Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:31 PM

7 posts, read 10,735 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm from Bahrain and gonna spend 4 weeks in roger williams university in a exchange program

I've been here for three days but I'm really bored and I cant find places near by to go, and till now i cant engage with american people

I planed to build a network of friends to spend my time with and to help me doing some stuff i want to do in US

so any ideas ? How shall i engage wih american people and what is probhit and whats not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 03:37 PM

688 posts, read 2,135,144 times
Hmm, I'm sure RWU has some nice person who is tasked with helping foreign students find something to do?

If that doesn't work out for you, go grab a few dollars and some quarters and hop on the 60 bus which has a stop right outside your university. Go ride it to Newport or Providence, whichever you feel like and follow some youngsters to the mall (Providence Place Mall) or to some fun places in Newport. That's probably one way to find some people of similiar age to yours to hang out with.

Good luck.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:42 PM

9,293 posts, read 14,908,083 times
I don't think there is much that is prohibited in terms of making friends.
What are you afraid might be prohibited?

Perhaps if you approach some fellow students in a friendly way and explain that you'd like to see the area, they might go with you. You are only about 15 minutes away from Newport. Many people go there for fun, especially in the summer.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:54 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times
Surely the exchange program offers activities and cultural orientation? Are you alone or with a group? What kind of exchange program is it? Do you live with a host family? Are you taking classes with American students or English as a Second language classes? Is there a union where you could get involved in ping-pong? A gym where you could join a class?

I think what he means by "prohibited" are cultural no-nos. For example, how forward can one be in approaching strangers. It is best to have a common activity like games in the union or sport or club activity. Just walking up to students and asking some question would also work. But avoid getting too forward or aggressive with females ----I assume you are male. ( I have had foreign students say "Would you like to come to my apartment?" back in the day). For our OP-that is a no-no!

Anyway--be patient, smile, and be watchful for situations where you could casually start a conversation by asking a question or join in an activity. I think the library, the union, the cafeteria and local coffee shops might be starting points. Welcome to America!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 PM

German spy

Uni was almost empty the couple days ago since its the 4th with july. But today i shared this concern with my prof. and I hop she helps me to start

i went to mall, uni provided me with a card for the bus actully but as i said people are in their own, i couldn't fin a point that I jump to them and say hey, whats up .. I directlty feel that i will have an answer close to what do u want or its not your bussniess

the problem could be because of this fear which comes from that i am new to thia culture and nor sure to its standerda .. I hope its only a matter of time

thanx

Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 PM

Hollytree

Tama got me right, so i need to know in details what is friendly and not friendlly approach it might aound like a silly question but bare with me i guess so crowd to take risks

Old 07-06-2010, 09:37 PM

Tama thank u for welcoming
America is a very wonderful place indeed

i am a part of program called mepi, we are like more than 100 middle easterns distributed in us universities to attend leadership class and to have what called civic engagment, so we are going to visit oficials.

As far rwi we are 14 livin in the uni dorms we do go out but the point when i go to the mall with them for examle its nothing much than going to a mall in my country because im going oit with people i alredy know them and have the same culture .. I want to try the american life style and to have american friends

the problem is its summer and the uni has minor activity i barly notice student here and there in adittion to that we do not have acess to all the facilities like the gym for example

Old 07-07-2010, 05:49 AM

9,293 posts, read 14,908,083 times
I'm afraid a few weeks isn't much time to make many friends. And, as you say, it's summer and the campus is a bit deserted. You might just have to settle for talking to a few people and trying to get to know them even a little bit.

You will find few American students who know anything about Bahrain, so maybe, after some polite exchanges such as "hello, how are you... hot day isn't it?" you could start to tell someone about your country. If they seem interested and start asking you questions, you could also ask questions about America. It would then be acceptable to say something like... I'm on my way to the cafeteria to get a drink, would you like to come too?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:21 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times
My experience is that such programs have set-up opportunities for participants to mix with Americans through partnering activities. If your program just leaves you in your own groups and doesn't offer mixers or American students as hosts it is doing you a disservice for sure. Ask them to provide opportunities to meet Americans. Maybe after the holiday there are plans for such opportunties. If not, it is pretty difficult to meet locals.

The "hello how are you" is not appreciated in my experience. If you can, get out of the large group and with just one other member go to the union or the cafeteria and speak English togerher. Ask someone nearby a question about something university related and at some point, someone will be curious and ask you something about yourself. If someone is playing ping-pong or another game, you and your friend could ask for a round.

( Church campus organizations often are good sharing opportunities. They are interested in foreign students usually. Unfortunately, they may have a desire to prosletize but if you can listen politely and not let it be a problem, it could allow for meeting people.)

Old 07-07-2010, 12:19 PM

50 posts, read 227,429 times
This will help you out. Go to GILLARY'S tAVERN IN bRISTOL ANY NIGHT after 8pm. It is a hang out for local college students. they have bands and a fun time. It is a safe place and you will find many people your age. It should be easy for you to find people to talk with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island