Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:39 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,772 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our 40's and have no kids. We work at home and are renting until ready to buy again (which probably won't be for at least another year). Currently in the South but want to return to New England.

I am beginning to see that in some areas it's possible to rent in a 55+ community if you're not yet 55, and that rules and laws seem to vary by state and community.

I'm curious about anyone currently living in a Single Family unit "Active Adult" community who is under 55, what has been your experience so far? Is it the quiet place you expected? Are you accepted by others in the neighborhood?

It's become a challenge to find a nice, clean, QUIET, newer Single Family rental in a safe area where we can concentrate on our work (freelance software engineering). I am also amazed by the number of empty new construction units in some 55+ communities in CT that have been sitting on the market for over a year... not sure yet if I am able to approach these about renting to a quiet couple under 55.

Comments appreciated by anyone who's done this successfully, or also any negative experiences with this.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 05:01 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
My husband and I are in our 40's and have no kids. We work at home and are renting until ready to buy again (which probably won't be for at least another year). Currently in the South but want to return to New England.

I am beginning to see that in some areas it's possible to rent in a 55+ community if you're not yet 55, and that rules and laws seem to vary by state and community.

I'm curious about anyone currently living in a Single Family unit "Active Adult" community who is under 55, what has been your experience so far? Is it the quiet place you expected? Are you accepted by others in the neighborhood?

It's become a challenge to find a nice, clean, QUIET, newer Single Family rental in a safe area where we can concentrate on our work (freelance software engineering). I am also amazed by the number of empty new construction units in some 55+ communities in CT that have been sitting on the market for over a year... not sure yet if I am able to approach these about renting to a quiet couple under 55.

Comments appreciated by anyone who's done this successfully, or also any negative experiences with this.

Thanks!
I'm 47 and moved into a 55+ gated community a few months ago - condo - I don't do maintenance outside the condo, nor water the lawn. Its all part of the Home Owner's Assoc fee. I'm happy that the place is orderly - no cars parked on lawns or cinderblocks, no bicycles laying out on the streets, etcs. Florida (where I live) has some sort of law allowing folks under 55 to live in these communities - sometimes I think you need to get the HOA's permission. The people in my neighborhood are in their 50-80s. Sometimes I feel like I'm too young to interact with them - I think they appreciate having some "youth" around so the place doesn't appear like a old-folks community.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:03 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,692,780 times
Most of the 55+ rental communities are in high demand and many have waiting lists that extend for years. Any person occupying one of these rental units who is not 55 or over is preventing a person who is qualified from living there.
The 55+ communities I have lived in will allowed a resident who is age qualified to permit one child over the age of 25 to move in if the resident is in need of assistance.

The OP mentions open units in a 55+ community. I find that hard to believe as the one I am in has a active waiting list and no sooner does one person vacate and another moves in. I have been on the waiting list for one 55+ community in PA for almost seven years.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:31 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,772 times
I'm speaking of renting in a single family community not a rental community.... If you do a search in Simsbury, CT you will see empty 55+ for sale. I've lived in the area, have been actively keeping tabs on the MLS since 2004, and have seen these units sit empty for sale for three + years. I'm sorry you don't believe it. There have been more than several available for that amount of time so it's a matter of opinion wether or not it's preventing someone "qualified" to live there. There is a Fair Housing Act law that states a certain percentage may be under 55, so that would qualify as being qualified IMHO. No "waiting list" that is apparent. There are also some units in Avon, CT in the Buckingham development that come up for sale. Also the Hathaway Farms community in Suffield, CT also has units for sale every so often.

Last edited by itscolduphere; 05-06-2010 at 04:44 AM..

Old 05-06-2010, 05:29 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,482,498 times
There are waiting lists for over 55 income supported units here in Indy. But market rate units are available. A friend needed one, researched, found a new building, filed the income documents and was accepted.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:11 PM

184 posts, read 802,255 times
Default Here is a new construction rental in Farmington, CT

To the OP:

Here is a link to a listing on realtor.com for a new construction rental in Chimney Hill, a 55 plus community in Farmington, CT...not sure what price range and ammenities you are interested in, but might be worth a look...

1 Chimney Hill Dr, Farmington, CT, 06032 - MLS #G555605 - Rentals real estate - REALTOR.com®

Old 06-30-2010, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 6,492 times
Can a son, age 47 purchase a condominium (ownership in sons name) for his 70 + father if the father is the only one living there

Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Valley East View Post
Can a son, age 47 purchase a condominium (ownership in sons name) for his 70 + father if the father is the only one living there
The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is that there are no restrictions on ownership, only on residency. IOW, anyone can purchase a property in a 55+ community, but they may or may not be able to live there depending on the rules of the community.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:24 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
And to add, in some 55+ communities, they still accept people under 55+ as long as they maintain a 80/20% mix (20-percent under 55).

Old 07-01-2010, 03:49 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
In the original Sun City in AZ anyone can purchase a home, though one person must be 55+ as a permanent resident occupying the home. No children under 19 can live permanantly.
In Sun City Grand there has to be one person 45+ as a permanent resident occupying the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement