Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 AM

698 posts, read 3,273,189 times

Advertisements

Do you find that you watch more TV since retiring? If so,how much more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 AM

183 posts, read 352,787 times
I'm not retired yet (6 weeks!), but my dad is retired and single. He watches a lot of TV. He almost never watched it when he was working. It doesn't rule his life. He still gets out to do things, spend time with his grand sons, walk, go to the library, etc. I think he just takes advantage of his free time to catch up. He talks about the reruns he watches like most of us talked about them when we saw them way back when. He is seeing much of it for the first time. It's funny to here him compare stuff to Seinfeld of the Simpsons.

I will probably watch a little more TV. Mostly news, a few shows that I just don't have time for know but really like and sports. I doubt it will become an obsession. Like many here, I think the lure of the internet will be harder to resist. At least that is somewhat an mentally active endeavor as opposed to TV.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I'm not retired yet (6 weeks!), but my dad is retired and single. He watches a lot of TV. He almost never watched it when he was working.
I'm sort of the opposite. When I was working, I watched a lot of tv. I'd come home from work and then just veg out for the evening watching tv to unwind. I'd even eat dinner in front of the tv. Now that I'm retired, I seem to be too busy and have too many interesting things to do to just sit in front of a tv. When I am home in the morning (as I am right now awaiting a contractor), I do have CNBC on in the background in order to follow the market, but I rarely watch TV anymore in the evenings, and I certainly don't sit home to watch daytime tv. The only programs I make a point of watching (besides Squawk Box) are live sporting events.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:53 AM

37,824 posts, read 41,144,258 times
I still don't turn on the TV until dinner time but because I don't have to get up early in the morning anymore, I might watch a movie that starts at 10:00P because I can go to bed later.

I never was in the habit of watching morning or day time TV and that hasn't changed since I'm retired.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:45 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,116,401 times
No. Much less. I just disconnected my cable because it's expensive to keep if you don't use it. I just don't have the time.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:59 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,138,436 times
We are going to get rid of our TV.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,283,481 times
I'm watching more tv in the evenings now because I can stay up later. I still have no use for daytime tv. My internet time is way down now. It seems that it was quite a lure when I was tethered to a desk but now I have so many more active things to do. I'm usually tired by evening so seeing some shows I never had time for is nicer in the evening. That may go down as summer progresses.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:06 AM

37,586 posts, read 61,665,256 times
We do not watch TV.

We moved to an area that does not have cable, most of the towns in this state have no cable.

When they shut-down high-power TV broadcast our township was left with no TV reception.

Obviously we could pay for a satellite dish, but we don't want to, and so far we really would not have much time for watching TV.

As a person without TV reception, I do find it interesting to see how many others appear to be addicted to TV.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:11 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,244,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We do not watch TV.

We moved to an area that does not have cable, most of the towns in this state have no cable.

When they shut-down high-power TV broadcast our township was left with no TV reception.

Obviously we could pay for a satellite dish, but we don't want to, and so far we really would not have much time for watching TV.

As a person without TV reception, I do find it interesting to see how many others appear to be addicted to TV.

What is the difference between addicted to tv and addicted to the computer/internet ?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:35 AM

183 posts, read 352,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Honestly, we have considered killing our satellite. We also don't have cable availability or over the air channels. We only watch a few channels out of the 150 or so. Even the kids only watch a few channels. Many shows are availabe on DVD to buy or rent. Many of the long running, quality shows on the networks and channles like Discovery, Travel, etc. are out there.

The big problem for me is the sports. I though maybe I could watch games on the internet and save a few bucks. Nope, MLB extra innings, the NFL and NHL packages are just as expensive to stream on the internet as they are for the same thing on satellite. It would cost close to $500 a year just to buy those packages. However, I think I could do without. when you really think about it, you can waste a lot of time watching sports and how often is it really entertaining? Even if you miss the game of the year, you can download it and watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement