Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,464 times

Advertisements

Hi - I've been reading threads on this site for a while and have found them really helpful. I thought I would post my own question to the group.

My fiancee and I are looking for somewhere in New England to relocate. I'm originally from NYC and have lived a large part of my life there, but have lived places as diverse as Colorado (we're in Aspen for a short time now), New Hampshire, San Francisco, and Pennsylvania. My fiancee is from England and has lived or sailed through much of Europe.

We're done with NYC - he doesn't love the city and I don't want to raise kids there. We thought we could go back to Aspen (I was here last winter and met him when he was vacationing), but we REALLY miss the traditional, "normal" nature of the East Coast.

We'd like somewhere on or near the coast, as we'll likely buy a boat and spend weekends on the water. I do executive search so can really be anywhere - I love the idea of a small town but (sadly) end up missing some of the sophistication of a city - so we'd love a happy medium, ideally somewhere with a community feeling, near the water, maybe where people tend to move after being in a city for a long time. My fiancee is a plumber and electrician (when he's not sailing or cooking), so we'd also like somewhere where he can get up and running pretty quickly.

We're really open and are so looking forward to the next stage of our life - so any thoughts or recommendations would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Buying or renting? Budget? Size of home?

Old 03-19-2012, 04:10 PM

605 posts, read 1,093,330 times
"a word to the wise"...investigate, before you leap to a decision to move to any new area.

Take a 3 or 4 day drive through your chosen destinations. Read the Providence Journal everyday via the internet, listen to the local radio stations, and compare statistics on all the New England states. See which state or states continually lag behind the others.
oh and...good luck.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:13 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
"a word to the wise"...investigate, before you leap to a decision to move to any new area.

Take a 3 or 4 day drive through your chosen destinations. Read the Providence Journal everyday via the internet, listen to the local radio stations, and compare statistics on all the New England states. See which state or states continually lag behind the others.
oh and...good luck.
Reading the Providence Journal will give you some info to the area. Also pursue The Hartford Courant, New Haven Register and New London Day. These newspapers will give you a perspective to the Connecticut Coastal area east of New Haven, where the Long Island Sound water is cleaner.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Reading the Providence Journal will give you some info to the area. Also pursue The Hartford Courant, New Haven Register and New London Day. These newspapers will give you a perspective to the Connecticut Coastal area east of New Haven, where the Long Island Sound water is cleaner.
Agreed...when making a move, such as the young lady and her fiancee are making, you really don't want to choose the more difficult road, and pay for the decision for years to come. By doing a bit of investigation and honest evaluation, this mistake can be avoided.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:58 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,596,541 times
look into Warwick Neck or west shore rd. area (meadowbrook)
if you want to be close to relatively inexpensive places to dock
on the bay. there are others also (eg, bristol, gaspee). you can
live lots of places in the West Bay and be close to affordable docks.
if you would rather dock to an inlet to the ocean instead of the Bay
then look into Salt Pond/Point Judith. it's somewhat more expensive there
because the boats are much larger, made for rougher waters, unless you
just have a small boat and private dock in Salt Pond.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:03 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post

oh and...good luck.
Just for the record, I highly suggest you research via other avenues. The Providence Journal is owned by a conservative firm out of Texas and charge for online content, and (like many places), the radio waves are mostly dominated by out of touch right wing instigators who shape reality for many uninformed people. (With the stark exception of NPR.)

It is true though that there are definitely certain areas to steer away from, but none of those areas sound like they would attract you anyway.

I'm baaaaaaaack!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:04 AM

102 posts, read 393,486 times
Marinas.com lists 156 marinas in the tiny state of Rhode Island, and 20 of those are along the shoreline of Warwick. A boater living in any Rhode Island community within 10 miles of the salt water is gonna find a marina a hop-skip-and-a-jump away. The level of service available varies from one marina to another. I had to give up sailing about ten years ago because of health and age issues, and at that time the cost of my slip was over $100 per foot.

The plumbing / electrician component of your income should be considered as relates to the R.I. economy. Construction jobs declined by 700 last month, as reported by the RI Dept. of Labor.

The RI housing market continues to be very depressed. Latest figures by the RI Association of Realtors recorded existing home sales count is up, but prices continue to decline. New home construction as evidenced by building permits is just about non-existent. Probably the opportunity of a lifetime for a first time home buyer with excellent credit, to buy.

Last edited by Hoxsie454; 03-23-2012 at 09:14 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I'm baaaaaaaack!
welcome, It's been rather boring without you.

Quote:
The Providence Journal is owned by a conservative firm out of Texas and charge for online content, and (like many places), the radio waves are mostly dominated by out of touch right wing instigators who shape reality for many uninformed people. (With the stark exception of NPR.)
Still seeing the boogieman at any sign of news you don't agree with.
You've insinuated this exact thing before?? LOL
Yeah right, the Providence Journal is tainting the news to the right. That's actually funny. Would you care to give us an example?

Quote:
The RI housing market continues to be very depressed. Latest figures by the RI Association of Realtors recorded existing home sales count is up, but prices continue to decline. New home construction as evidenced by building permits is just about non-existent
Oh man, that can't be true...because we all know the RI Association of Realtors are directed by crazy right wing zealots, trying to sabotage the RI economy.
You are so predictable!

Old 03-25-2012, 09:28 AM

583 posts, read 1,325,083 times
I would highly recommend the Newport area (including Middletown), Jamestown, Narragansett/Wakefield area, or even Westerly (just 2 hours to NYC!) These are beautiful communities with varying degrees of wealth, sophistication or coolness factors, as opposed to some of the nicer but more conservative suburban communities like East Greenwich and Barrington (Borington). I think Cranston and Warwick would be too RI for you, very generally speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island