Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 11:26 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,931 times

Advertisements

Just curious...

What are the towns in RI with the BEST public school systems?

I've always admired Newport and vacation their frequently and have heard their public schools are less then desireable. So it got me thinking where the best ones are?!?!
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 01:34 PM

447 posts, read 1,850,208 times
Barrington and East Greenwich are usually considered the top 2 systems in the state - they tend to have the highest scores on standardized tests, highest graduation and college attendance rates, etc. I think that Lincoln is hot on their heels.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,564,294 times
I Second Barrington and EG by far.

this link has 2008 SAT scores by RI town
http://www.riedc.com/files/Moving%20to%20RI-2008.pdf

Old 08-06-2008, 05:05 AM

57 posts, read 340,388 times
You know in this case I am not sure you can judge a school district by its SAT scores. Barrington and EG are also two of the most affluent districts in the town. I would be hard pressed to believe that many if not most of those kids go through SAT prep courses which have been proven to improve scores dramatically. Historically those districts have been the most highly regarded but I would be more apt to judge on a school by school basis.
In that arena the best schools in RI would all be private. The private schools in RI are world class and blow Barrington and EG out of the water. This is strictly my opinion as no one seems to be willing to rate the two side by side. (Public V Private)

Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,564,294 times
Of course the private schools offer a better education. But they are also the price of a premier college tuition. Anyways, this thread was about the BEST PUBLIC school system with no mentioning of town affluence. Again the answer for this thread is EG and Barrington.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:02 AM

447 posts, read 1,850,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedog1 View Post
You know in this case I am not sure you can judge a school district by its SAT scores. Barrington and EG are also two of the most affluent districts in the town. I would be hard pressed to believe that many if not most of those kids go through SAT prep courses which have been proven to improve scores dramatically. Historically those districts have been the most highly regarded but I would be more apt to judge on a school by school basis.
In that arena the best schools in RI would all be private. The private schools in RI are world class and blow Barrington and EG out of the water. This is strictly my opinion as no one seems to be willing to rate the two side by side. (Public V Private)
I agree that the majority of kids at Barrington High take SAT prep courses (I would estimates somewhere in the vicinity of 60-70% - I was a school counselor for years there, so I have a pretty good idea). However, I disagree that the SAT scores are the only reason I would consider those districts the "best". Yes, we can trot out the standardized scores because that's "hard evidence", but as someone who worked for years in RI public education, had/have friends in districts all over the state, did a Master's program at Providence College, and attended professional development and conferences at a statewide level for years...I can tell you that I absolutely believe those 2 districts have a higher level of expectations, passionate and invested educators, and dedicated and competent administrators, above many other districts in the state.

That's not to say there aren't excellent, excellent schools in other districts (for example, the elementary school in Greenville, in Smithfield, is fantastic) but as a whole, as a district, the vast majority of educators in Rhode Island, I'm betting, would agree with me.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:21 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,971 times
Barrington, Portsmouth, Lincoln, and East Greenwich. Narragansett schools are not that bad either.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:25 AM

564 posts, read 1,880,665 times
My wifes cousin is an educator, she and her family moved to Barrington for the schools...I take that as a hardy endorsement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island