Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:53 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,773 times

Advertisements

No problem- Best of luck
And pack warm clothes- it is getting chilly and very windy here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 08:42 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
Well, Warwick has good parts and bad parts. It's not so easy to just give you a general answer about its safety. Are you sure though about the commute from Warwick to Newport? I don't know if I'd want to do that every day if there's a way to avoid it.
I will give you a general answer about Warwick's safety: Yes, it's a safe place to live.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:12 AM

688 posts, read 2,135,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
I will give you a general answer about Warwick's safety: Yes, it's a safe place to live.
Hah! But yes, Rnrboy is probably right. You could do worse than picking Warwick.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:52 PM

15 posts, read 29,817 times
Well that's good to know. I leave for my Newport visit/apartment search tomorrow so I guess I will find all of this out then.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:49 AM

102 posts, read 393,505 times
I disagree that Fall River should be bottom of your list ! There are some great neighborhoods in Fall River especially up on Presidential Avenue area and around the parks, and rents tend to be slightly lower there. And, Fall River is an easy drive into big city Providence for live shows, nightlife, and easy commute to Newport.
Compared to San Diego, prepare yourself for a shock from rapid weather fluctuations in southeastern New England.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:50 PM

I agree, but I may be biased because I live in Fall River

Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 PM

15 posts, read 29,817 times
Well I am I am in Middletown right now. It's so pretty in rhode island! The tree colors are fantastic! Definitely no palm trees like so cal. I may check out fall river what neighborhoods should I check out?

Old 10-18-2010, 08:22 PM

If you are coming to Fall River, ONLY the highlands area...

these are the highlands area in red & blue (marked by lrfox here)

Highlands

I am in the blue area- We love it here. Very quick access to various major roads. We are a few blocks from hospital, doctors office right down the street. Safe neighborhood. A lot of places in area for a quick bite and a short drive to ANYTHING we need.

I live in a 1500 sq. foot home (does not included laundry room in basement), newly updated, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and pay 1500/mth (to give you an idea of prices)

Old 10-19-2010, 04:41 AM

583 posts, read 1,325,198 times
I wouldn't move to Fall River if I were you- you'd be really pushing the culture shock factor. It's got some overlooked nice parts, but on the whole it can be quite bleak in the winter- that's an understatement for someone coming from So Cal. And, you'll likely need your creature comforts for the transition, as you mentioned -good shopping, fun nightlife, and newer apts, none of which FR really has. Yes there is a Walmart plaza nearby- but coming from So Cal, I'll bet you'll drive an hour to get to Garden City in Cranston, if not Boston! I beleive Ms. Ohio has a family and child to keep her busy, I'm guessing you are a single female , and I wouldn't recommend FR for - furthermore, the Portgugese community are a tough nut to crack for a lot of different people. This may be tough to swallow for our readers, but let's be realistic now.

Last edited by Saltatrix; 10-19-2010 at 04:50 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 03:47 PM

Sal- No, I don't have ANY family or friends here. We just moved here in Aug. Sure Fall River doesn't have a mall, but hell, there are about 3-4 good ones within a 15mil drive not to include the MANY MANY plazas and stand alone stores within a 15min drive. I am a shop-o-holic and I LOVE it here. Why does everyone want everything to be right in the town they live in? :/ Not sure what eyes you are looking at when coming into FR, but the people here have been nothing but nice to us and very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island