Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 11:24 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times

Advertisements

Me: I've had a fairly successful sales and business development career in a job I love. I'm about to turn 56, and my hope was to work until at least 65, maybe longer if I'm still enjoying it.

My only real need that is not covered is Insurance, and I can get that via my Wife's work until I turn 65 for Medicare.

Fast-forward to today, and my boss is encouraging me to retire earlier. I "could" make it just fine if I only covered my insurance costs, but I would much rather cover all of my expenses until at least age 65: Insurance, Utilities, Food, Fun, etc. (My mortgage is effectively paid off, I have the money in a CD making more than the interest rate on my loan, it's liquid and readily available with minimal penalty).

So that's the background. I feel like my sales experience is very niche, and quite frankly, when I leave this job, I don't want another management job. I just want to come to work, do my job, exceed expectations, and go home. I could do that at another non-manager sales job, or really anything.

So, I realize nobody knows ME, so you really can't tell me what jobs would be great for me, but maybe you can tell me what jobs you are working in Semi-retirement and what you like or dislike about it. Maybe that will help me craft my own ideas about what will work for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 11:29 AM

7,602 posts, read 3,265,767 times
He's "encouraging" you because it is illegal to force people to retire. How this is usually handled is that a large layoff takes place in which it skews toward older workers being laid off.

F him stay there and do your job as long as you are able to.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
He's "encouraging" you because it is illegal to force people to retire. How this is usually handled is that a large layoff takes place in which it skews toward older workers being laid off.

F him stay there and do your job as long as you are able to.
EDIT: He's not intentionally encouraging me to retire. Just the culture he's cultivating is "motivating" me to retire. He has repeatedly said he values me and hopes I'll stay at least until his retirement, he's approximately the same age as me.

That's not what's happening at all. He's in over his head, being a [SELF SENSORED] head to everyone, young and old, and also dealing with personal life issues. he's actually a good guy, just struggling right now, and everyone else is paying the price.

I do plan to stay at my job, and "F-him" has you say, at least until it gets too unbearable.
But this is not forced retirement.

BTW, I'm the top earner in my company, and have been for all but 2 of the 20+ years I've worked there. I know nobody is irreplaceable, but even he acknowledges that it would kill them if I left. He's nearly begged me to stay at some points (even though I never threaten to leave). I can tell you, it ain't that!

That being said, I also know anyone can lose their job on any day, I'm not overly cocky eitehr.

But back to the subject at hand:

What jobs are other retirees enjoying? One day, I'm going to do some work simply to stay busy and because I like what I'm doing. Not because I'm running from an overbearing boss. For that day, I'm just curious what others are enjoying.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:00 PM

88,609 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
EDIT: He's not intentionally encouraging me to retire. Just the culture he's cultivating is "motivating" me to retire. He has repeatedly said he values me and hopes I'll stay at least until his retirement, he's approximately the same age as me.

That's not what's happening at all. He's in over his head, being a [SELF SENSORED] head to everyone, young and old, and also dealing with personal life issues. he's actually a good guy, just struggling right now, and everyone else is paying the price.

I do plan to stay at my job, and "F-him" has you say, at least until it gets too unbearable.
But this is not forced retirement.

BTW, I'm the top earner in my company, and have been for all but 2 of the 20+ years I've worked there. I know nobody is irreplaceable, but even he acknowledges that it would kill them if I left. He's nearly begged me to stay at some points (even though I never threaten to leave). I can tell you, it ain't that!

That being said, I also know anyone can lose their job on any day, I'm not overly cocky eitehr.

But back to the subject at hand:

What jobs are other retirees enjoying? One day, I'm going to do some work simply to stay busy and because I like what I'm doing. Not because I'm running from an overbearing boss. For that day, I'm just curious what others are enjoying.
I don't know much about your industry, but I am enjoying working part-time in retirement doing something I never thought of. It is RELATED to what I did before, and mostly has to do with the fact that I know a lot of people in the engineering industry in the NYC/NJ region. I love the people I work for, the work is easy, and the money is good and I get asked if I am available. There's no pressure and never a feeling of running. I attend engineering events on behalf of my company and talk to people. Usually there is food involved, too.

So, similarly, there might be something related to your industry and you are unaware that you have this value to someone because of all you do now.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I'm still working full time as a manager and just turned 71, planning to retire in a few months. If I were to get a part-time job in retirement I would look at something that I would find fun, related to my hobbies. That would be retail at a home center, garden center, auto parts store, or even Harbor Freight. Hopefully I won't need the extra money and can spend my time doing my hobbies.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Me: I've had a fairly successful sales and business development career in a job I love. I'm about to turn 56, and my hope was to work until at least 65, maybe longer if I'm still enjoying it.

I think you do this until you're done and then do something fun (but, it sounds like you are already doing that). I think working for less money will be difficult. I want to do something that is strictly commissioned based or perhaps related to fur aliens (voluntary or not).

Old 08-01-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know much about your industry, but I am enjoying working part-time in retirement doing something I never thought of. It is RELATED to what I did before, and mostly has to do with the fact that I know a lot of people in the engineering industry in the NYC/NJ region. I love the people I work for, the work is easy, and the money is good and I get asked if I am available. There's no pressure and never a feeling of running. I attend engineering events on behalf of my company and talk to people. Usually there is food involved, too.

So, similarly, there might be something related to your industry and you are unaware that you have this value to someone because of all you do now.
This is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I was hoping for, thanks so much. (and I'm in a related industry, and could possibly do that, although I never even knew this type of job existed.)

Old 08-01-2023, 01:26 PM

844 posts, read 421,107 times
Quote:
BTW, I'm the top earner in my company, and have been for all but 2 of the 20+ years I've worked there.
Is the 2 out of the 20+ years that last 2 years?

Old 08-01-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
This is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I was hoping for, thanks so much. (and I'm in a related industry, and could possibly do that, although I never even knew this type of job existed.)

It might be that they use women more for that sort of soft role too (which may be why you never did hear about it). I have a friend that was an engineer and rose through the ranks pretty far and in retirement she is involved with educational seminars and major events. But, then, she was always president of this or that association and also did this while working. Got paid very, very well to be a sort of industry mascot.

Old 08-01-2023, 02:05 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,724,335 times
One option is occasional adjunct teaching. Being an adjunct pays very little, but it's rewarding. Having already written-out the class notes, and gone through a round of preparing HW and exams, the workload shouldn't be too heinous... it's much worse, if starting from scratch, developing a new class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement