Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:11 PM

31,687 posts, read 41,084,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would imagine you could say that if you work your not retired and you wouldnt be wrong.

for some like myself and marilyn we always wanted to start a little photography business or i always wanted to work selling financial products and getting my license.

these are things i could never do at this stage if i needed an income... but when we retire it would be a dream to be able to do these things and not have to worry about making money at it
At this stage of your life is starting a photography studio really working or is it part of your lifestyle. Leaving your career and being employed at a golf course might not really be considered working in the traditional sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 05:12 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,942,453 times
I will be retired from the company where I worked for so many years. But, I will not be retired from life or from society.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:21 PM

183 posts, read 352,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I suspect retirement is in the eyes of the individual and is a personal perspective on their life.
Perfect!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
At this stage of your life is starting a photography studio really working or is it part of your lifestyle. Leaving your career and being employed at a golf course might not really be considered working in the traditional sense.
So what if I take my generous COLA'd pension that can support me quite well from Galactic Empire, Inc. and open a bistro. I work day and night and consider it a little slice if heaven, my passion, my dream. My lifestyle. I make gobs of money and have no time to travel, play golf or go fishing and I don't care. I'm having too much fun? Am I retired?

For my part, I say yes. Making money, in my mind, does not disqualify you from being retired. If retirement is the freedom to do what you want, when you want then the above qualifies.

You also say "working in the traditional sense". Are we not allowed to take traditional employment and be retired? What is traditional employment?

Just trying to get everyone's gears turning.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:42 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,040,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
So what if I take my generous COLA'd pension that can support me quite well from Galactic Empire, Inc. and open a bistro. I work day and night and consider it a little slice if heaven, my passion, my dream. My lifestyle. I make gobs of money and have no time to travel, play golf or go fishing and I don't care. I'm having too much fun? Am I retired?

For my part, I say yes.
For my part, I say an emphatic no.

Let me ask you the same question I posed earlier in this thread. Let's say you're at a dinner party and someone invariably asks what do you do? How do you respond?

Do you - or can you - simply say "I'm retired." I think not.

Do you say "I run flyfishnevada's bistro." Much more likely.

Of course, I suppose you coiuld start giving your resume: "I'm a retired executive with Galactic Empire, Inc., but now I own and operate flyfishnevada's bistro."

A little cumbersome to say the least.

So, it get's back to the Q&A. If you're asked what you do, can you simply say "I'm retired."

In the scenario that you presented, IMHO, that answer would have to be no.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:05 AM

106,851 posts, read 109,114,600 times
i guess if your working at something you either enjoy or just doing it to keep busy you could call yourself semi-retired.

i think thats pretty much the word we are all arguing about.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:42 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,926,886 times
Mathjak107's common sense is refreshing. (See his post #35 directly above).

Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 AM

183 posts, read 352,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Let me ask you the same question I posed earlier in this thread. Let's say you're at a dinner party and someone invariably asks what do you do? How do you respond?
What if my retirement plan all along was to open the bistro? I wanted to do that and I can honestly say, I am retired and opened a bistro for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I think thats pretty much the word we are all arguing about.
Exactly! It is the word. I don't think there is a word in the English language for what many of us plan to do. Leave our career, work doing something else on our terms, probably part-time, and some of the responses to my original question, such as by MMoB, show that.

I don't think it matters. You can call what you do retirement, and while some folks will get upset, it in no way diminishes their retirement (or shouldn't, anyway). It's not like if we allowed any guy who decides to pick up a scapel to call themselves a doctor. Society won't look at retirees any differently, or if they do it won't have any real effect, just because I say I am retired while I "work" at my bistro, mow fairways at a golf course or need a job at Wal-Mart to make a few extra bucks to travel.

Honestly, I am facinated by these responses. It is interesting that there is such a difference of opinion on the meaning of the word "retirement".

Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Perfect!!

For my part, I say yes. Making money, in my mind, does not disqualify you from being retired. If retirement is the freedom to do what you want, when you want then the above qualifies.

You also say "working in the traditional sense". Are we not allowed to take traditional employment and be retired? What is traditional employment?

Great points and I wouldn't disagree with you. My current thinking was a result of the thinking of others who are not and may never be able to have a comfortable retirement. I wonder if there could be a class element to it. My gut personal experience would be quite possibly.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
What if my retirement plan all along was to open the bistro? I wanted to do that and I can honestly say, I am retired and opened a bistro for fun.

Exactly! It is the word. I don't think there is a word in the English language for what many of us plan to do. Leave our career, work doing something else on our terms, probably part-time, and some of the responses to my original question, such as by MMoB, show that.

I don't think it matters. You can call what you do retirement, and while some folks will get upset, it in no way diminishes their retirement (or shouldn't, anyway). It's not like if we allowed any guy who decides to pick up a scapel to call themselves a doctor. Society won't look at retirees any differently, or if they do it won't have any real effect, just because I say I am retired while I "work" at my bistro, mow fairways at a golf course or need a job at Wal-Mart to make a few extra bucks to travel.

Honestly, I am facinated by these responses. It is interesting that there is such a difference of opinion on the meaning of the word "retirement".
Now you raise a interesting question. Yes you are financially secure and our retired working at Walmart for your mad money to travel with. We in this forum might consider you retired but would the other workers at Walmart who are doing the same thing you are doing for the same salary. Especially when they are working to survive.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Perfect!!

I suspect that depending where you opened your bistro and the financial wealth of your customers you might get different answers if you asked them if you were retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement