Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 07:59 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,861,089 times

Advertisements

Just want to know if it takes months and months to be approved for SSI if you were already approved months ago for SSD disability? I was denied SSI because I had over the allowed amount in my bank account, but finances are getting low now. Since I already get SSD based on my years working will I automatically get approved for SSI if my bank account is low enough and how long does it take? And do you have to do all the stacks of paperwork over again like I did for SSD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 PM

92 posts, read 512,526 times
The disability requirements for SSI are the same as for SSDI. However, not only are your assets considered in determining your eligibility for SSI, your income is also considered and your SS disability benefit is considered income which could reduce any SSI payment.

Your local SS office could advise you on whether you meet the non-disability requirements for SSI, and assist you if you wish to file an application.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:45 PM

11,080 posts, read 6,893,394 times
My understanding from talking with an attorney's office this morning is that taking SSI reduces your take on your SSD monthly. Not sure if your situation fits into that, of course.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:58 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,406,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
My understanding from talking with an attorney's office this morning is that taking SSI reduces your take on your SSD monthly. Not sure if your situation fits into that, of course.
That is not correct. SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) is determined on your earning records and is paid out of the SS trust fund. Once you are determined eligible, it does not change but will be adjusted with cost of living increases, if there are any--as in this year, there was none.

SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is paid from the general fund. It is paid if you qualify as someone who has limited resources and income. Your SSDI is included in your income and can make you ineligible for SSI, if you exceed the statutory limit and the total income determines the SSI, if qualified.

SSDI can reduce SSI but SSI cannot reduce SSDI.

The answer to the OP question is simple. If you resources and income changes, all you have to do is reapply for SSI. You will need to provide new income and resource records but it is not the same bunch of paperwork that you needed to do for SSDI.

I know this because I receive SSDI but have been determined ineligible for SSI because of resources. I was automatically applied for SSI because my initial SSDI payment were below the threshold but when I reported my assets, that is cash in savings, IRA, investments etc.--I was not eligible. If I become eligible, which I doubt, I will reapply. I am single and the limit on assets is $2000--that is not much money. I would have to spend down, a lot of money or get a wife and then it will all be gone, instantly.

Livecontent

Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,229 times
I applied for ssi in august now i am about to see there doctor what can I expect I do have a back promblem an pinched nerve am I expected to do a lot of bending
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement