Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 05:59 PM

823 posts, read 3,689,096 times

Advertisements

Check out

Las Cruces or Albuquerque, NM
Reno, NV
Grants Pass, O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 09:46 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
Grants Pass, O
Okay, I give up????? Where is this one, LOL???

We are looking in the Tri Cities area of TN. We have plenty of time but it's never too early to be checking it all out. Liz

Old 07-31-2007, 12:51 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,757 times
Grants Pass is in Oregon .......I agree with Norm .... Las Cruces, NM is amazing ...best weather...scenery....etc

Old 07-31-2007, 02:07 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,534 times
My in-laws are set to retire within the next 10 years, and they love the Seattle/Medina area. Only problem is, the property crime levels are enough to drive anyone away. My parents settled in Connecticut, and retired there. I'm 24, and just bought the home I plan to "retire" in.

It's a really long stretch for you, but maybe look at South Windsor, CT.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:07 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
The thing is you can't have everything you want - there are things about every single place that aren't going to be your first choice or favorite.

The best cost of living and lowest crime are in areas that are probably humid and/or hot. The best weather is probably where there are tons of people and high cost of living. I don't consider desert weather good weather because if is often unbearably hot in the summer.

The East Coast has beautiful areas but many of them are crowded, have high housing cots, high crime and heat and humidity in the summer and snow in the winter. The further north you go, the colder the winters - the further south the hotter the summers.

The mid-west has heat and humidity and dreadful winters but great all-American cities and towns and often low cost of living.

We wanted access to a city that offers great services, a good airport, is centrally located so that we could drive to fun places, lower cost of living than So. California, nice safe suburbs, lots of green trees and natural beauty (we detest the desert) - so we chose Kentucky.

It is hot and humid in KY for 3 months out of the year but there are days in the 70's with mild weather in the summer too (the heat and humidity is why things are so lush and green). Spring and fall are gorgeous. The winters are usually fairly mild with some snow that doesn't stay on the ground very long. They have theater, a symphony orchestra, first class hotels and restaurants, a ballet, museums, great shopping, lots of good hospitals and doctors, a large and very nice airport, boating (the Ohio River) and lots of open beautiful spaces - we aren't thrilled with the humidity and heat during some of the summer but there are so many things that we do love about KY.

Weather isn't everything. Quality of life comprises a whole lot of things besides weather.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:22 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Default build a matrix

Big word for make a list. The reality is if you can be honest... and for some brutally honest... then build a list that starts as most important and ends at least important.

Then find a place that fits the list. If you do it by "how you feel" then tomorrow might take you in a completly different direction.

My wife and I made our list and spent 2 years and many trips to a general area (few states near the Blue Ridge, Va, W.Va, Ky, Nc, Tn, Ga,) and finally made our choice.

I wanted seclusion she wanted community, I wanted rural she wanted services and convienences... so it wasn't easy, but we did it.

Worked for us... but we made the commitment to the process because we knew if we defined the logic (what) and made the process support the logic it would be a good choice... oh yeah... we prayed a lot about it.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:31 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
My in-laws are set to retire within the next 10 years, and they love the Seattle/Medina area. Only problem is, the property crime levels are enough to drive anyone away. My parents settled in Connecticut, and retired there. I'm 24, and just bought the home I plan to "retire" in.

It's a really long stretch for you, but maybe look at South Windsor, CT.
Your 'rents settled in CT??!! The state with the highest tax burden? How did they do it? I love CT and have lots of family in NY but my husband just responds with the word 'taxes' whenever I make noise about going back.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:34 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,847 times
have you considered northern Nevada, we are retiring in Northern Nevada from Alaska, we plan to be snow birds. When we decided to retire outside we started traveling around and kept coming back to Nevada. No state income tax, low sales tax and low property taxes. We are out in the middle of nowhere they says but it works for us. Power, Water, telephone and roads that lead anywhere and everywhere.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:26 PM

232 posts, read 994,453 times
Look into Huntsville, AL. Boeing has a large contingent here so you might be able to get some insider opinion but it's cheap here, plentiful housing in all price ranges and a lot to do. Close to Nashville, Atlanta, Asheville, Memphis and Birmingham. Good airport, I-65 runs by just west of here and the Army (Redstone Arsenal), NASA (Marshall Space Flight Center) and aerospace contractors are the primary employment.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:00 AM

113 posts, read 333,194 times
Retiring: Knoxville-and other southern cities such as Greenville,SC...both have high air quality issues in the spring and summer. Greenville altho a super lovely place is rated the highest in the country for upper respiratory diseases..check out topics like asthma, allergies to get a descending list of cities across the country. The valley of the mountains (such as Maryville, Tn) gets you more air quality issues...here the vegetative gases from the Smokys play into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement