Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:02 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times

Advertisements

Skytrekker, you're normally right on target but I'll do ya one better on crime: Even Providence is now below the national average.

I read an article in the Boston Globe a while back talking about how while crime rates across the country's big cities are increasing, P-town's is actually bucking the trend and decreasing.

Let's hope it continues.

P.S. This only pertains to violent crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 12:12 PM

36 posts, read 202,114 times
Default agree

Yeah, lets hope it keeps going that way. I don't see why it wouldn't. I have lived in a few larger cities and Providence really does a lot in regards to making it a good place to live.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:12 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey3882 View Post
Downtown Providence will always be a place to go to for entertainment, with the things they plan to do with all the new hotels the waterfront property that they will be putting up, I think it will stay the same. During the day you get the hussel and bustle of people at work, early evening the dinner crowd (very nice restaurants) and then at night the club and bar seen. There are some stange characters out at night....but don't you get that everywhere. They are trying to make Providence a tourist attraction. Are you interested in moving to any other surrounding cities?
I've considered a lot of places -- I looked seriously at Boston and the suburbs around it, but just got frustrated with what seemed to be endless red tape in Massachusetts. New Hampshire seemed too rural for me. Connecticut seemed nice, but I didn't find any one dynamic urban area -- it seemed to be more sprawling suburbs, which are okay... but not for a 30-something single so much.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:21 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Crime in Rhode Island and Providence is not bad- Providence is about average nationally, and the rest of the state is way below the national average.

Providence and Rhode Island have a long history of political corruption, with the 'underworld' supposedly involved. It remains to be seen if these allegations can be proven. Connecticut has seen corruption in its cities as well- especially the Mayors, and even at the top of State Government with John Rowland.
Think for a second... wasn't a Kennedy in political office in Rhode Island? Yes, Patrick Kennedy, son of Ted Kennedy. There's your answer to "is there political corruption in RI".

Old 08-14-2007, 04:38 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
Think for a second... wasn't a Kennedy in political office in Rhode Island? Yes, Patrick Kennedy, son of Ted Kennedy. There's your answer to "is there political corruption in RI".
Sasha

then with your statement I would assume you mean all the Kennedy's are corrupt? Which includes Congressmen Patrick Kennedy, son of the US Senator.

For whatever Senator Kennedy's sins- he has spent a lifetime as a tireless worker and crusader for people without money or power- thats more then I can say for many politicians. Your statement is biased and unfair.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:29 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times
I find most people with such a kneejerk reaction to the Kennedys tend to be rightwingers.

And rightwingers pointing a finger at corruption, is a tad ironic - to say the very, very least.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:25 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Sasha

then with your statement I would assume you mean all the Kennedy's are corrupt? Which includes Congressmen Patrick Kennedy, son of the US Senator.

For whatever Senator Kennedy's sins- he has spent a lifetime as a tireless worker and crusader for people without money or power- thats more then I can say for many politicians. Your statement is biased and unfair.
Ditto Skytrekker. The Kennedys have done some amazing things for New England (and the country) with regard to social welfare and human services.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:59 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
Not "wasn't", but "is". He bears the benefits and brunt of his name. I am not in his district and I don't know if I'd vote for him, but there is one thing he is not and that is corrupt. He might be to the left, but that in itself is not corrupt. No more than being to the right. Patrick has his faults, but they are mostly personal. Rhode Ilsand's corruption lies at the local level not in our state representation.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:40 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post
Ditto Skytrekker. The Kennedys have done some amazing things for New England (and the country) with regard to social welfare and human services.
I completely agree. The Kennedys have done wonderful things for New England. No question and no disagree. New England is on the map because of the Kennedys. No question.

------Moderator cut------

Rules state no comments or calling out of a moderator on a forrum
Would it be fair for me to give one to all Bush-bashing threads?
Politics can be discussed at the Politics and other controversies forum. NOT Here.
I have visited Boston several times and Newport once. I love New England and loved touring Hammersmith Farm. I am not from New England, no, but it is my favorite area of the country. Or it was. Peace to all.

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-16-2007 at 06:46 AM..

Old 08-22-2007, 07:33 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,872 times
Like most cities, Providence definitely has its bad areas, but i have never felt in danger being in downtown Providence at night. I have seen some "shady" areas though and you don't have to go too far outside downtown Providence to see that.

I would say RI in general and Providence is still pretty corrupt. There are lots of under 21 drinking spots that run "cash-only" bars. I know "cash-only" doesn't necessarily mean the place is corrupt, but these places do it for under age drinking and everyone knows about it and does nothing. I've seen cops bait and wait until a girl got in her car (letting her get in and just waiting), and then having 4 cops go after her as soon as she started the car. I've also heard some stories of a couple places that look like something from the sopranos.

As far as the Kennedy's, i wouldn't say they all are corrupt, but their has been corruption from the Kennedy family in the past. Supposedly rigged elections, fake votes, dirty tricks. Both parties have their share of dirty politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island