Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 04:23 PM

139 posts, read 531,640 times

Advertisements

Peoria sounds remarkable for a town of its size. I did some research on it and discovered some remarks you made, Linicx, last August, where it was compared to Tulsa. There seem to be many similarities between the two cities, although they are a different size. I was interested in this because Tulsa is a place I have been considering. I don't really want to live in a city, but the general area seems to have fairly cheap housing, important when you have pets.
I also discovered that Allegiant Air, with its cheap flights, goes direct from Phoenix to Peoria. I need to make some kind of a decision soon because, although it is still remarkably pleasant here now, it will be horribly hot before long.
I do wonder if living in Illinois would be a problem, and how people in Peoria would act toward a stranger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 06:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,547,928 times
I have been living in the cultural dead-land of Portland OR for 30 years but was born and raised in Chicago. I remember Peoria as being a great town all those years ago and it sounds even better now. The only draw back I can think of is the humid Midwestern summers.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:53 PM

139 posts, read 531,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have been living in the cultural dead-land of Portland OR for 30 years but was born and raised in Chicago. I remember Peoria as being a great town all those years ago and it sounds even better now. The only draw back I can think of is the humid Midwestern summers.
The problem with Portland, as I see it, is that the standards are just not very high. There is quite a difference between it and Chicago. (I have a friend who says there is no such thing as a bad restaurant in Chicago, but that may be taking it a little too far.) The humidity in the mid-west and south does give me some pause. I am used to New York City kind of humidity, and I've been in humid places for short periods of time, but I'm not sure how I would react now. One major reason I need to leave the Phoenix area is because I am really suffering from the heat and a health problem is exacerbated by it. I hate having to live in AC in the summer.
But, I agree with you. Peoria sounds like a great place.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:32 PM

6,906 posts, read 11,296,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Peoria is a very old town with a very old history and culture. The university was founded before 1900. The summer theater group is the fourth oldest in the nation. The juried Art Fair is the oldest in Illinois, as is the park district. Peoria has the only active performing opera group in Illinois. outside of Chicago That isn't all. Peoria has all types of mustic from Chamber to jazz and from Orchestra to children's music workshops. Music is stressed K-12. We love music whether it is Greek or Polka, or Broadway or Barbershop or coomunity or great choirs, or bands or guitar. You find it inside our acustical buildings, amphitheater, and in the park, too.

I love music, I salute anyone who can create it. Peoria is a town of people helping people. It is upscale and downtown. It is highrise condo, elegant apartments, and single family homes in modest neighborhoods, It is small and big business. It is green. It is a mix of rolling hills and forested areas, green lawn and naturen. It is a community of colors and many talents and privated clubs and regional foods. Chances are if you come to visit and spend more than a day you'll find what you seek. And it is affordable. Our grocery tax is currently 1%. Our housing is mixed. You can find a nice apartment in a good neighborhood for less than $500, but if you don't have a set budget, the sky is the limit. I think it meets seniors needs quite well.
Sounds very nice; just wish it didn't get cold. Do you get tornadoes there?
(Might be a good place for a 2nd home).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement