Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:12 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,567,566 times

Advertisements

Please excuse me if this has been talked about on this forum before, but I could not find anything pertaining to this subject:

But has anyone here that is SINGLE ever move to a 55+ community and have a negative experience there? Or found they just didn't fit in?
I ask because I have a friend who keeps harping at me to move to one of these communities, but she's married--and I'm not--and I think the situation will be totally different for me at one of these places, since it seems that in every single 55+ active adult community I've looked at at least 75% +/- are married!
Not such hot odds for singles. So, I'm hoping to hear from someone who is single and has actually done it to learn if they thought it was a positive move or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 11:05 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
I've known my share of folks who have moved to 55+ communities and loved them, married or not. my Mom lived in one after my dad died and she was readily accepted by everyone regardless of the fact she was single. A lot of the older women are trying to meet those women who may be their only companions if their husbands should die. Women are just more socially inclined to get things going along the lines of getting to know the neighbors and participating in the group activities. It is the older men who usually suffer the loss of companionship/friendship when the wife dies, they haven't made much of an attempt to cultivate those kind of relationships that the wives do. My guess is you will enjoy the company of people your age as time goes by, look on the web for retirement message boards, they have the most chatter on the choices they already made.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:48 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
I winter in a 55+ and I have no problem being accepted,I am asked to attend every social function and a few times a month neighbors bake me a cake or a pie ! there are lots of widows who are looking for companionship......but I like being out on my own!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:09 AM

htlong, you must be the rooster in the henhouse! Some guys would be thrilled at that position...what can I say?

Old 05-31-2010, 02:48 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Cool Reality !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Please excuse me if this has been talked about on this forum before, but I could not find anything pertaining to this subject:

But has anyone here that is SINGLE ever move to a 55+ community and have a negative experience there? Or found they just didn't fit in?
I ask because I have a friend who keeps harping at me to move to one of these communities, but she's married--and I'm not--and I think the situation will be totally different for me at one of these places, since it seems that in every single 55+ active adult community I've looked at at least 75% +/- are married!
Not such hot odds for singles. So, I'm hoping to hear from someone who is single and has actually done it to learn if they thought it was a positive move or not.
From participating in another public forum all about The Villages in central Florida I have learned that you are correct !

Most residents in the 55+ communities are couples. And although they do welcome the single woman into their group ~~ the single woman outnumbers the single male tremendously and the competition is not in the woman's favor !! So, if you really don't mind hanging out with the "girls" it would probably be a fun place to live

Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 AM

I've been looking at the Phoenix region lately for information, and the taxes there at the 55+ look much cheaper than just getting a condo/house/whatever in other parts of the city. That seems to be THE advantage of living there for a single gal, otherwise, I'm with you, ConeyIsBabe, I think it will be an all-girl festival for us single gals.
If there isn't a big tax advantage to living in a 55+, then I see no advantage for single women in one of these--unless they are thru with men (it happens) or just are looking for lots of gal pals.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:15 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Single in a 55+ community and find that our community has a ton of things for single people to do. It really depends on your own comfort level being outnumbered by couples. Our community has a lot of things geared toward women (exercise, arts/crafts/ "women's nights out"/etc etc. You may be missing out on some close friendships if you opt for a non-retirement community.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
htlong, you must be the rooster in the henhouse! Some guys would be thrilled at that position...what can I say?
yeah but dem babes better come with directions......Im just not worth a d@mn without directions........if only they would buy dinner....after the early bird!

Old 06-06-2010, 05:31 AM

tootsie,
it seems like its the men who die off before the woman and thats what hurts your odds.......and its no wonder why men die first......they had to live with you woman!
I gave my wife all of our rental homes, our house, and packed up my tools and left! I have been called stupid for giving it away but can anyone place a price tag on happiness? and life is sooooon enjoyable now,
in three years I havent been told by anyone that I am wrong or didnt do this or that right.....aaaahhhhh happiness is bliss!!!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2012, 04:04 PM

8 posts, read 10,095 times
I know this is an old thread but I would love to revive it, and wish that people would given specific details, easy to get confused when making such a huge decision. It seems like the fun deluxe places are all in fla or az , and hate the heat but seems like the best options are there, pebble creek , trilogy, del Webb festival have been suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement