Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:42 PM

15 posts, read 29,847 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but I really need advice.

I was just offered a position in Newport and my position will start Nov 8th. Sounds ok right...well I just found out yesterday....and I live in San Diego. My brain is going a mile a minute trying to find an apartment online. So now I am moving at a frantic pace trying to find a decent place to live in 4 days.

I will be flying to Newport next week to find a new place. This is where my questions come in.

I have been looking on Craigslist and most of the apartments look really really old..wood paneling in my grandma's creepy basement old. That is not a look I am used to. I understand the East Coast history but that history does not include shag carpet. Can anyone tell me where the newer apartments are? I am a young professional (29) and I would like to live near the necessities. Grocery stores (I hear there are many Whole Food stores around yaaay), hospitals, shopping, transportation, nightlife (not a necessity but I need to meet new people). What areas should i concentrate on? I am looking for safe neighborhoods and those with other young professionals.

If it helps I am an African American female, I love diverse neighborhoods, with good eats and cultural happenings (it doesn't have to be of the black variety ). I dig yoga (so if you know a good studio let me know). My budget is no more than 1000. Any help would be super appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 06:16 AM

9,351 posts, read 14,976,178 times
You may very well have to make an adjustment to "old" because that is what we are all about here. The closest thing you might get to "new" is a recently done over condo up for rent but your budget is a bit low for that- if you could go up to the 1200-1400 range it would be better.

Newport is a relatively small town, so if you are within the city limits, I wouldn't worry about proximity to restaurants, nightlife, etc. It can be sometimes quiet in the off season however. One problem you may have is finding good year round rentals, especially condos, because in the summer places can be rented by the week to tourists at $1500 a week or so.

However, if you keep an open mind about historic and about small, you'll find something. On Craigslist, I just saw a couple of units on Bellevue avenue in your range which is a prime area.

As far as diversity goes, many blacks live in the neighborhoods off Broadway.

Welcome to Rhode Island, it will quite different from what you are used to in San Diego. Fall is in full swing here right now, so bring a light coat and prepare for gusty wind.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:38 AM

583 posts, read 1,327,245 times
You are lucky to get a job in Newport, it is one of the most beautiful, small ''cities'' in the nation, and has a storied AA history at that -just google "Newport Gardner". It's a fun place, and there's plenty to see and do in the area. Aside from the Navy and some other things, in the off-season especially, the late 20 to mid-30 professional type is more lacking than others; overall jobs are seasonal, housing is expensive. The old West Broadway neighborhood, now known as MLK Blvd, has historically had an AA community, but following high-school those that still have family there probably leave. The Navy base/college does attract many more diverse, eligable professionals in that age range, who often live in Middletown, next to Npt, where housing is newer, and not quite as expensive. I'm in Providence now, but still miss Innerlight Yoga in Middletown.

Last edited by Saltatrix; 10-15-2010 at 07:47 AM..

Old 10-15-2010, 02:58 PM

Thanks so much for the info Holly and Sal. Well to be honest I have never lived in an exclusively black neighborhood. That may sound funny but it's just the way it was. So that is something I am not used too.
I know I won't be able to live in Newport and I don't mind commuting. I was actually thinking Providence, Cranston, Warrick, Fall River.

When I say diverse I mean people of all races. I love to learn new things and meet new people.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:46 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,079,902 times
Personally I would avoid Fall River, just my opinion. Commuting in to Newport can be rough in the summer, hopefully you have parking at you place of employment. Check Middletown, Portsmouth, Tiverton, Bristol. You may also find a winter season rental that you can get at a great price for now but will have to move in May, but it will give you time to get to know the area and really decide where you want to live. Craigslist has some places but more can be found from the realtors. I would call them and explain your situation, they will hopefully be able to save you some time and find the perfect place.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:12 PM

Ok Fall River will be on my no list. I have been reading about it and it sounds very industrial. Not my thing.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:00 PM

688 posts, read 2,138,068 times
Keep the commute in mind if you decide to live in Providence. I think you'd probably like the East Side in Providence but the commute to work every day would be hellish, especially in the wintertime.
Also, good luck with finding a 'newish' apartment. If I were you I'd try to grab something with a short-term lease and start looking for real when you actually live in the state.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:40 PM

Thanks Spy. It looks like that is what I am gonna do. I think I am gonna look around Middletown or Bristol since it's close to Newport where i will be working.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:17 PM

688 posts, read 2,138,068 times
What's your method of transportation? Driving yourself or will you be riding the bus?

Makes a bit of a difference around here I'm afraid.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:02 PM

I'm gonna bring my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island