Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:26 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,721,509 times

Advertisements

In looking around I am finding that I will have to get used to humidity again if I am to live in a warmer climate on the water.
I have never lived in the south and experienced it in the summers. My only travel there was in the early spring on one occasion.
After being in AZ for so many years that may be tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 01:31 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,738,189 times
Might be VERY hard. Humid as he-double hockey sticks in Texas. But since you are interested in TX, have you looked into Corpus Christi? I hear very reasonably priced place to live. Visitors

Old 06-02-2010, 01:40 PM

Yes, but being retired I don't need to be in a populated area either.
I am also looking up the road in the Rockport area.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:10 PM

183 posts, read 352,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Myrtle Beach or Murrell's Inlet, SC
+1

That area is on our short list. Not only fishing in the salt, but great warmwater fishing mid state and trout streams in the mountains. Sounds like paradise. We are taking a trip there this fall to check it out. From what I have found in my research, it is fairly resonable to live there. However, coming from Nevada, just about everywhere except California and Manhattan are cheaper as far as housing. Anyway, looks liek a great area and I know a few folks form other forums from there and they love it.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:11 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,282,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
In looking around I am finding that I will have to get used to humidity again if I am to live in a warmer climate on the water.
I have never lived in the south and experienced it in the summers. My only travel there was in the early spring on one occasion.
After being in AZ for so many years that may be tough.
True if the CA coast out. The only other warm coasts are all very humid. I'm still not used it after 27 years and hope to escape it within the next couple of years. Some think being right on the coast hels a lot but then again I never heard any westerner say that.

You should test drive it during the dog days of August before making any decisions.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:32 PM

I am not sure I need to. I looked it up on WX data sites.
I also got out of the Army in 1972 as my unit was deploying to Fort Bragg and I heard about the WX.
I had a chance before I retired early to go to King's Bay, GA and turned that down to based on the WX alone.
I may have to do away with the warmer requirement and look into OR.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:53 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,282,684 times
They call the almost CA southern OR coast the banana belt. Water is really cold tho. Very beautiful but fairly remote.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,823 posts, read 58,392,967 times
and OR is "
Quote:
he-double hockey sticks
" on taxation, legislation, political posturing, and state funding. + they just accepted CARB (CA emission regs). It is determined to be CA II, and WA is right behind (WA voted down CARB, but Gov (Weasel) said WA would do it if OR did....)

Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 PM

I was in WA with the wife's job in the 90s when we ran the resolution that reduced the license fees for cars and such.
The state said what we did was illegal and they would not honor the vote of the people.
They nearly got taken out of office in Olympia by force. They decided they would honor the vote after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement