Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:47 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,221,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
They report the people who have passed not the people still alive. If you saw that list you might go wow people are really living longer.
But the people still alive will get their name on it sometime.

The guy who got the short end was in an obituary from a year ago-----

Died at age 64

It stated he worked at a well known good paying factory for 45 years and retired recently.

Since his wife was killed in a car wreck a few years earlier, he sure left a nice chunk of SS in the " trust fund"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 10:04 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,425,097 times
Thanks for that calculator, T! I've got another 22 years. I think my (sorta high despite meds) blood pressure dragged it down a bit.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:38 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,099,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Thanks for that calculator, T! I've got another 22 years. I think my (sorta high despite meds) blood pressure dragged it down a bit.
Good for you. Stay with the meds live long and prosper.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:39 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,099,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
But the people still alive will get their name on it sometime.

The guy who got the short end was in an obituary from a year ago-----

Died at age 64

It stated he worked at a well known good paying factory for 45 years and retired recently.

Since his wife was killed in a car wreck a few years earlier, he sure left a nice chunk of SS in the " trust fund"
That is one of the reason why folks are opting to retire early and get SS and know they got it and had time and health to enjoy spending it.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:26 PM

6,886 posts, read 11,265,148 times
Smile Obituary notices

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You need to understand that Obituary Notices are not mandatory. In fact, today, it cost to put notices in many paper; it was free years ago. So, many families choose not to even bother with the expense. In addition, with mobility of the population, people who die are only known by their immediate family and it would serve no purpose. In addition, death notices and obituaries do not necessarily reflect the same time frame. One can put a notice immediately in the paper or even wait weeks. Also, one paper does not reflect all the notices; there are many papers in an area. So, reading the paper is not going to give you good information.

Median is not going to give you much, nor would Mean. You would have to look closely at more statistical measures to get any importance from the data.

Livecontent
In our area, I just found out that the funeral home will post one in the paper (they ask which one you prefer) as a courtesy listing. The family can post their own as well which does cost per line.

My mom just recently passed away and we just went through this, however, it was well worth the expense.

We just had her memorial service and over 300 came. What a great testament to her life. She was 89 and obviously was wealthy due to her family and so so many friends.

Median age, I think, for men is 77; women 83. (I just read that somewhere).

Old 03-31-2010, 10:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,458,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

We just had her memorial service and over 300 came. What a great testament to her life. She was 89 and obviously was wealthy due to her family and so so many friends.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement