job-producing' fluff, sorry, Party over... time to pay the Piper of Obamaville March on you munchkins.
Texas has been a Rep state but it almost flipped in this election.

Majority is Democrats in the Senate. No need for Rep support. We got this one.

If we do nothing, then more people will die because they don't have health care. Estimated 36 million do not have coverage.

This new bill eliminates the 'Pre-Existing Condition'.

This does not effect the people who do have coverage through their employer. You do understand that COBRA is expensive right and buying Health coverage for yourself cost arm and a leg.

BTDT? Every person should have health coverage. If you are not healthy, then you can't work and also are struggling to improve your health.

Lol, ticket to Thailand and health will cost you a lot more the fine. Atleast we now have affordable health care for Americans.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is no such thing as soy milk , its soy juice, there is no such thing as soy (*) (*)
Thats what the Silk brand says.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's because, up until the '50s people paid cash for their health care for the most part. No insurance companies. Minimal government involvement. No middlemen to jack up the price. Prices were transparent. If people didn't like their doc, they could go somewhere else. No need to wait for the "open enrollment" period at work.

Gee, health care was a lot cheaper as a % of what people earned back then, too. Hmmmm, I think there's a correlation there.
When Senate passes the bill, it will be cheaper as ever.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The pain will merely be distributed around more evenly. The high costs of our bloated and inefficient system are still there. Getting everyone covered doesn't fix the cost problem at all--it just spreads it around more evenly, as states like Massachusetts have proven. At the rate we're going, we're going to bankrupt ourselves paying all this money for mediocre/poor results.
What pain? Like I said earlier, nothing changes if you have coverage through your employer.

Do you want to pay out of pocket fees when you are not working?
What about when your retire early?

Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1of2 View Post
To get back to the original question in this thread: yes, I retired at 38. Yes, paying for health insurance has been a mighty nightmare. No, I don't believe that the Minions of the Wealthy (congress) are going to do anything to help we Little People in the realm of healthcare or anywhere else for that matter.

If the Congress would just pass LAWS like they are supposed to, we could do the rest for ourselves, and it wouldn't cost a taxpayer dime:
--require all providers--hospitals, doctors, labs, drugmakers--operate as 401c3 corporations.
--require all providers post their prices (hey, like going to McDonalds!) so that finally we can do some comparison shopping.
--put a price on human life so that people can't sue and sue and sue (because guess who pays for all that?). Institute criminal charges for doctors that are truly negligent, take away their license to practice.

If we controlled costs in this way, we could say bye-bye to the profit-sucking insurance man and pay our chosen providers directly. But right now, costs are out of control. You can sure bet that Congress will do nothing to rein them in. We're doomed.

If we do nothing then costs will keep going skyrocketing.

Health Care Reform is the only solution!

Old 11-09-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Not way out in the boonies, but yes rural.

7 miles from the freeway another 12 miles into a city with multiple hospitals, colleges, shopping, and an international airport.

We are in an area that has no droughts, ever.

Low cost of living and crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement