Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:34 PM

215 posts, read 308,114 times

Advertisements

Thinking of Bishop Hendricken and Bay View Academy....any info on these schools...and what do you think of single sex schools? Good or bad idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 01:05 PM

132 posts, read 250,037 times
Single sex education is great. You'll find boys behave much better in an all male environment, and will bond closer working in groups. Boys have a tendency of acting up more when girls are around. The problem with the schools you listed, is that these schools still operate as if its 1961, not 2011. I know they enjoy brainwashing the kids into believing that same sex marriage will destroy the world.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:52 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me in RI View Post
Thinking of Bishop Hendricken and Bay View Academy....any info on these schools...and what do you think of single sex schools? Good or bad idea?
They are both excellent schools.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro-Dialin View Post
Single sex education is great. You'll find boys behave much better in an all male environment, and will bond closer working in groups. Boys have a tendency of acting up more when girls are around. The problem with the schools you listed, is that these schools still operate as if its 1961, not 2011. I know they enjoy brainwashing the kids into believing that same sex marriage will destroy the world.
Thanks... I'm not against same sex marriage... but for young children/adults, I prefer the Institution of heterosexual marriage being taught...I feel it's purpose is to foster a stable comunity and good environment for bringing up children. Kids today have to deal with too much, let alone their sexuality. I think it confuses children/teens.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:27 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me in RI View Post
Thanks... I'm not against same sex marriage... but for young children/adults, I prefer the Institution of heterosexual marriage being taught...I feel it's purpose is to foster a stable comunity and good environment for bringing up children. Kids today have to deal with too much, let alone their sexuality. I think it confuses children/teens.
Bay View and Hendricken are sister and brother schools. They cooperate for plays, musicals and even proms.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,402 times
You may to to fan Bay View Academy on Facebook to see what is happening with its girls! Not sure if Hendricken has a FB page Link: to BVA [url=//www.facebook.com/pages/St-Mary-Academy-Bay-View/270381823805]St. Mary Academy - Bay View | Facebook[/url]. Bay View is the oldest and largest all girls school in New England. They really know how to create women of substance and women of impact.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,397 times
It's an excellent school! I'm an alum and loved every minute of it. I also felt that I received a wonderful education and my closest friends are all Bay View grads. The single-sex environment allows the girls to really focus on their academics and friendships. It also allows the girls to be the leaders in WHATEVER they decide to become involved with. I agree with CC161, fan them on Facebook...they update their page daily with current news. It will give you a good feel for the school and for the community.
Good luck!
(PS: My brothers also went to Hendriken and loved it)

Old 03-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird191 View Post
It's an excellent school! I'm an alum and loved every minute of it. I also felt that I received a wonderful education and my closest friends are all Bay View grads. The single-sex environment allows the girls to really focus on their academics and friendships. It also allows the girls to be the leaders in WHATEVER they decide to become involved with. I agree with CC161, fan them on Facebook...they update their page daily with current news. It will give you a good feel for the school and for the community.
Good luck!
(PS: My brothers also went to Hendriken and loved it)
Thank you so much! The more research I do, I find I am definitely leaning towards Bay View and Hendricken! I actually just ran into a friend who has her son enrolled at Hendricken, and he loves it!
I think single-sex education is beneficial.. but just wanted other opinions and or recommendations.
I'll fan them on FB, too! Great idea!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 PM

308 posts, read 518,003 times
I am a graduate of Hendricken and I truly enjoyed my experience. I was able to attend some great colleges (undergrad and postgrad work) and Hendricken definitely prepared me by affording me a great foundation. Other than a prep school, like Portsmouth Abbey, I do not think I could of had a better opportunity.

On another note, as to the "same-sex marriage issue" I do not recall ever being taught that same-sex marriage was wrong. We were obviously taught a slanted view of abstinence and other christian morals, but never anything negative.

Also, there are a lot of great mentors and teachers at Hendricken that many students, myself included, still keep in touch with.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:10 AM

986 posts, read 2,334,889 times
Going along with this, I recently heard on the news that more and more co-ed schools are separating boys and girls at lunch. Apparently it helps prevent the boys from getting into fights and it helps the girls actually eat properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island